10.08.2005 - Southpaw

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Your chances of hearing that now are probably as good as they ever were.
Good thing I was at both of those... :wink:
sm
Beantown Rocker

i dont get to see them enough to really care how often they change up the set - im not on tour seeing all these shows in a row... typically we only get a 2 or 3 day run up here, anyhow, so you take what you can get. that said, i think there's a fair bit of songs in their back catalogue that actually fit real nice with this "new sound/direction" and a lot of the new tunes.. i hope they dont get lost in the shuffle.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

sm wrote:... that said, i think there's a fair bit of songs in their back catalogue that actually fit real nice with this "new sound/direction" and a lot of the new tunes.. i hope they dont get lost in the shuffle.
thats my point exactly. im happy to see these guys when i can, where i can. i just dont understand why they cant pop in 2 or 3 tunes that they havent played in a while that would fit their new direction or style. i think that would keep everybody happy.

hey, its their band, their life. i have my own things going on, and im sure people dont understand the way i do things sometimes. free will, its a bitch.

:|
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
lumpy
From the Gecko

The amount of times I've had this discussion with friends, or seen/participated in it online really affirms the idea that this is a band that we really don't get sick of, but rather one that we wish could occupy more of our time.

At this point, I don't hear much in the way of being offended that the setlist is repeated - but rather just disappointment that one's own experience from one show to the next couldn't be more full of surprises. While I am in that same boat of desiring slight (or large) variation from one show to the next I still enjoy attending a run of Slip shows with almost identical setlists. I'm not obsessed with the band members or anything (just their music :wink: ) but really love being able to watch them in their artistic expression. They are very honest and real musicians, and that comes across much more clearly to me when I have the chance to watch them interact on stage.

What's funny to me is the variations on this topic that I've heard. The first comment is almost always "Why are they playing _______ every night!?" and in the time I have been seeing them, the blank has been filled in with Moral Decay, Johnny's Tune, Dogs on Bikes, Spice Groove, STTN, December's Children, and many more that aren't coming to mind. The point? Soon enough we'll all be shouting for the out-of-rotation I Hate Love. :lol: