Roll Call: Barrs in Montreal June 2

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

bradm
Beantown Rocker

Roll Call: Barrs in Montreal June 2

I'll be heading to Montreal tomorrow for The Barr Brothers (and Elfin Saddle, an act I don't know) at Cabaret du Mile End, with the recording rig along for the ride. Is anyone else from here going to be there?

Aloha,
Brad
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

Re: Roll Call: Barrs in Montreal June 2

Wish I was going. Have a good time, I'm sure it'll be a great show. Can't wait to hear the tape (hopefully, fingers crossed)...
If you get a chance to talk to anyone from the band, do you wanna ask them which record label is releasing their album in the fall? From what I've heard it's not Arts & Crafts (my friend works there), which I was pretty surprised about seeing as how their top bands seem to love The Barrs.
Twitter: @lucsamuels
bradm
Beantown Rocker

The Barr Brothers
Thursday, June 2, 2011
Cabaret du Mile End
Montreal, QC

Intro >
Old Mythologies
Kisses From Chelsea
Deacon's Son
Ooh, Belle
The Devil's Harp
Lord I Just Can't Keep From Crying (Blind Willie Johnson)
The Darkness Has Arms
Little Lover
Please Let Me Let It Go
Beggar In The Morning
Give The Devil Back His Heart

If You Leave Me
Let There Be Horses

The show was amazing. You know how Brad has that piece of thread attached to one of the strings on his acoustic, which he pulls on to make a kind of drone effect? This time, he had 10 or 15 pieces of thread (well, fishing line, I think) attached, pieces that were so long as to reach from the stage all the way across the floor to the bar. The threads were handed out to the audience, passed back so they were fanned out and stretched as far as they could, with the audience keeping them taut and pulled on for the droning; Brad was just varying the fingering on his fret board.

And the lighting was cool, too. There were plain white sheets hung across the wall behind the stage, and household lamps placed around the stage (for example, on the floor in front of the drum kit), so that shadows were cast on the sheets. The intensity of the lamps was varied continuously (under the control of someone named Felix), and with the movements of the musicians (and their instruments, like the cymbals, for example), the shadows and the light show was amazing to watch. I wish the show had been videotaped, but I doubt it was.

I also want to them open for MMJ when they play at Metropolis in July.

Aloha,
Brad
Last edited by bradm on Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
discofrank
Mudslide

Best show I've ever seen The Brothers play! The Intro was so sick! Reminded me of The Slip...

Do you have clearance to share your recording Brad? Would LOVE to hear that stuff again!

Cheers!
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

Sounds like quite the show. Hope you can post your recording Brad. Doesn't seem like any video is going to surface which is a shame, it'd be cool to see the audience pulling those threads.
Twitter: @lucsamuels
discofrank
Mudslide

They also played a few songs around a single microphone (bluegrass style) with Sarah on another guitar, Andres on the organ and Andrew on the "peanut banjo" which looked like a violin. He even had a little solo on the thing. One of the songs was Little Lover and the other one was a new one that I really enjoyed.

Brad also played a Daddy Mojo cigar box guitar for the intro and Lord I Just Can't Keep From Cryin'... These guitars are made in Montreal... check them out!

What a great night! :)