Burlington 12/14

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tyler
From the Gecko

Burlington 12/14

The Original Blue Air >
Paper Birds
Even Rats
Chasing Rabbits
Airplane/Primitive
I Hate Love
Moderate Threat >
Cowboy Up
Let There Be Horses
There's a Lie
First Panda in Space >
Soft Machine
If One Of Us Should Fall*
Proud
----
Alsoa (!)
Children of December

*Lizzie Powell on vox

...HOLY FUCKING GOD that was a sick show. Played for a little over two hours. Awesomely tight playing, they were so on the entire night. Proud had some different lyrics (or maybe just a bit different vocal melody, hard to tell) in the vocal part. Alsoa was amazing, fit right in with all the rest of the songs--not a lot of people were singing the words but everyone was still dancing and getting really into it. Great set, great playing, easily one of the best shows I've ever seen them play. Can't wait for Providence and the New Years run.
drewry
Cumulus

ALSOA! lucky!!!
you know our love will not fade away
chloe
Lion on a Rock

as was just witnessed.... all i have to say is.... well f&*c....

sick show..... too much in the afteraffects to type much....

but... the Alsoa (whoa.... they played alsoa....) crowd says "thank you!!!!

really tight show... definately have picked up a few tricks from five intense weeks of touring.... i encourage anyone who's had any thought second, third, or fourth about the slip to just go see another show, download a recording, heck, pm me and i'll burn you a good one, but these guys are HOT right now and the world would do good to get to a show.... guess i have a few things to type afterall....

there was an overwhelmingly huge sound the entire evening. it was commented to me at the outset by a veteran music fan that it was a wonder it was only three people on stage... i knew what he meant.... i had just finished telling him how, besides the effect of the people i reconnect with at shows, the fact that every time i see these guys play, they get better, and it inspires me to take a look at what i think i'm doing well and try to do it better. he knew what i meant (hey paul)

anyhow... chasing rabbits had a freakin crazy middle part with tons of distortion and an insane brad vs. marc off....... i was transported to another plane of existence (maybe i intended the pun.... maybe i didn't) during airplane/primitive, though that song kinda does that to me anyways....

and cowboy up had folks grinding.... it's a fact.... that song is packed.... good sights, good sounds, many happy people...

and then....

alsoa....

chloe
Katie
Invocation

It's neary 3am, I have to work in 6 hours, but I'm too excited and happy to sleep just yet... and once again I have The Slip to thank for it.

Chloe took more extensive notes than I, but highlights for me were the Cowboy Up, Proud and yeah.... fuck... Alsoa.... I hadn't heard one since... maybe October '03 (Montreal? and the Narrows acoustic set?!).

Anyway, good song selection and great energy tonight. Decent crowd too. Thanks guys!
appleofmyeye
Alsoa

NICE!funkin' awesome ;}
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

Thanks for the reviews guys.

"Excited", "happy", "overwhelmingly huge", "another plane", "cowboy up grinding", "and then alsoa...."

wow

...and the stay-at-home Slip fan asks:

"Any tapers?"
chloe
Lion on a Rock

yeah, i asked myself the same question...
looked to kt... asked her that question...
we looked around for the tell tale signs and came up with nothing....

so i would love the be proven wrong, but it looks like for now we're back to the days of reality where what you heard last night is in your head the next morning and not downloadable to your computer the next day. weird man, weird...
:wink:
chloe
Lion on a Rock

my computer hiccuped and the above got double posted.... so... nothing to do but edit the second post to say sorry....

sorry....

and it just occured to me that there's a whole new years run on the other side of the rest of the holidays (happy (c)hannukah everyone who'se celebrating at sundown tonight)....
tyler
From the Gecko

oh and in lieu of the typical rockstar gesture of climbing the stacks during Children of December, Brad put down the Gibson he was playing with, picked up a Danelectro, and started swatting at these little tiny disco balls hanging from the ceiling. it was an insignificant detail but hey it was cool.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I've thought the climbing the stacks thing has gotten kind of tired. When he tried to do it at the Independent in November and the plug of his guitar came out before he could do it it seemed a bit like hubris biting him in the butt. OTOH It was pretty cool when he was standing up on Marc's stacks at High Sierra.
appleofmyeye
Alsoa

Yeah, Brad should be more careful. Wouldn't that be cool if they hung a rope from the rafters at shows just so he could swing like tarzan...lol

ya gotta love it though.