Broken Social Scene - Pearl Street - 10/23/05

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

etahn
From the Gecko

Broken Social Scene - Pearl Street - 10/23/05

In a word : shocking.

Feist is absolutely incredible. Do whatever you need to to see this woman play, whever, however, whenever. You won't regret it. Ok, maybe you will, but I definitely don't. She's beautiful, full of life and creativity and spark. Not afraid to rock, not too shy to be tender. I'm still in awe.

BSS was a little more and a little less than I expected. They're very high energy, much more hippy than hipster (which I found very surprising). Truth is, i think I like the albums better. Part of that might be the four hours sleep I got the night before, and the oceans of teeny-boppers in the crowd. It was a little sickening.

BSS only seemed to have one dynamic : intense. They put out a lot of sound, but I felt like there was something missing. Like life just isn't that happy all the time. Like I said, I was tired. I don't know if I'd do it again. Maybe with some E.

ps. tim - she really is that hot.
The world really is magic
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Came close to going but ended up in the dog kenel. Oh, I mean Zeitgeist. Remind me I can't go there next time someone plays. I can still barely breathe. I'm extremely allergic to dogs and this place might as well been an actual dog house. Thats with no dogs present. Then after the show two of the largest German Shepherds I have ever seen came in to lay down on the carpets. I packed up as fast as I can but I was really fucked. If I did not have an asthma enhailer on my I would have had to leave after an hour or so, which would have been 9:00pm. Rediculous.
sm
Beantown Rocker

hey etahn, i can see where you're coming from... i think its just their style that lends itself to 1 of 2 things: 1) mind-boggling soul fucking, or 2) yeah, that was good, but........

when i saw them in Ottawa at Bluesfest, it was great, but i kinda wanted more.... i cant put my finger on it, just something was missing in that monstrous sound produced by a dozen or so people on stage. i dunno... im just saying i know what you mean.

i saw a few of the guys from BSS and DMST play with Damo Suzuki (from Can) in Toronto last week, 100% improv.. all signs pointed to a serious rock adventure -> but i left after 25 minutes.... couldnt take the *noise* anymore.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

Re: Broken Social Scene - Pearl Street - 10/23/05

etahn wrote:ps. tim - she really is that hot.
i hope i can hear her from the bathroom stalls...

i'm getting psyched for wednesday. did they play alot of the new album? how long did they play for?? should i take my vitamins???
etahn
From the Gecko

They played most of the new album, though shockingly, they left out It's All Gonna Break. I didn't see how they could not end with that, but they did (or didn't). They only played for like an hour and a half(?!?). Maybe a little longeer, but the show was over by 11:30. Good thing, too, since I'd guess 95%+ of the crowd had school in the morning.

Take your vitamins.

And don't miss Feist. Whatever you do. DON'T MISS FEIST!

I mean it.
The world really is magic
tim
The Weight of Solomon

trust me, i'm not missing feist. she's actually playing a free gig beforehand at a book store in adams morgan but i don't think i'm gonna fight dc traffic in the rain to catch it when i'm already gonna see her.

definitely surprised they didn't play it's all gonna break. such a perfect closer. can't wait though, just might have to call the pharmacist...