7/8/01 320 mp3 temp. download + need setlist help

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

7/8/01 320 mp3 temp. download + need setlist help

Just got some CD's from a friend of High Sierra late-night '01. AMAZING set, I had not heard it before. Here it is in 320 mp3, for a short time only so grab it now because I won't be hosting it for very long.

The SlipBase setlist is pretty wrong though and I took a stab at it but if anyone knows the tunes I don't or has any corrections or suggestions please chime in, I am going to seed this on etree so I'd like to track it out and get the setlist right. It comes in 2 parts, the first starts with intro >Get Me With Fuji and cuts out during All Blues. The second part goes from Weight of Solomon to the end. If anyone also has source info or an uncut part one please let me know. It sounds like an excellent audience or even possibly a matrix.

SlipBase also lists it as 7/9/01 which is technically correct as it actually occured in the AM of 7/9 but since they played tahoe vista on the 9th
(from db.etree) I'm going to call this one 7/8 late night.

http://www.mamascookinmusic.com/slip2001-07-08.zip

Here's what SlipBase has:

07/09/2001: HSMF: Quincy, CA
Set I: Funk'n Groovehouse, Untitled (Bikes on Dogs?? Hydra??), Get Me with Fuji, Phase 1*, The Weight of Solomon**, Dogs on Bikes^ > JAM# >Moral Decay# > Jam^^
Notes: * with Fareed Haque and keyboardist (both from Garaj Mahal). ** with Jessica (from the Living Daylights). ^ with everyone else mentioned plus loads of other people including Motet drummers and Kai Eckhart (from Garaj Majal) on bass. # will all the same people plus the flautist from Cabaret Diosa, jam started with Kai Eckhart getting the crowd to sing a simple rhythm that Brad played as the "rhythm" section on the jam. ^^ Brad improvising vocals. Incredible Big thanks to Adam Clark for all the HSMF setlists and reviews ;) .

Here's what I have so far:
intro>
Get Me With Fuji
unknown >
Nellie Jean>
jam>
Phase One > (with Fareed?)
All Blues (cut) (with Jessica Lurie, Fareed, Eric Levy?
Weight of Solomon (with Jessica Lurie)
Rythym-a-Ning > (with Garaj Mahal members)
jam > (with Garaj Mahal, drummers, Jessica Lurie, Female vocalist- from Cabaret Diosa??)
kai gets crowd chanting > (with everyone)
female vocal improv? > (with flute, singer from cabaret diosa? + everyone)
Brad vocal improv (w/lots of guests) >
In The Summertime >(with lots of guests)
jam > (with fewer guests?)
brief moral decay jam > (with guests?)
unknown but familiar sounding melody >
bass jam > end (sounds like it's just back to BAM at this point)

Can anyone name the tune after Fuji??
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

That would be Aptos.

One of the great, great oldies.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I knew I knew it, I have trouble with the names of instrumentals sometimes. Back when I was seeing the Slip in '01 I didn't know most of the song names. Then again Bill Frisell is one of my favorite artists ever and I don't know the names of 95% of his songs either, though I can generally guess the album. Garaj Mahal is another one of my top bands and I just saw them tear it up with Karl Denson at the Bobolink Festival this past weekend up in Belden, CA. Great little grass-roots festival. I was drawing blanks on a lot of their tunes that I knew as well though there could be other reasons for that :)
hoby

I'm the same way with Frisell. Don't know the names of any of his stuff and I love it all.

As for Slip tunes, I'm usually pretty good but Brad once had to remind me of the title of Wolof! :oops:
KLUE
Get Me with Fuji

Frissel 7/18

I managed to get a ticket to see Bill Frissell at a small place in New Haven in July. I'll let you'll know how it is.
Keep Lookin' Up for Ever
hoby

Re: Frissel 7/18

KLUE wrote:I managed to get a ticket to see Bill Frissell at a small place in New Haven in July. I'll let you'll know how it is.
I'll be seeing him with his trio later this month at the Iron Horse. We can trade notes.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Anyone have a name for the jam out of Rhythm-a-ning, know I know that one as well...
hoby

harrymcq wrote:Anyone have a name for the jam out of Rhythm-a-ning, know I know that one as well...
Now THAT one took me a little while to get.

I've got that on the 9/6/01 NoHo show listed as "Kick Samba."

The notes say " 'Kick' is the generic name for the jam that used to show up in Nellie (Bikes on Dogs)."

And it totally rocks.

hoby