Setlist 11-11-2005 Somerville Theater

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

Setlist 11-11-2005 Somerville Theater

Set One:
all I saw was you
paper birds
i hate love
wine and white soda
reddish moon
Even Rats
From The Gecko
Suffocation Keep
Miss Prism
Intro>Cumulus
"Man On Fire" New acoustic song
Moderate Threat>
Cowboy Up>
Soft Machine

encore:
Modern Love,
As Long as One of Us Is Standing

notes: Some girls got up onstage and were dancing, forget when. Man on fire is a new song i believe and thats just a bit of the lyrics I caught.
RL

thanks Dan!
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

were you able to tape the whole show??
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Nathan has settled one "One of Us Standing" for what thats worth.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

kind of the polar opposite pat.

I delayed turning my computer from hibernation mode until the first song, So i turned it on, but when i clicked record nothing came up. So I had to delte that track, then found out that my interface was no longer the default recording device, so i quickly went up and changed it, so about 45 to 1min of the first song is gone, Im spliting the tracks up now, sounds pretty good, but i got it all on one computer.

last time i tested how long the batterylasts, i had my screen up, and that chews out the battery, so i had the screen down, and by the end of the show, i had 2 hours left on it.

no figure.

Ill get it up to bt.etree soon.

Dan

Whats bt.etrees standard for naming songs? eh ill just look at the ones i downloaded
thanks
Dan
FromTheGrieco
Mudslide

Warning: negative review ahead

I caught my first Slip show in about a year and I was bored to tears. To say I was dissapointed would be an understatement. I've seen these guys since 97 and I can't get into this new direction. I'm really confused as to why the guys are chosing this path into such straight ahead rock n roll after years of bending the boundaries of spacy/jazz improv. What happened to the this band? What happened to the fanbase too? This was a local show and the turnover of familar faces was quite shocking. With the exception of the 20 or so high school kids in the front, the entire crowd was dead. Some of these kids stood emotionless during the two highlights of the show: Gekko & Cumulus. Do the guys realize they are turning off longtime fans? I know someone else who posts here who agrees with everything I am saying. I'm waiting for him to follow up on this thread.

I think I am done with the band. I am sorry if some of you don't like what I have to say. I guess the band couldn't do the whole 'hippie jazz' thing forever and change was inevitable but outside of Even Rats and the Soft Machine, I can't stand any of these new songs. If they mixed in these tunes evenly with the older songs I would continue to see shows but it just looks like every setlist is a showcase of stuff debuted since 03. It's almost a if they are a new band that hasn't changed their name.

:(

or

from above:
"I'm really confused as to why the guys are chosing this path into such straight ahead rock n roll after years of bending the boundaries of spacy/jazz improv."

or the flip side circa mid/late 90s could be:
i am confused why the guys who wrote such gems as honey melon, eube and alsoa would chose this path of playing this spacey/jazz improv stuff

chew on that.

the slip is who they are, they play what they like playing/want to play/like hearing at the time

enough said

baj
Headnugg (not logged in)

I completely agree with From The Grieco. Last night was by far the worst slip show I have ever seen. Even Cumulus was too rocked out for me to enjoy it. And don't get me wrong, I like rock. But if I'm going to pay to go see a rock show, or indie, or garage or whatever the fuck you want to call it, I'm going to go see the Kings of Leon, or MMJ or Wilco. Last nites show sucked. Plain and simple. It was boring. I know we've had these discussions on the old board, regarding the "Old Slip" vs. the "new Slip" and everyone got bored and frustrated with these fights. But the Slip aren't evolving anymore, they are a completely different band now. All the songs they played were straight ahead rock, almost all had words and were sung. The guys are posing like rock stars on stage. When I used to see the Slip I used to leave saying "man, I fucking love these guys." I couldn't get enough. I first noticed that I was becoming bored during some songs at Lupo's on 12/30/03, noticed it again at Axis in '04 and particularly at Clark U. '04 too, though the encore was kick ass. Now, there isn't even a mix of songs I like thrown in with shit I just don't like at all. This new stuff all sounds the same and frankly, BAM is wasting their talents completely with this crap. We all know their great musician's, so why are they wasting their time with "kiddie crap," as someone on the old board referred to it as. If this is where the band has evolved too, count me out. If they're happy playing at prep schools and high schools and having a bunch of 17 year olds as fans, good for them. But I'm done.

When the best music of the night was the Coltrane(?) being played over the PA before the show, you know we've got a big problem. I will not be paying to see the Slip anytime in the near future if ever again.

And to "Baj" who said this: "the slip is who they are, they play what they like playing/want to play/like hearing at the time

enough said"

No shit buddy. Can you state the obvious some more please? You mean the Slip actually goes out and plays what they want? Wow, I hadn't realized. That's not "enough said", Captain Obvious. We're having an intelligent discussion here about how much the Slip suck now. Of course we all know the Slip is who they are and play what the feel like playing. We're trying to disect the suckiness of it all, and argue amongst ourselves about why it sucks, Old vs. New, and exactly how much last nights show did suck.

And you know what, I do want to hear the Slip come out and just play their old jazz shit night after night, because even if they were to play the same setlist it would never sound the same, because of a little thing called improvisation. At their peak they could play any jazzy tune off From the Gecko or Does and make it always sound unique and different each time. I don't want to see them evolve into just some band that sounds like everyone else, even if it is what they want to do.

I would be curious to hear what other long time fans thought of last nights show, like Cleantone for example.......
tyler

i thought it was awesome, and that they tore the roof off of the place. i enjoyed it.

am i wrong?
FromTheGrieco
Mudslide

tyler wrote:i thought it was awesome, and that they tore the roof off of the place. i enjoyed it.

am i wrong?
Depends, when was your first Slip show?
headnugg
Invocation

Yes Tyler, you are wrong. :D
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
francis
From the Gecko

does every band have to have that "elite" following where these people beg for the said band to play only the style they started off playing and only for them? "dude, you hear them in '00? pfff, i saw them in '99.. obviously this means you have no right to say if they're good or not. now they have people listening to them? i don't like this. this band was sooo good, and i really liked them, i wish they wouldn't keep getting fans! why did i ever get my little sister into them...."
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
headnugg
Invocation

I don't think that's what anyone is saying, at least not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that the music they are playing now sucks. Period. They're old shit is way better, there's really no comparison. It's not about, "i saw the slip before you, so I know more about them than you," or whatever. It's about their music sucking and last nights show being god awful and easily the worst slip I have ever seen in my life. And I should know, I saw them before you.
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
casey
Alsoa

tim
The Weight of Solomon

can we all just agree that more high school girls at shows are a good thing?!?