Serpentfly 9/30/05 in framingham

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Big Bob
From the Gecko

Serpentfly 9/30/05 in framingham

http://uncommoncoffeehouse.org/

is anyone else planning on attending?
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Would like to but I don't think I can make it. I'm catching the thre in VT I think. She will also be in Boston when The Slip is in Southbridge. Thats a bummer. She is the opener at the show you mentioned in Framingham.
Big Bob
From the Gecko

yeah i saw the conflict between her paradise show and the slip in southbridge. its too bad that they arent be playing at the same venue. i haven't decided which i am going to go to, but considering how much more often the slip is around, i am leaning towards seeing leslie. maybe the slip will sell out and make my decision easy.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

yeah i saw the conflict between her paradise show and the slip in southbridge. its too bad that they arent be playing at the same venue. i haven't decided which i am going to go to, but considering how much more often the slip is around, i am leaning towards seeing leslie. maybe the slip will sell out and make my decision easy.
Thats sounds like a good plan. If I were not seeing her the three nights prior 'd do the same. I know a couple other people who are even though The Slip are half the drive that Leslie will be. She is just not as present up here as we might wish. Bring a taper ;) I think she has been recording her own shows lately cause I helped her pick some gear out. I need to get my hands on some. She has a bunch of new material (of course)
Big Bob
From the Gecko

The place was hard to find. I was looking for something that looked like a cafe, but it turns out that the Uncommon Coffeehouse is just a room at a parish.

Eventually I found it and the woman at the door said Leslie was in the middle of her first song. She only got to play 4 or 5 songs.

2 that i recall:

ambivilant and wholly emersed in the ambiance
moon river

after she played her last song she asked '1 more?' but a man in the back sternly said 'unfortunately, no' and Les Sampou jumped right on stage and started playing.

Leslie, her friend, my sister and I appeared to be the only people there under the age of fifty. She was very friendly and came over to say hello after she finished playing.

Her set was much too short, but sweet nonetheless.

now i must decide between Leslie and the SLiP for next friday.
macfly
Get Me with Fuji

is Leslie still selling her latest album through the mail? i've been meaning to get at that ever since it came out but i just haven't gotten around to it yet...
Big Bob
From the Gecko

macfly wrote:is Leslie still selling her latest album through the mail? i've been meaning to get at that ever since it came out but i just haven't gotten around to it yet...
i don't see why not. the address is here:

http://serpentfly.com/ordermusicindex.html
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I planned on seeing Tue, Wed, and Thur but cannot afford the damn gas. I'm so bummed. I'll probably catch her Saturday in Hartford only... :cry:
Katie
Invocation

Cleantone wrote:I planned on seeing Tue, Wed, and Thur but cannot afford the damn gas. I'm so bummed. I'll probably catch her Saturday in Hartford only... :cry:
That sucks. You're probably not missing much in Burlington though... I'm afraid it'll just be a short set again. With everything going on, I almost forgot, so I went to check the Radio Bean's website for a shedule to see what time she's playing... there's still the September calandar up. So I checked the local free paper Seven Days and they've got like 3 bands listed, no mention of Leslie. Finally I went down there, and still didn't find a shedule, so I asked the person working... who said 'oh yeah, there's some woman who came in and said she's playing at 9:30... I don't know who it was though.' Great. Fucking Radio Bean.... they've gotta stop cramming in so many musicians, half of which usually suck, and at least give someone the promotion of getting a schedule out on time. GRRrrrr.

Wish I could see Leslie at the Lagndon St Cafe in Montpelier.... oh well. Maybe next time. Too bad that probably won't be for another 6 months.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Andrew was tentatively playing with her tonight but I somehow feel like it might not happen that way. She said she is playing for about 45min in Montpelier. The show at Johnson State College is 10 minutes from a long time friend of mine's house. That show should be pretty good. The worst is that if I had known I wouldn't make VT I would hvae went to the tow shows in NY on Friday and Saturday. I hear the audience on Friday was really inconsiderate and yapping the whole time though. I should catch her Saturday but it is at a bar in Hartford. :barf:
Katie
Invocation

04/05 in Burlington...

I take that back, Burlington was interesting to say the least. I showed up at 9:30, and two other people were on stage... with still no mention of her playing, I was about ready to leave when I finally saw some familiar faces. (I think they may have actually double-booked, but Leslie's trusty laptop must have had proof of her confirmation of the gig, cause she kept the full slot till midnight.) Andrew was indeed there as well but had no instruments with him, so the first hour-or-so set was a bit more mellow... some new tunes, some I've heard before, but I'm bad with names. I remember a newer tune about a boy who is sick/dying of childhood illness, and one she said was about a circus performer, and there was a 'Georgia Hurricane' in there somewhere. Sound wasn't bad for the Bean, though she kept thinking it sounded muddy.

She took a break just after 11pm, and my roommates were kind enough to bring down a piccolo snare for Andrew, and with sticks, brushes and hand (& elbow & arm) percussion, more noises came out of the single drum than would think possible... if you've never heard/seen him play like that before. The second set was a bit louder, which was good because it also marked the appearance of one of the local drunks, who started yelling various things at them between and during songs... shouting at them that they were off-time or calling for "more bass", but then sometimes getting into it and throwing his fist in the air, rocking out. Quote of the night, from village idiot: "Hey! Drummer-man! Do it like you've never drummed before!" Uh yeaah.... Leslie must've been picturing how pissed off Cleantone would've been if he were there, cause she commented 'good thing we're not taping this one.' But he lost interest after she pulled out a cover of Def Leppard's 'Love Bites' when he asked for a cover, ("you know, this is the song you hear at the grocery store when you're buying your bananas") and after the heckler wobbled off on a bike, she picked up steam and played till nearly 1am. Lots of tunes from Cupcakes and Radishes with Andrew like Bad Tooth Doctor, Snowfall, Good and What We Had, and a few more solo songs (I recall a 'Standards for Spooners'). There was a pretty decent crowd all night despite the schedule confusion and lack of promotion. I know a bunch of my friends showed up that hadn't come out to see her before, and were pretty impressed. All in all, a good show at a crazy little coffee shop/bar.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Thanks Katie. Radio Bean, you gottan love/hate it! Whats pretty wierd is that I think Andrews kit was a block away at SoM headquarters... Oh well. Leslie was supposed to start recording her owns shows but I guess she hasn't started, or does only select ones. Sounds likes like an above average night at the bean anyway... I should see her saturday at a bar in Hartford (woohoo :( )
Katie
Invocation

Seriously, that place has character... both good and bad. No doubt one of the worst places to try and tape anything, so she made a good choice not bothering with this one. Wish I remembered more of what she played but it was a long night. I don't think Andrew ended up having a kit nearby cause I'd overheard him asking Mike&Beth about borowing something, which is why I made a phone call... but anyway, yeah good stuff.