5/11/03 Club Helsinki Great Barrington, MA anniversary

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

5/11/03 Club Helsinki Great Barrington, MA anniversary

I just noticed it has been two years to the day since the historic aliveacoustic performance! That was a hell of a night! I can only hope for another one like it someday. Everyone should pop in that record tonight and celebrate.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

05/11/2003: Club Helsinki: Great Barrington, MA
Set I: Before You Were Born, Poor Boy*, Torque^, 74#, BJ's tune$, Nellie Jean, If One of Us Should Fall@, money honey!
Set II: instrumental& > song of the world%, Soft Machine+, keep off the grass>^^, Sorry#> did you call your mothers?> Sorry~, Through the Iron Gate
Encore: Lion on a Rock**
Notes: * Andrew on backing vocals. ^ Andrew on steelpan. # Brad on banjo, Marc on guitar, and Andrew on bass & drums. $ this was introduced by Andrew saying, "let there be no secret about this next song"... BJ's wholesale store really dug the Slip and asked them to write a jingle for the store, so they did, and BJ's didn't want it. i think my favorite lyric was "I'll be your BJ's wholesale lover". ;) Also, Brad ripped it up with the kazoo solo. @ with a lovely slide intro. ! "oh honey, everything about you is money"... Brad: banjo, Andrew: bass, Marc: guitar. marc's guitar solo was sweet! Brad also played the kazoo on this tune. & Andrew on flute... ethan calls it "acoma". % this is the tune people have been referencing as "kurdistan" and/or something else along those lines ("middle eastern tune," etc.). someone asked the name of the tune last night and Brad said it was a song of the world; asking the name of it is like asking the name of the wind. During the (really incredible and energized) jam, Andrew got the audience clapping.. a similar thing happened at the Andover show, and i was wondering if he was trying to get the crowd to do a 4 over 3 thing but they just kept melting back into the groove easiest to hear. I guess you can't teach polyrhythms on the fly (but man wouldn't it be cool to have half the audience clapping in 3 and the other half clapping in 4??) anyway... + Brad: slide gtr, Marc: guitar, Andrew: bass, then Andrew gave the bass to Marc and got on drums. don't know the name of this tune either, although it's been played at several shows recently. "slide tune" does the trick for me, but I've also called it "sleep" just because i've only heard it with vocals twice (at somerville & last night) and i haven't been able to pick out much else of the words. the main progression is I vi V IV. ^^ Brad on banjo. ~with "Kicked it in the Sun" verses (from "Perfect from Now On", by Built to Spill). another tune i don't know. first lyric was "things under my skin"; chorus included the line "keep off the grass". ** by mass audience request. [tasoula & kosta harlan - Monday, May 12, 2003; Cleantone - Fri Jul 18, 2003 ]
torph
Alsoa

Clinton,

How 'bout a little 5 track follow-up disc of the material that didn't make the record for us fellas & gals here at sliplive? pipedreams, but I wanna hear that Soft Machine! :roll:
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

They were not keen on that in the past. I haven't yet mixed any of the multitracks but the room mics are incredable for this show. Maybe the tenth anniversary :lol:
Katie
Invocation

That was such a magical night. I'll bet the audience recording sounds great, I remember it was so quiet during the second set that you could hear them washing the glasses and putting them away behind the bar. They also played Soft Machine acoustic @ the WWPV performance... one of my favorite versions I've heard of that tune.