4/15/06 @narrows

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

jpkuckens
Yaki Soba

4/15/06 @narrows

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
This show was an absolute gem right from the start, what with andrews WWII aviator goggles and all...

the first opening act was interesting, a trio of girls from brooklyn playing keyes and fiddling with samples... it was kind of like stars

meowskers was a treat, i had no idea he had such a great voice

The SLip opened with a rockin jam that turned into a slow eube, which was great...then they moved onto the airplane/primitive song, which is still being toyed with, with marc on strat. This was probably the best airplane/primitive that i've heard, and it was at a slower tempo which allowed for some great drumming... next was an awesome paper birds/landlord, with more inspiring drumming and instrumentation, followed by wine white soda, which i dont usually like... but it was good anyway. I can't really place most of the show chronologically but i know they played shiver, which was beautiful... Then brad mentioned a little place along the road to narrows called "dad's place" and invited mr friedman and mr barr up to play a song (can't think of the name) and mr fridman played drums, while andrew played harmonica and mr barr had a solo...good times. Next came the newer tune "sleepyhead", which was fun, followed by the best poorboy ive heard, followed by even rats. Then (again, i can't really place it chronologically) they played if one of us should fall, highlighted by marc playing the piano in the distance (accompanied by many drunken yells that sort of ruined the moment)
After much applause, the 1st encore was baba o'reily, which rocked, followed by what was probably the biggest treat of the night: moral decay, which ended with brad and marc standing right next to andrew absolutely tearing up the former paper mill we know as narrows. All in all a great performance by all artists, this should quickly turn into a fan favorite 8) 8) 8)

P.S. If im not mistaken there were at least 2 tapers, maybe more... i know i saw clinton taping the slips set and i might've seen jason taping meowskers, im not sure... :)
and the days are long... like the words to a little song
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

4/15/06: Narrows Center for the Arts: Fall River, MA
Set 1: Eube^, Headshot tease> Airplane/Primitive, Shiver, Wine and White Soda, Paper Birds, Next Time You See Me*, Sleepyhead, Poorboy, Even Rats,
Encore: If One of Us Should Fall#, Baba O'Reily, Moral Decay
Notes: ^ "Nube Eube" was played in a blues rock style.
* with parents Phil Barr (guitar), Bob Friedman (drums), also Andrew on harmonica
# Marc played the intro on the piano which is in the back of the room
marc playing the piano in the distance (accompanied by many drunken yells that sort of ruined the moment)
I didn't know Marc was going to do that. I happened to be standing on that side of the room so I watched from right there. I was noticing the lack of quietness as Marc played unamplified from 100 feet away and Brad whispered the vocals. Some of the crowd was being good and singing along to the song. Unfortunatly some asshat had to be a couple feet from my mics talking to his buddy at full drunken volume. So the moment that really was pretty beautiful does not translate to tape well at all. Not only can Marc hardly be heard but the asshat is the loudest thing on there. Yapping about his friends hat or something. I'm bent.
jpkuckens
Yaki Soba

haha asshat... yeah seems like every time i got ot a show @ narrows some dude is being an asshat

when can we expect this up on the good ol' etree?
tyler
From the Gecko

Cleantone wrote:I didn't know Marc was going to do that. I happened to be standing on that side of the room so I watched from right there. I was noticing the lack of quietness as Marc played unamplified from 100 feet away and Brad whispered the vocals. Some of the crowd was being good and singing along to the song. Unfortunatly some asshat had to be a couple feet from my mics talking to his buddy at full drunken volume. So the moment that really was pretty beautiful does not translate to tape well at all. Not only can Marc hardly be heard but the asshat is the loudest thing on there. Yapping about his friends hat or something. I'm bent.
bummer about the drunk. i think that might have been the guy who kept trying to get me to take pictures of girls all night, and wanted to dance with my girlfriend. weird dude.

did you at least pick up the big crowd singalong ok? that was the best part, if marc's piano playing didn't get in there.

ps i thought if one of us should fall was a part of the main set, not the encore? or maybe not. everything is pretty blurred.
chloe
Lion on a Rock

So the moment that really was pretty beautiful does not translate to tape well at all.
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
jpkuckens
Yaki Soba

so ummm whats new with the progress of this taping? 8)
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

so ummm whats new with the progress of this taping?
Still have not touched the recording beside backing it up. Not sure what will happen with it. So far I really think the I1OUSF is unlistenable. I have a lot of other things to do before getting to this show.
jpkuckens
Yaki Soba

sounds cool man... do you know of anywhere the meowskers set might be available? they had an awesome night...
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Sickest Baba O'Riley or what?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4p2dal
lumpy
From the Gecko

thanks tone!
etahn
From the Gecko

Why does sendspace never let me download anything? Have I just been bad?

Wow, it just worked.

"Bitch, and you shall receive"?
The world really is magic
tyler
From the Gecko

Okay it took me a few tries to figure out sendspace but then i got it. and that was absolutely sick. thanks cleantone.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

hells yeah.

someone call j and tell him to put this on Guitar Hero II !!!

seriously, i hope theyre planning on getting a track on there.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

D,

That is not a bad idea. I found out that a lot if not all of those big rock tunes were re recorded by other bands for the game. Maybe that is obvious or common knowledge, I have only played it three times and only a few tunes each time. So if The Who agreed to do GHII The Slip could/should track it!!

Hopefully The Slip will get a track on the sequel. I imagine the competition is stiffer this time around after the popularity of the origional.

What origional Slip tune do you think would work well for the game?
tim
The Weight of Solomon

Cleantone wrote:What origional Slip tune do you think would work well for the game?
PROUD!