pearl street

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

I would love to hear Brad play either of those songs. I think he'd be a natural for 'Crazy Fingers' a-la 1976 style as well.
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

Brad Barr (The Slip):
"New Speedway Boogie," cause it's a badass song; or "Stella Blue," because it makes my throat tingle.

i like that answer a lot.
Me too. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna add those to my "if the Slip ever play at my birthday party, here's the cover I might ask for" list.

But the undisputed #1 entry at the top of that list would have to be "Unbroken Chain."

Not long after I discovered the Slip I was listening to Unbroken Chain and it felt so much like BAM, and not just because they would so obviously KILL the middle passage. The whole tone and feeling of the song from beginning to end, musically and lyrically, just feels like the Slip to me.

But to return to Brad's choices for just a moment: Not only are those great tunes in and of themselves, but they're smart choices as covers because they're not as idiosyncratically Dead as others. You can be onstage playing New Speedway Boogie without having Jerry's ghost hanging over you. At least not to the same extent as with "Dark Star", "Scarlet Begonias", or "Bird Song."

Now Stella Blue is a different story. That's one of the most Jerry of Jerry Tunes, no doubt about it. But it's also already been established as THE Jerry tribute tune (see Kimock's instrumental version, etc). So you can play that tune and be playing/singing about Jerry instead of trying to BE Jerry.

If you know what I mean.

hoby
Colin

>>>>>NOTICE<<<<

THE SHOW HAS BEEN MOVED FROM 12/28 TO 12/30

TAKE NOTE!
Katie
Invocation

Re: >>>>>NOTICE<<<<

Colin wrote:THE SHOW HAS BEEN MOVED FROM 12/28 TO 12/30

TAKE NOTE!
Noooooo! :(

Damn. That was the one show of the New Year's run that I was hoping to make it to.
Colin

why cant you make it, working or sumthin?
Katie
Invocation

Colin wrote:why cant you make it, working or sumthin?
My fiancé's band has a New Year's run too and I definately have to be back up in Burlington on the 31st for Higher Ground or I think my friends would all disown me. :lol: I might still be able to pull it off, but the 28th would've been a lot easier since I'll be in MA during the week anyway.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

28th katie catch apollo sunshine in andover ;-)