built to spill 5/17/05 sonar lounge

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tim
The Weight of Solomon

built to spill 5/17/05 sonar lounge

after years of waiting i FINALLY got the the chance to see built to spill last night. i've spent the last two and a half years listening to their studio efforts and live album on a regular basis, all the time waiting for my chance to see them in the flesh. their songs are epic and their live shows have garnered the same repuatation so, needless to say, i had high expectations going to the sonar lounge last night. i'm glad to report that they did not disappoint and the show last night was definitely the best show i've seen this year and will rank up there with some pearl jam concerts as one of the best rock shows i've witnessed. the setlist was something like this,

Stab
Strange
Built to Spill
Distopian Dream Girl
I Would Hurt A Fly
Going Against Your Mind*
Plan
When Not Being Stupid
Alien Fugue
In Your Mind
You Were Right
Big Dipper
Sidewalk
Carry the Zero

E. Stop the Show

*during the "rock out" section the stage lights went out by accident for at least a minute but the band didn't let up, they just rocked out harder, intense!!!

the end section to 'stab' had me picking my jaw up off the ground and seeing 'you were right' gave the already unique lyrics a much deeper meaning. all in all it was pretty a amazing show. i spent most of it in a trance like state just staring at the stage and doing my best to rock out with the limited personal space i had. the only drawback was the club itself which was like a mini warehouse packed to the brim with people, a total sweat box! i can do a good job grooving in a crowded club but it's alot harder to ROCK OUT with people all up in yo grill. drinks were definitely needed to deal with the overbearing crowd of indie hipster that are too cool for school, so i had the choice of hanging near the bar with limited view or venturing up to the front of the stage to witness all the action. needless to say, i chose the spot where the beer was readily available. i had to smile at the situation though when doug sang the line "enough to penetrate my comfort zone". it was good to see the band was all smiles even though the crowd wasn't. i wanted to hang around afterwards and ask doug about the new album and any dates they might be doing in support of that but my ride was too pissed to deal with the crowd of indie kids and meatheads so i had to bounce. i'm definitley hoping they tour some more so my next chance to see them will be sooner rather than later. hopefully i'll get my twin falls>some at my next show.

edit- found a more accurate setlist than the one i had initially posted
Last edited by tim on Wed May 18, 2005 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
casey
Alsoa

good to hear. wish I could have caught them in philly but I didn't have the cash
sm
Beantown Rocker

a little late on this, but duly envious, Tim. i've been waiting a little longer to see them, since falling in love with their music 6 years ago... they STILL havent played a show in Canada.. or, rather, thats not true, they havent played a show in Canada within 2 timezones is more accurate... Detroit has been the closest they've come, but timing, coupled with the fact that i fucking hate Detroit, has always kept me saying "next time"....