WXPN Noon Concert - AAARGH!!!

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

WXPN Noon Concert - AAARGH!!!

If One of us Should Fall
Airplane/Primitive
Even Rats
On-stage Interview
Children of December
Sleepyhead
Original Blue Air
Paperb....

Found out about this being streamed via an email announcement from management moments before it happened.

Production was a little rough throughout with overall levels jumping around and individual parts undergoing gross adjustments in midstream. Overall, it felt like the gigantic Slip sound we know and love was being squeezed into a tiny little box.

Gotta admit, Brad's voice sounds kinda shot. That throat could do with some pampering. Overall, they sounded tired but game. Everything was well-played as usual.

The interview was your typical radio lameness. Not through anyone's fault. What are ya gonna ask or say, really? Marc was funny talking about the great catering at the gig with Natalie Merchant.

Sleepyhead was the highlight for me with Marc supplying some great tuba-like sounds. At the end of the tune he acknowledged the crowd's reaction with a couple of cheerful toots.

It felt to me like they really woke up with Sleepyhead and were ready to tear into the set-closer - Original Blue Air. This is where the power started to shine through.

And then, just as Brad starts the vocals to Paperbirds.....

silence.

THEY LOST THE FEED!!!!!!

SLIPUS INTERRUPTUS!!!!!!

That really hurt.

hoby
chloe
Lion on a Rock

consolation

just think... we may not have heard it, but somewhere today an epic paper birds got played.

yeah, instead of throwing my computer across the room or falling on my knees and screaming to the heavens in protest i tried laughing... it helped... i reccomend it in the face of most of what you can not change.

as for the interview, i think that for the format and time allowed it wasn't half bad. she covered their accolades pretty well, gave anyone not having heard of these guys a pretty good reason to listen to more, i'm sure that with natalie merchant and jim james and matthew ellard as references they're going to finally appeal to a huge base to give a first listen. and we all know what happens after that.... come to think of it, has the slip ever considered putting a warning on ther music - caution... may change life in wonderful and unexpected ways. which is really all one can wish on the world when it's all said and done... oh yeah... the interview... and she actually truly sounded like she took the time to talk to them, which is cool cause it is so much easier to piece a piece together from press packs and existant interviews.

i agree with some of the production aspects, but then i considered i was sitting on my bed with my headphones on eating waffles with maple syrup and drinking fresh brewed coffee and listening to the slip play in philidelphia and i stoped caring about most of the technical aspects (after i cleaned up the waffles i snarfed when i realized all of the above was indeed reality and started once again laughing... yes, i am as amusing alone as in public...)

anyhow... it was a nice start to the day and sleepyhead was gorgeous, as was the rest of paper birds i'm assuming, and if one of us...airplane actually brought me to a nice zenned out place full of waffles and harmonicas and such. and maybe i don't say it enough but i'm always surprised with the way even rats and cod. always sound new somehow when i hear them live...

have a great weekend everyone
chloe
hoby

Re: consolation

chloe wrote:yeah, instead of throwing my computer across the room or falling on my knees and screaming to the heavens in protest i tried laughing... it helped... i reccomend it in the face of most of what you can not change.
I ate lunch, which for me works like laughing. :lol:
as for the interview, i think that for the format and time allowed it wasn't half bad. she covered their accolades pretty well, gave anyone not having heard of these guys a pretty good reason to listen to more, i'm sure that with natalie merchant and jim james and matthew ellard as references they're going to finally appeal to a huge base to give a first listen. and we all know what happens after that.... and she actually truly sounded like she took the time to talk to them, which is cool cause it is so much easier to piece a piece together from press packs and existant interviews.

You're right and I guess if I had taken the time to think about what I was writing I wouldn't have come off as so negative, because it really did serve them well in terms of giving people ways to relate to them - reference points, etc.
i agree with some of the production aspects, but then i considered i was sitting on my bed with my headphones on eating waffles with maple syrup and drinking fresh brewed coffee and listening to the slip play in philidelphia and i stoped caring about most of the technical aspects
Right again. I was actually so focused on the radio aspects (since that's where I spent so much of my professional life) that I kind of forgot/took for granted that I was in fact listening to the radio on my computer. It is an amazing time to be alive and technological.
anyhow... it was a nice start to the day and sleepyhead was gorgeous,
That really was great.
as was the rest of paper birds i'm assuming, and if one of us...airplane actually brought me to a nice zenned out place full of waffles and harmonicas and such.
Please refrain from playing the harmonica while eating waffles. It voids the warranty on each. :P
and maybe i don't say it enough but i'm always surprised with the way even rats and cod. always sound new somehow when i hear them live...
Yes. I remember thinking that CoD must sound really fresh to the uninitiated.

Thanks for steering me positive, Chloe.

hoby
putty
From the Gecko

you can listen to the entire paper birds now, and it's awlsum!
chloe
Lion on a Rock

oooooooo......0000000000......ooooooo....

ooo... ooo... where?

dude, there is so much slip manifesting in the world right now... a bit surreal as until now it was me telling people about this band instead of the media telling me about it.... not that i'm complaining, but as i was walking home from getting groceries two nights ago i actually stepped on a piece of newspaper that had blown from somewhere and happened to be that big huge color picture of the boys in the globe last friday... sorry brad, sorry andrew, i have little feet and marc was spared, but you guys got a footfull for sure...

anyways... i'm hearing a helluva lot more new music this way... and i've been saying for years that if a group of folks deserve anything it's these folks and it's just this... and i don't mean that in a media attention sort of way, though that's ?fun?, but it's just that the media is going to bring the llisteners, and what these guys deserve is to be heard and to be putting forth what they want folks to hear... now that "folks" is kinda sorta encompasing like, everyone... well, eisenhower is beautiful, and the shows always have been and always will be...

so, where's that paper birds at?
putty
From the Gecko

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=6555209

here you are miss chloe. enjoy. i need to listen to it again. i didn't give it my full attention the first time.

can't wait till the spring. spring = putty's 2.5-year live slip hiatus ending
hoby

Wow! They replaced what was up there before with the entire program. Before the stream started with the host's onstage intro. Now it starts with the Elvis C. theme music and there's the Paperbirds at the end in all its glory.

I'm listening to it as I type.

What a cool world.

hoby
chloe
Lion on a Rock

What a cool world.
no kidding right....
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Last edited by Cleantone on Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoby

Thanks Cleantone!!
Phrazz

Re: oooooooo......0000000000......ooooooo....

chloe wrote:ooo... ooo... where?
sorry brad, sorry andrew, i have little feet and marc was spared, but you guys got a footfull for sure...
Omigod, you stepped on BAM??? :) [spoken in the tone of "omigod, you killed KENNY!] That's hilarious!

But it's all part of the big wave of fame -- the sands of time are washed by these waves. The ripple effect is significant, but few can realize it. With the changes in the seasons also come changes from within and without. People are realizing many things all at the same time, and these entities are connected in ways we might have to scrutinize to discover. A crack in the sundial (if you will pardon my digression).

NPR is a pretty "together" organization. I met one of their photographers at a show recently and he had his photos posted before I made it home! Now this guy was on bicycle and had all his Canon gear on his back, complete with laptop where he got wireless connection at the club...you'd never think that guy on bicycle was an NPR photojournalist. They would kick themselves to release a flawed show, and I'm glad to see they fixed it. Very few orgs are that proactive--but they have to be!

So add NPR to the Times, Globe, Voice, and of course Rolling Stone. I'd like to see Billboard take them on, but maybe when the charts happen. That could still be some time, but the popular momentum is building.

-Phrazz