Knitting Factory + Independent

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

lumpy
From the Gecko

Knitting Factory + Independent

The Independent feels like comfort food to me. A very straightforward venue: a 500 person basic rectangle with a bar in back, easy-going (and helpful) security, dim lights and a good sound system.

As some friends and I had dinner we talked about how great it would be if the slip were playing at the Great American that night, a beautiful ballroom overflowing with history down near the tenderloin, only because that venue is just so cool to hang out in.

When it gets down to it though, The Independent feels like grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup on a chilly day, and who can argue with that?

When The Slip took the stage to the quickly filling room, Brad seemed real confident and excited as the three of them built up the sonic floor of First Panda in Space/Soft Machine. I love the layers that these guys manipulate, and for this night anyways, I had to guess where many of the sounds were coming from being unable to see Andrews drumpad or Marc's feet.

I went into this little slip run assuming that I'd be hearing many of the same songs each night, but was (as always) surprised by The Slip's ability to surprise me. I always think that I know their songs; I've gone to so many shows, downloaded more, and listened to these guys for so long, but every time I think I know them, there's a new song, or a tease I don't recognize (Pat Benatar), or a happily-bouncing Even Rats extended ending that I just didn't see coming.

I love that they haven't lost their willingness to take risks, and their ability to stay inspired with their music. My girlfriend and I were surprised that we hadn't grown tired of Children of December or Even Rats yet, after seeing it performed so many times over the last few years, and then thought of the sheer craziness of playing it as many times as BAM has and still being able to be into it, pushing forward with it, and not simply strolling through it.

And then there's the Fuji, which really felt like a monster to me. It's clear that bam is still willing to stretch things out and make some weird noises, have things appear to fall into the ether only to re-emerge as a groove folding into the end of Fuji. Their music remains challenging, and highly rewarding for the active listener; we were excited to be traveling the next day for a quick visit with some close friends and a second night with some dudes who don't know us ;)

We flew in real early in the morning, and got to spend the day catching up with our friends, visiting the Getty, eating some good food, and generally just enjoying the beautiful day. I grew up seeing concerts in San Diego and LA, but hadn't seen The Slip there; once inside the venue everything was positive, but Hollywood makes my brain confused, and the Knitting Factory's request for a hundred bucks to bring in a DAT machine was pretty f-ing lame.

The LA Knitting Factory and the NYC Tap Room/Main Room/Studio room Knitting digs are different in all regards except beer prices: 6 bucks a bottle of beer (yowzers! :shock: ) We got a great balcony spot on andrew's side and moved the tables out from the rail giving us plenty of space and some unbelievable sightlines. I should have brought my camera with me, but no such luck.

I don't understand how drummers can train their bodies to hold a different rhythm with different parts of their bodies concurrently, but I accept that it happens. Marc on the other hand, shouldn't he be past the ability to teach himself new tricks? Being able to see his feet really shed some light on just how many sounds he adds to so many songs. I first remember seeing his foot-keyboard-synth thing back at the mercury lounge in 04 for Moderate Threat (Good call on bringing that back in rotation!), and now it's most noticeably the primary instrument at the beginning of The Original Blue Air, but he is triggering samples all the time and adding many layers to Eisenhower that I wasn't really even aware of.

And their light show man! What a trip; They're touring with these things called LED Bricks, which according to the guy who was helping out with lights (I think part of the lovely feathers crew?), are a pretty new technology. They really pack quite a punch, particularly for something that looks like a lite-brite. For real, like they've got 12 lite-brites at their feet. But they change color and instensity, and pulsate, and chase, and they really light up the stage in a cool way.

Rhythmicstorm's photo (thanks!):

I think I've let enough thoughts pour out of my ears tonight...I'd been meaning to share some thoughts, but I guess I had to wait until my head was ready to burst. :)
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

thanks dude. im eager for the shows next week, and i had no idea about the lights. sounds cool.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
soraparuq
Mudslide

High California Times

Hi y'all,
I've been reading the wonderful slipbase on & off since april, but this is my 1st post…taking the plunge, so thanks for havin me.
go Phrazz, cleantone, Dan, samNo.2, all y'all, for everything u do in/for the slip community of fans&friends. your bday show, Sam, was a pleasure to listen to---thanks so much for sharing that recording u guys—what a special late-night!

So, I've also been remiss in sharing the loveliness of the Cali shows. i love the Indy & met some very cool folks at TKF, and took a newbie friend to her 1st show (who went to college in Boston) who loved BAM…naturalllllly. sorry i missed u lumpy.

even driving 6 hrs on the spur of the moment down to lalaland from SF was well-worth it. esp. after that exquisite slide---Cowboy Up, indeed! & ya always gotta love B-rad's monitor climbing & broken strings--signs of a true Rock** gig---cuz, hey, it was the Hollyweird strip, so why the F not? 8)
it was kinda funny when I thought back on it that he fell/lay down to play towards the end, in contrast, in SF.
overall, I felt like Hollywould just became a slightly bigger rager. maybe b/c they knew it was going to be a condensed gig? it struck me that Marc stepped out a bit more too. as u say, lumpy, his electronic layering and the textures he adds are subtle & amazing.

too bad they wanted $$ there to dat tape b/c I really liked that show.
i liked the opener better for the choice of another slow, ballad opener…interesting they opened both shows w/ quiet songs, too.

also, too bad the Indy wanted $250/camera to shoot video, or we would've shot it. hopefully, some of the first shows' tour video will make it out there somehow---I think each of the PacNW shows were videorec. at least for archive.
it was really cool to see the Rolling Stone/Levi's video----awesome. sooo glad they did that.
speaking of video, here's a link to some leisure SMMD HSMF vid for your viewing indulgence…not the best, but I was just having fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOTE6NQGu5s
(BONUS: there's even a lil' i-view of main man Phrazz up there!)

well, I wish I could be back in my homestate of Wisco RIGHT NOW (oddly, I was just at the Montmarte a month ago today hearing a Radiohead cover band called Fake Plastic Trees who happened to be playing!) it's a sweet lil' Mad-town spot on the square, but BAM's gonna be cramming onto another super small stage. i guess they're used to it though.

likewise, wish I could be ubiquitous this newyear's &/or have enough dough to fly out to NYC for the 31st at least, but no such luck.
I'll be stayin put & close to home instead.
lucky enough to hear Steve Kimock, my other favorite guitarist, at the ol local Mission Galaxies Banyan block party 12/28-29 down the street…finally confirmed! & for that I'm thankful.
but a Slip substitute?….Never! :wink:

Dana

ps----btw, didn't BAM play CO last wk?---wonder where those reports have disappeared to...hmmmm....
Last edited by soraparuq on Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
All the years combine they melt into a dream
A broken angel sings from a guitar...
And when you hear that song come crying like the wind
it seems like all this life was just a dream
Stella Blue ----Robert Hunter said
bear
From the Gecko

the independent

I actually like the venue. the sound is great and the lights are awesome. never been to the great american but obviously its a much more storied venue. since the boys sold out the indy, maybe we'll be seeing them headlining the fillmore sooner than later!
Phrazz

The Indie

Hey Yo,

I love the name of this venue, and from the reviews, I have to check it out. Plus the Illustrious TL is in da house, so I'm sure it's got the killer sound (whereas before may have only had the dangerous sound).

That video that Dana took back or side stage at High Sierra I have to slightly disavow. I heard a question about slide guitar and *what*??? was too confused to answer coherently. Something about Kimock...yeah, he's nearly as good as Brad. 8)

What's with all the west coast clubs charging for taping? They trying to cover their expenses or their liability? I certainly hope the bands get a cut of that. I'd double the fee if I knew the bands got half.

I'm sort of confused by the photo a bit...that's the Knit in LA, not the Indie, right? Or did they also teleport the backdrop somehow with Photoshop? Either way, these LED thingys are here to stay. Something about infinite life and minimal maintenance. Will be some time 'til they're in the trackers, but already they're in flash units.

Does Brad look sorta intense in that shot by Sara? I think his arms got bigger, too. He must be working out.

P.S.: Soraparu gets the cool Avatar of the week award. :)
soraparuq
Mudslide

mondo famoso

the hollaback....
indeed, Sara's intense shot there is from The Knitting Factory.
i love that shirt, btw.
almost as good as the ol' beehive Dolly one!
& speaking of t-shirts....marc's shirt was cool that night too. i think he said it was Heavy Rotation, which i just discovered is a Wisco company--a stone's throw from Shank Hall! http://www.heavytees.com/store/
lil' did he probably know he could've got an easy upgrade yesterday.
fine threads were just flyin around that night. :D

but, TKF could stand to invest a lil' in their outfit....they've evidently not bothered to update that room since they opened since i started going there in 2001 & not a BIT had changed 5 yrs later...can they say REN-O-VATION?
oh, and i, too, could've done WITHOUT the Lovely Feathers, despite that "the valley" song is... catchy.

Dana

ps--u probably already know this Phrazz, but i meant to credit Alex Grey for that avatar painting which is called The Artist's Hand (1997),on wood...see alexgrey.com. It is also the cover of his 2001 book, The Mission of Art. in fact, that is not the entire image, but i couldn't figure out how to reduce it all intact. must do & add the credit. ???
if you haven't yet been to his Chapel of Sacred Mirrors in Chelsea, CHECK IT OUT... http://www.cosm.org/
indubitably, next on my NYC agenda. i thought this used to be on St. Mark's---did anyone go to it?
actually, he & his wife are both live painting there THIS Saturday night 11/25...for an "ENTHEOCENTRIC SALON" w/ what seems like some v.interesting music. whoa...Wooly, fo sur. 8)
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

Re: Knitting Factory + Independent

lumpy wrote:And their light show man!
Light show?!?!

Mmmmmmmm....light show.

I've never seen the Slip with a real light show of any kind. I guess I never get to the right venues.

Part of me would love to see/hear the synergy. The other part is leery of anything that might distract me from the music.

hoby
lumpy
From the Gecko

It's not a distracting light show by any stretch, but it is pretty sweet. Nothing big or fancy, but with a person who knows their music at the controls it definitely adds a nice touch to the show.
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

lumpy wrote:It's not a distracting light show by any stretch, but it is pretty sweet. Nothing big or fancy, but with a person who knows their music at the controls it definitely adds a nice touch to the show.
Cool. It's not that I'm worried they would choose to do something distracting or inappropriate. It's more a concern about how easily I'm distracted. :lol:

h
appleofmyeye
Alsoa

I was in Hollyweird...Hollywood, Hollywould?*squint* and there was never an actual lightshow...was there? And don't lie please. You know what I mean jellybeans?
lumpy
From the Gecko

It wasn't an arena rock concert, but there was most certainly someone at the light board controlling these LED Bricks for The Slip, and they knew their songs taboot :)

I think I saw you grooving down in front of Andrew RL - frontish row, long brown pony tail?
appleofmyeye
Alsoa

Yes, that was me...but I was actually standing in between Marc and Androo. Yup, yup.