5/6/04 - O'Dwyer's - Saratoga Springs, NY

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

5/6/04 - O'Dwyer's - Saratoga Springs, NY

Set 1:
Spacey introductory open >
Lots of Socks >
Paper Birds
Nellie Jean >
Soft Machine
Cut From The Cloth
I Hate Love

Set 2:
Untitled (“ The World is Only a Stage”)*
Even Rats
Untitled (“Freeze Politicians”)@
Lonely Boy >
Children of December
Suffocation Keep
Poor Boy
Sometimes True to Nothing

Encore:
Proud
Sway #

* This is the first line of the lyrics. I think I also heard "Life in Disguise," which is what Betty heard the previous night.

@ This is the lyric I caught.

# Rolling Stones - from Sticky Fingers – first time played

One of those "typical" Slip shows where the setlist doesn't begin to explain what went on. I had a great, great time. I may try to post one of my trademark raving, long-winded review/rants later on. First I need to calm down ;^)

hoby
torph
Alsoa

terrific show, IMO. its too bad the boys are asking that these shows NOT circulate- some of the material debuted is from the new record, and they understandably want to keep it out of circulation for the sake of freshness.

EO Dwyers was a suprisingly good room. I would recomend seeing a good show there if you have the chance. As far as the new material, I thought it was really strong. They are working out kinks in the live arrangemnts, but I definitly liked what I heard. And, of course, its wonderful to see Marc with a mic in front of him. He even introduced Brad last night. I mean the guy has uttered nary a word onstage in the last decade, and now, all of a sudden, he's singing- and not only on the new stuff: he's adding harmonies to a number of older slip tunes.

Nellie Jean was a stand out. They weren't happy with the version played in NH and were wary of attempting it again so soon. But they nailed it. Marc & Brad were grinning at eachother throughout, as if they were egging eachother on to keep on stepping it up and up. And they did, until it disolved into Machine. And a very solid Soft Machine at that. They ended it with the jam (which ebed & flowed with perfection), rather than going back into the verse/chorus section. A rather spacy electric Cloth followed. I Hate Love closed. I couldn't be happier that this is staying in rotation post-Mr. Davis. has anyone heard Nathan's version from Sad Songs Make Me Happy? It might one of his most depressing tunes. Beautiful, but heartwrenching. Brad's arrangement marries the dark lyrics with a very danceable, funky bassline & chord progression. A good closer.

The second set was as strong as the first, if a little lacadasical at moments. Rats brought the house down. The new Politicians tune rocks. STTN was played by request.

SICK ENCORE!
The crowd stomped the boys into Proud, which was perfectly done. the ending a little funkier than usual. The Stones cover Sway can be added to the list of covers-that-kill. How many Stones covers are on "the list" now? Quite a few, I think. Anyway, this one- Marc's pick, should have a long life on the road to come. Thanks for the setlist Hoby. Good to see everyone- cleantone, tom, sammmmmmmmy... take care and don't miss The Slip if you can help it. :wink:
sm
Beantown Rocker

nice. thanks for that, torph.

sway!! i love the filthy stones covers.