Broken Social Scene

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

Broken Social Scene

I just read that BSS will be playing with Do Make Say Think at Brandeis universtiy, in Waltham MA on nov. 16 -- where i happen to have just moved to. I was wondering if anyone knew about if you ahve to be a student or whatever to get into the show. if anyone out there has any info id be glad to hear it! they are really on the strangest bill of bands for a 2 day concert... i think the article said dropkick murphys as well? wtf?
-john
John from CT / wheaton college, MA
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

i wassssssss going to go to lupos for my birthday... who knows...

now i could do this =dan
headnugg
Invocation

Man, I just came across this thread. My company booked that show. I was there. Those guys just don't do it for me. They come across, IMHO, as a group of arty, hipper than thou, pretentious motherfuckers whose music, frankly, really isn't that special at all.

I don't get the allure of these guys.

I went back to Brandeis the night after though and saw a band called Bedouin Soundclash who you'll all start to hear about soon.......

And Flogging Molly is fun go see them, especially if you're drunk or Irish or both.

I've been listening to Catpower - The Greatest recently, and I really love the title track.
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
tyler
From the Gecko

Broken Social Scene is damn good, Do Make Say Think is the most underrated band of the 00s, except for maybe The Slip. Charles Spearin, who plays bass for both of these bands, is one of the better bassists I've ever heard, he's incredibly innovative, albeit very subtle. anyway I desperately wanted to go to a show on this tour but they're not coming anywhere near Burlington and i don't have a car nor anyone who does to roadtrip with.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

is there anyway for I to go on november 16th? instead of lupos
headnugg
Invocation

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't see the original post said NOV. 16th, it was actually last week, OCT 16th.

Dan, I would've been happy to get you into that show, if we have any more "indie" shows coming up I'll let you know......

To each his own obviously, but I really don't get BSS. The shit was BORING.
tyler
From the Gecko

the reason i like BSS is because their studio albums are so dense, there's so much going on it's incredible. You Forgot It In People is one of my favorite albums ever. never seen them live, although i had heard nothing but great things before this.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

nugg, im on the fence with them. but, i am looking forward to the shows coming up around here. i really liked the first two albums, and the latest is still growing on me. we'll see...

i did like do make say think when i saw them a couple of years ago. i had no idea what kind of music it was, and the show was really cool. its too early in the morning to think of any appropriate adjectives. :)
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
headnugg
Invocation

My only BSS experiences are as follow:

I listened to the album with the painted drawings of buildings on the cover(I think), it was a nicely done CD package that unfolds rather than opens, it's made of cardboard, hold on lemme go to Amazon......OK, apparently it's their most recent one and it's self titled. Anyway, I thought it sucked. Granted I only listened thru 1 time, maybe two, but it didn't do it for me.

Then, as discussed above, I recently saw their tour opener at Brandeis in Waltham, MA. Thought it was pretentious crap. Boring, not too catchy, etc. There were however at least a couple songs that caught my ear, but just not enough to make me care.

putty
From the Gecko

sounds like headnugg doesn't like Broken Social Scene.

i love the self titled album. they definitely take more than one listen to get into though, as most interesting music does.
headnugg
Invocation

putty wrote:sounds like headnugg doesn't like Broken Social Scene.
We got a real detective here......
Phrazz

onomatopoeia

headnugg wrote:
putty wrote:sounds like headnugg doesn't like Broken Social Scene.
We got a real detective here......
That could be sarcastic understatement, but I can just feel the love!!!

8)