Nathan Moore 4.1.8 Matt Murphy's

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

chloe
Lion on a Rock

Nathan Moore 4.1.8 Matt Murphy's

Please allow me to preface this by saying this is an extremely drunk account of the evening, so please forgive misspellings etc.... That and i'm out of practice and brought neither pen nor paper, which was stupid, and so will just be able to recount what floats to the surface... sorry.....

A few thoughts on why i love what nathan does when he starts playing.... nathan is the sort of artist who will literally stop mid-song, mid-verse and speak something heartwrenchingly poetic that just occured to him, that time, singing that song, in that place, that night, just then.... and nathan doesn't keep it in, he stops the show and speaks in a heartbreaking honesty. sometimes artists will touch on the universal and you'll go, oh yeah.... i know what that feels like, but there is an element of honestly in nathan's expression that does not presuppose experience, the sheer fact of his blatant description can take you there, and you will still stand there and think.... oh yeah.... i know what that feels like, even if you haven't ever felt that before..... he makes me think that it's more than just letters that make musician and magician such similar words.

ok.... what i can remember of the setlist... oh music gods help me...... or anyone who was also there....

-I Still Cook For Two
-Tell Me More
-the awesome song/poem that includes lyrics on breathing trees and drunken thugs i hadn't heard for years and years
-When A Woman
-Wandering Angeus
-Before You Were Born (a la nathan.... not the instrumentation you've heard via surprise me.... real treat...)
-song which included the lyric "secret from my ?side?" maybe, in the first verse...... with a "she" in front... maybe....
-a gorgeous song i could only classify by identifying the lyrics "mother of my child" and a lyrically contrasting "virgin bride"
-don't know the technical title, but "WasTed I Was" re: ted, not the ted i know, the one nathan does....
-a song that turned into a trio sing-a-long of which i only concentrated on the la la la's..... but i liked it and i want to hear it again.....
-what sounded like it was a fairly new song involving well place pre-recorded loops which, i'm sorry, i was dancing to too much to concentrate on words as well as i need to remember them, but i know it made me smile....

ok... well.... for drunk off my a*# and at 4.10 am 11 songs ain't so bad.... hlep me out if you were there.... and if you weren't there, well, i promise i boogied a bit for you but you still missed out and should be there on April 2'nd.... no really..... there'll be a good drink at the bar and some good music being played...

sorry all i can identify is mostly identifying lyrics, and i promise i'll bring a pen tomorrow...
chloe
Lion on a Rock

ok..... just woke with Nowhere From Here To Go runnin' through my head and thought.... not just a dream.... also really happened last night, so add that to the setlist. that and a song i would call Never Settle For Less though there may be a better name that already exists....

and damnit, there was another one i forgot between my cigarette and getting back to the computer..... hmmmm..... i was singing the lalas from that afforementioned la la song and my mind wandered to happy thoughts, so i blame the lalas. also there was a new song nathan referred to as Dumbo that was just shimmering with imagery. i think this is seperate from any other new songs i've gotten down here, but i could be totally wrong....
Big Bob
From the Gecko

-the awesome song/poem that includes lyrics on breathing trees and drunken thugs i hadn't heard for years and years
Talkin' Walkin' Round Town Blues
-a gorgeous song i could only classify by identifying the lyrics "mother of my child" and a lyrically contrasting "virgin bride"
Two Girls

^Those two that you mentioned are on his jukebox on www.percyboyd.com he played them the night before in Providence too.

At Pete's Candy Store, Nathan mentioned that he is addicted to that new 'delta blues' arrangement of Before You Were Born. He said that if he disappears and changes his name and we never hear from him again, he's off living a new life playing delta blues somewhere.

As for a comprehensive setlist, the whiskey had other plans that involved the shear enjoyment of living in the moment. Note taking was not one of the activities last night.

The sincerity that bursts forth from nathan and his guitar fills the room with magic, yes yes it does.

Oh, the beauty!

really.
mike
Tenfold

such a great show. setlist includes (copying over what's above):

I Still Cook For Two
Tell Me More
Talkin' Walkin' Round Town Blues (name of the "breathing trees" tune)
When A Woman
Wandering Angeus
Before You Were Born
Never Settle for Less (includes "pulled my scecret from her chest")
Ted (WasTed - not sure bout title)
? (la la la song)
Nowhere from Here to Go
Who am I?
Two Girls (includes "mother of my children")
Dumbo
Sitting on top of the world (Cover)

Also a bunch of tunes I didn't recognize (and may not be recorded). egads
chloe
Lion on a Rock

wow.... you guys are awesome....

just woke up from the nap that erased the hangover... mmm... fresh slate... but i know know know we can add Mouse to that list above....

and can someone help me remember if Summer of My Fall was the last song played by nathan, the first song jason played by surprise me mr. davis after the show ended, or both. I think it was both but as it was the last song the chances i'm wrong are high.

lookin forward to tonight :)
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I sort of hope Jason is recording them. Not that it would be easy to get them from him.
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

anyone taping the VT shows?

I just can't believe I am seeing Nathan three weeks in a row. How special is that? Not to mention once with SMMD.....
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I'm planning on the 7th and 8th (my 30th bday). I wouldn't expect anyone to tape the others unless Bear makes a VT show.
tyler
From the Gecko

So remind me, for the VT shows?

5th at Parima, 7th at the Monkey House, 8th at Radio Bean is it?

Have a Battle of the Bands to run on the 5th (and that place is usually 21+ anyway), but I can practically throw a rock at the Monkey House from where I am and the Radio Bean is a cool spot so I should be able to make those.
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

Apr 3 Langdon Street Café, Montpelier , VT Anais Mitchell's Transcontinental Revue with Nathan Moore Time: 8 pm Cost: $8.00

Apr 5 Parima, Burlington, VT Special guest Joe Adler

Time: 8pm Cost: $5

Apr 6 Colony Café, Woodstock, NY Special guest Joe Adler

Time: 7 pm Cost: $10

Apr 7 Monkey House, Winooski , VT The Cannon Fodder Songwriter Series

Time: 9 pm Cost: $6.00

Apr 8 Radio Bean, Burlington , VT Time: 8:30 Cost:Free
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

Clinton, let me buy you a birthday beer on Tuesday!
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Okay, I'll let you. ;) Those $5 shakes are tasty. I hope they still have those.

I am just a little let down. This 4/8 birthday show was actually going to be a Mr. Davis unannounced gig. That all fell through though. Luckily it will still be Nathan solo!

I've been fairly sick the last few days and I am not sure if it is still coming on or not. I prey it fades over the next couple of days. It originally felt like I had a 10 day sinus thing coming on. I have to work at Pearl St. tomorrow and Saturday. That ought to wipe me out pretty good. I REALLY want to be healthy for Monday and Tuesday. I have to take a physical at 2:30 on Wednesday on my drive home for a new job. That of course includes a urine test. So my Birthday will be pretty tame but I would still like to catch a nice alcohol buzz if I can.
tyler
From the Gecko

Mr Davis at the Radio Bean :shock: holy crap.

oh well not like we've got long until the announced sort anyway.
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

Hope you feel better man. If not, you still gotta go. I saw him last night at in Montpelier, it was an amazing night.

Never been to the Radio Bean, I take it they don't server beer? Oh well, a tastey shake it is!
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

a $5 shake is one of the few drinks they have. It is a dark porter with espresso and maple syrup or something. I haven't been in at least two years but they only serve a few drinks from what I recall.

I think I am on the mend too. I feared that the worst was still ahead of me but woke up feeling decent today!