The Slip in Buffalo - 03.06.06

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

sm
Beantown Rocker

The Slip in Buffalo - 03.06.06

The Slip
The Icon - Buffalo, NY

Sleepyhead
Wine and White Soda
Even Rats
I Hate Love*
Get Me With Fuji
As Long As There's One Of Us Standing
new marc tune (mostly instrumental)
Cowboy Up*
December's Children

encore:
Before You Were Born
Take A Beetle To The Badlands

* w/ a guy on keys from Sam Champion - forget his name

the new marc tune is 'mostly' instrumental in the same way Proud is - with Brad bringing in some big vocals at the end of the tune.. but it winds its way through a few changes and keeps picking up steam as it goes... it was like a weird train, that doesnt necessarily chug along, but more or less kinda clamours and fights its way through.. i really liked it.

certainly a good show, lotsa room for good improv (I Hate Love, Fuji, Cowboy Up), and very well executed rock n roll - even rats, december's children, sleepyhead, one of us standing - wine and white soda has become a monster of a song, that might have been my favourite of the night - and throw in a couple older crowd pleasers for the encore, and you got yourself a solid night out in buffalo on a monday. show was over before midnight.

kind of a strange venue... i guess it was like a garage turned into a rock bar - kinda cold and cavernous... maybe 50 people at the show, really light on the attendace, which played to a weak kind of energy in the room.. i thought the band did well to overcome that, but there still seemed to be a bit of apprehension in the crowd. oh well.

im glad i went. i got a couple shows on this tour, both were great, and my soul has been rocked to satisfaction until i can get my next slip fix.

ps: no tapers in sight.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

suck it up and come to pittsburgh tonight.. pussy! :lol:
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
sm
Beantown Rocker

lol

your swagger is oh so tempting, mr. stehley.... but i just dropped off the rental. :(

have a blast tonite, though - they're playin' real well right now... brad's voice is sounding great, and marc is like a man possessed!
etahn
From the Gecko

Re: The Slip in Buffalo - 03.06.06

sm wrote:the new marc tune is 'mostly' instrumental in the same way Proud is - with Brad bringing in some big vocals at the end of the tune.. but it winds its way through a few changes and keeps picking up steam as it goes... it was like a weird train, that doesnt necessarily chug along, but more or less kinda clamours and fights its way through.. i really liked it.
I though they had named that one "Some Kind of Girl".

Great fucking tune, BTW.
The world really is magic
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I though they had named that one "Some Kind of Girl".
As recent as Burlington the song had no name, or at least Marc said he hadn't named it. Some Kind of girl is a little obvious. Hoby was calling something Airplane/Primitive. The description is just like the new Marc song. Just don't know where the name came from. Maybe they came up with a title that day. In the past I would have listed the song as "Some Kind of Girl" for a reference. I figured I'd wait until Marc named this one though. So I don't know what the deal is yet.
sm
Beantown Rocker

they didnt have a name for it in buffalo - only "this is a new song that marc wrote". though, there was one heckler in the crowd that was adamant it should be called "marc's tie".
etahn
From the Gecko

fuckers. why can't they just name a tune and leave it.

Some kind of girl is obvious. But then, so is Wine and White Soda.

fuckers.
The world really is magic
chloe
Lion on a Rock

?

ok so... maybe i'm not as in the loop anymore as i used to be... maybe i missed all of the new born versions of said name contested song... i remember hearing something that might have been this song being born around the turn of the year, and there were vocals, but they were indistinguishable as words and i haven't poured over recordings from that era trying to find them so... please, correct me if i'm wrong, but i've never heard the lyrics "some kind of girl" in the song which now may be "airplane/primitive(s)". i've heard "...some other world..." as lyrics, among other things (which incidently is what i think it should be called). if someone could just double check my reality that would be great. i know what the "new" lyrics sound like to me, they just don't seem to interface with the discussions about the song that i've read. or maybe there are two songs in the first place and i'm rambling.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I'm not 100% off the top of my head but I think Lupo's 12/28 was the debut of the "some kind of girl" tune. Without making a big effort those are the only words I can make out. In fact that night the tune was so new, instrumental for 90% of it, the vocal mic was muted when Brad first started the lyrics.
chloe
Lion on a Rock

you know you're sure...

yeah... i remember going outside for some much needed nicotine, coming back in and having one of those, oh, ok, so, i missed the new song didn't i moments. and then, once again, not 100% sure but off the top of my head, i think i walked in freezing cold and late (f#c*^n&) precipitation during that in noho on nye (?) maybe. there's this one point where the song just kind of, well, drops, like one of those carnival rides that straps everyone in on a big swing but it's hinged so you go up and down and around but stay parallel to the ground the whole time. it reminded me of some melencholy processional march made peppy by, perhaps sheer force of intention. anyways, my stomach dropped like it does in that ride the first time i heard it and it has each successive meeting with whatever this song will be named. (and to clarify, cause i'm not really one to say that my "stomach drops" when i listen to these guys, it's in a kind of fun over the hill of a rollercoaster when you're 12 and it's summer kinda way, not as in a where's the nearest ladies room way.)
anyways, i had something constructive to say, but then it came out in metaphor and analogy, or maybe just analogy...
oh yes, 2.15.6 is pretty sick when it comes to this fine specimen of music.

peace,
i have to go learn how to teach
chloe
chloe
Lion on a Rock

oops... i forgot something...

oh yes, and etahn, mentioning w&ws (oh god i'm abreviating in noncaps and is that an.... ampersand i think its called, o jebus...) there were new lyrics cut and pasted into the second verse in burlington a bit back. i was too drunk to tell you all anything about them, but they were there. i think... hey did you guys know they sell ben and jerry's at the bar at higher ground, hell yea... i found a new shade of happiness thanks to that ice cream that night... anyways, i'm recalling drunk recollections of lyrics about drinking, but hey, who knows...