3/10 - Langerado Music Festival

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tyler
From the Gecko

3/10 - Langerado Music Festival

Langerado Music Festival - Sunset Stage
3/10/07
1:30 PM

Even Rats
Portrait of a Scientist*
Airplane/Primitive
Gaunt Debutante
Stealing Bread from a Crow
Life in Disguise
First Panda/Soft Machine
Children of December^

*Marc on keyboard, Brad on a red Gibson that I don't recall seeing before
^Brad sung it in a higher octave like he used to (yes!) and Marc played keys during the chorus

Solid show in the middle of a blazing hot field in Florida. Only an hour though, which was a bummer. Lots of people we're getting into it though, some were new to the band, some were old fans. Pretty good turnout too considering how early it was. Also, I saw Brad and Jesse from Apollo Sunshine watching Cat Power from the side of the stage, if you care about that sort of thing.

Rest of the festival was awesome too. My Morning Jacket was far and away the best show there though, everything else was way below. I expected their live show to be great but not quite that epic, damn. Other highlights for me though were Apollo Sunshine, Explosions in the Sky, Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, Kieran Hebden and Steve Reid, The Hold Steady, and Cat Power. Good times all around. Looking forward now to going back to Vermont and not sweating my balls off anymore though.
francis
From the Gecko

i always enjoyed the higher octave. hopefully i'll be able to hear it again.

seems like MMJ just blows everyone away anymore.
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

two one six strikes again

State police say 216 arrests made at Sunrise event
By Jon Burstein
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted March 18 2007

State police vow to have an increased presence next year at a popular three-day music festival in Sunrise after making 216 arrests there last weekend.

Drug dealing and use was "open and flagrant" in front of uniformed officers at the Langerado Music Festival in Markham Park, held March 9-11, according to Capt. Carol Owsiany of the state division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco.

LocalLinks
"The deals were going down in front of them to the point that all they had to do was just turn around and make the arrests," Owsiany said.

State agents made 11 felony arrests on charges ranging from possession of opium to battery on a law enforcement officer.

The vast majority of the arrests were for misdemeanor marijuana possession and possession of alcohol by a minor. In addition, six beer vendors were caught selling alcohol to minors, Owsiany said.

She said although the arrests represent a small fraction of concertgoers, there could have been many more arrests if more ABT agents had been there.

About 20 ABT agents, three working undercover, were at the festival during the weekend, she said.

The Langerado Music Festival, in its fifth year, attracted about 15,000 people each day to watch a total of 47 bands that played on three stages. Approximately 2,500 concertgoers camped overnight at the park.

Langerado co-founder Ethan Schwartz said in a written statement that the festival prides itself on its family-friendly environment.

"Unfortunately, a handful of people, many of whom did not have tickets to the event, chose to break the law and were either ticketed or arrested," he said in the statement. "Langerado organizers are already working with the City of Sunrise, Broward County and the State of Florida to ensure that the festival remains the safe environment it has been since its inception."

The Langerado arrests come two months after ABT agents made about 200 arrests at the Chili Cookoff at C.B. Smith Park in Pembroke Pines. Most of those arrests were for underage drinking, Owsiany said.

Sunrise police made an additional eight arrests at Langerado, six for trespassing and two drug-related, said spokesman Lt. Robert Voss. Sunrise police focused on crowd control, traffic and keeping the peace, he said.

"It's been a well-organized event from our standpoint," he said. "We didn't experience any unnecessary problems."

Owsiany said although her agency made 200 arrests at last year's Langerado festival, agents thought this year the drug use was much more in the open.
Jenny
Yaki Soba

yeah I camped at langerado and heard sirens all night..I had no idea they had that many arrests though! I saw a chick strapped down onna stretcher cos she was havin a freak out prolly from all those farkin coppers...I think this year's Langerado may have even been worse than the biker place in mariville, NY where they have GOTV...glad GOTV is in CT this year...maybe it wont be as strict..

Asa side note I saw these 4 chicks sans shirts with their *assets* all painted up posing against a cop car...that was a gift those coppers didn't deserve, that's for sure.
If thoughts can do THAT to water, imagine what our thoughts can do to our minds.
tyler
From the Gecko

haha that's funny, I hardly saw any cops all weekend, except on Saturday when I saw 5 sitting at a picnic table not paying any attention to the debauchery going on all around them. i was walking around with a Heineken in my hand for parts of the weekend and I'm not 21. and no one seemed to pay any attention to the people firing up bowls in plain sight, either. must have all been at the campground then (I camped off-site at a sketchy swampy redneck campground, only cops I saw showed up when some hicks and some hippies nearly got into a fight...yeah some awkward tension there).

also, in regards to that mysterious 216: look at my Picasa album below and notice how many are in the Langerado folder. I can assure you that was unintentional. I really wish I knew what significance that number holds to the band because I've noticed it all over the place and it's weirding me out.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

MATT
Get Me with Fuji

clinton, great link man, thanks.