3-8-06 The Grog Shop, Cleveland Hts, OH

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

3-8-06 The Grog Shop, Cleveland Hts, OH

Drew Carey wrote:Cleveland Rocks!!
what a great show.. I'm soo glad that I decided to go! Here's the setlist..

The Slip
3-8-06
The Grog Shop
Cleveland, OH

New Marc Instrumental (Airplane/primative)
Reddish Moon
Even Rats
STTN
Something Learned
Poor boy*
Suffocation Keep*
Mudslide*%
Sleepyhead
Soft Machine^

E: Proud ^
As Long as theres one of us Standing

* w/ Apollo Sunshine's Guitar Player on Pedal steel
% He switches from peddle steel in the song to guitar back to pedal steel
^ Marc on Strat

First, the Grog shop is an awesome venue.. reminds me a little of the Stone Poney in the way it's layed out, only slightly nicer. Marc's new instrumental is gonna be a hit I tell ya... if you haven't heard it yet, just wait! Now after the first 3 songs I was getting a little upset, I know that they were gonna play a lot of the same songs, but I guess it just upset me that I was thinking I'd almost get the same show that I got in Pittsburgh, but.. then they pulled out STTN. Now the last time I had heard this was while listening to a show from September, and in my honest opinion, Brad was trying to sing it like a rock star and just freaking killed it. Well, last night, he totally redeemed himself, it was awesome!
Then, to pull something learned out, wow! I saw a kid standing up front singing the words. I said to myself, anyone that knows the words to something learned I gotta meet. Cool Kid, his name was D (I told him about this place, so hopefully he hits it up). Then they started setting up for Poor boy. Now, I was never a huge fan of this song, but with peddle steel, it was sick!! Then to follow it up with Suffocation keep (one of the few songs I wanted to hear {this song has really just grown on me})

After suffocation keep, the boys just let it all out with the most raucous Mudslide ever!! The guitarist from AS started out on peddle steel and it seemed like he couldn't do what he wanted, so he switched to guitar.. there were some real Murzbo moments... than back to peddle steel... it was probably the best Mudslide I've heard.. and I love that song!

Then things mellowed out with a nice sleepy head, which never let it be said that Andrew can't sing... I'd actually like to see him step up to the plate a little more...

From there it moved into Soft Machine with Marc on strat to end the set. Encore they came out and played a nice proud with Marc on strat (I will say marc was pulling some great stuff on the strat, real harmonics, but I kinda prefer it on bass... but, I'm not picky! :D ) Then the show ended with a rocking So long as there's one of us standing.

I'm telling you, the boys are on fire this tour, and I'm really upset that I can't hit the show in Cincy tonight.. :(

Oh.. and unfortunately, there were no tapers last night....
Well that's it in a nutshell, my short run is done for now...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
tim
The Weight of Solomon

'bout fuckin' time you got your ass out of bed :!:

glad to hear you caught some good shows. i looked at the clock at 11 last night, thought about you and pam and then kicked myself in the ass for misreading the calender for all those weeks. it's cool though, i'll just have to hit up philly next month and do a quick animal collective jaunt in the meantime...hey, at least i'm not driving home from pittsburgh right now :P
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

true dat.. Pam actually didn't end up going with me.. I got my buddy matt to go (broke his cherry in Pittsburgh and made him a dirty slip whore in Cleveland...)

Incidently, if you can check out apollo sunshine or sam champion, both great bands..

incidently, Brad says to me last night "it's too bad that little bitch Tim didn't come out"... mostly cause that's what I told him in pittsburgh ("yeah.. the little bitch was supposed to come out and bitched out, but it's cool" was kinda what I said...)... But I still had a laugh at your expense.. :lol: I also told him you'd be raging down in Philly so be prepared! But you missed a hell of a good show.. but you know what.. i've missed my share too... Too bad I can't hook up with you guys for the philly show.. oh well.. summers ahead..
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
etahn
From the Gecko

Re: 3-8-06 The Grog Shop, Cleveland Hts, OH

Bless your retarded heart Pat! A bunch of my friends went to the show last night (sadly, it never even occurred to me to fly in for one show), but they all know the band through me, so my hopes for a setlist were NOT riding with them. Thanks for stepping up on this one, and may the Midwest be redeemed.

My only question:
Pstehley wrote: Soft Machine^

^ Marc on Strat
I know Marc usually puls out the Dano for these (12th fret capo for Machine lately).

You sure it was a Strat?
The world really is magic
francis
From the Gecko

damn, i really wish they played that new marc tune in ithaca.. seems like they played it every date afterwards...besides montreal
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

Re: 3-8-06 The Grog Shop, Cleveland Hts, OH

etahn wrote:My only question:
Pstehley wrote: Soft Machine^

^ Marc on Strat
I know Marc usually puls out the Dano for these (12th fret capo for Machine lately).

You sure it was a Strat?
uhhhmmm...yeah.. you maybe right.. it's the black guitar.. I thought it was a strat.. but I could be wrong... yeah.. it was a good show, really glad I made the trip...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
francis
From the Gecko

that?
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

no.. it had a white pick guard.. I think it was brad's.. cause brad played it later on...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

Pstehley wrote:Brad says to me last night "it's too bad that little bitch Tim didn't come out"... mostly cause that's what I told him in pittsburgh ("yeah.. the little bitch was supposed to come out and bitched out, but it's cool" was kinda what I said...)... But I still had a laugh at your expense.. :lol: ..
lmao! thats awesome. "misread the calender"?! wtf? what are you mayan?
tim wrote:'bout fuckin' time you got your ass out of bed :!:
keep in mind that tim sleeps in the internet. not kidding.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
tim
The Weight of Solomon

diesel wrote:lmao! thats awesome. "misread the calender"?! wtf? what are you mayan?
yes, by calender i meant the moon. i thought the shows fell on waxing gibbous when in fact they were on a first quarter...
fourthaye
Lion on a Rock

Brad @ the Grog Shop

more pictures can be seen here:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... Pf&notag=1
bouche
Alsoa

i would love to hear this show. SAM COHEN is pretty fantastic at the pedal steel power and I really dug watching him switch between that and guitar in Montreal. So adding that layer to the Slip's tunes would have been killer.

I am so very saddened that the audio of this show is now lost in the cosmos.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

well... if we can somehow come up with a device to suck the sounds out of my head.. we'd be set! Yeah.. I was fairly distraught that there were no tapers.. and the taper I was supposed to bring fell through... oh well.. unbelievable good though...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
Phrazz

Goodness Grogness

Man, that's a nice shot. You can make out part of the serial number inside Brad's Gibson. Groovy!

-Phrazz