10.08.2005 - Southpaw

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Jeffro
Lion on a Rock

10.08.2005 - Southpaw

One set: Soft Machine, Even Rats, I Hate Love, Moderate Threat > Cowboy Up, Paper Birds, Children Of December, Suffocation Keep, Poorboy, Sometimes True To Nothing

Encore: Life In Disguise, Thunder Rose, If One Of Us Should Fall

This was the best slip show I've ever seen. I couldn't ask for a better setlist. They were playing like they meant it. The songs were beautifully performed and were all so tight and they were so synched up. The vocals were finally loud enough (my biggest pet peeve) and the songs all had clear beginnings and endings. I can't wait to see these guys again on 10/19.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Thunder Rose is now called Miss Prism.
Chris.

the similarity to the setlist the night before is really bummin me out
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

the similarity to the setlist the night before is really bummin me out
One more way jambands have effed things up. Most bands play the same exact set for the entire tour. It wass The Grateful Dead who pioneered the varied setlists. Now after many years of expecting this people can't seem to get past it when it doesn't happen. Seriously most bands do not vary thier setlists all that much at all. Alot of them play the same set night to night with little improv. At least you know The Slip will play the songs a little differently night to night. They busted out Hey Worrier in Southbridge and 2/3 of the people there didn't know what song it was at all anyway. Sorry to vent.
Jeffro
Lion on a Rock

yeah and the similiarities in setlists should only bum you out if you saw both shows. I think the guys should play a similiar setlist night to night. That was their BEST stuff last night and the set flowed really well. I know a lot of people are digging this indie rock direction but I love it and, after working at it for a year and change now, I feel like they've really got their new sound under control. This new CD is going to kick ass!
The Sea and Cake
Even Rats

I agree. This show was a lot of fun.

Aside from a song or two that I just don't dig (Paper Birds)...it was awesome.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

jeffro, im not sure i agree with you when you this was their best show. then again, i cant really comment on what i thought of it, b/c frankly, like most other birthday celebration shows that i have been to, its a show that you cant ever forget, but one that you cant remember. :D

anyway, about the "new slip". im content with the slip changing their musical direction, thats fine. bands that dont change eventauly either just break up or fall of the earth. but, what i dont like, and probably wont grow to like, is one set, same setlist shows. i nagged about this a while back on graffiti when dec kids became a nightly song. so, to me this discussion is almost like beating a dead monkey (pat). but its usually a good discussion so i try to engage it.

so, is this the new slip? one set, same songs every night? i hope not because whats the point of seeing them when they come to baltimore next month? i already saw the same songs saturday, not to mention all last year. i dont really buy the 'songs sound different every night'. should i just go to shows, out of band loyalty? fuck band loyalty, how lame is that?! i dont go to shows to look at the band. i go to hear good music. im a fan of the music, not a groupie of the members. lets be clear about something before i go on, i do like the new songs, but i like the old stuff too. when i hear the slip played their best songs last night, why does that not include older tunes, especially their sonic instrumentals. i think they could satisfy a lot of fans, if they repeated about half of their sets, and threw in little surprises here and there. if this is not going to happen, then this band isnt really worth travelling for anymore.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

what the hell happend to You Might Say,

TEDACATM

I am really mising a kick ass you Might Say and a Eube together cause i think they are kind of similar.

Yeah im a sucker for gecko
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

diesel wrote:so, to me this discussion is almost like beating a dead monkey (pat). but its usually a good discussion so i try to engage it.
thanks for the honorable mention!!

I do agree with you though... but I also understand that this is where they are at right now... and they are just trying to fine tune some things... but there are things I like and things I don't like (see the STTN from montreal.. vocal screaming just totally fucking killed it).. but hey... it's their call.. if they are repeating the same show... I might see them twice... probably not 2x in a row... but it's hard to say...

one final note... I said to Pam... yeah... if you don't like their style, that kinda sucks, but you gotta realize you just gotta stick around cause the style is bound to change in a little while again, it's just the way it is. always changing....
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
Katie
Invocation

Ah, back to the setlist discussion... the more we talk about this, the more I'm inclined to say I agree with the mentality of why see the same thing several times? (wait, diesel and i agree on something?! quick, say something else we can argue about! j/k)

I don't think it's because I expect them to do a 'jamband' thing of playing completely different setlists every night, I don't think I've ever thought of them as a jamband (or a jazz band or an indie-rock band for that matter), and frankly, I've heard some jambands play pretty shitty versions of songs just trying to mix things up. That being said, what they have done is explored numerous musical territories over the years, which lends them to having their own way of making a set unpredictable. Many times at shows I was amazed to hear how they would seamlessly transition from a long jazzy instrumental, to a short quirky vocal tune, off into a jam or something that just flat out rocked. It was the element of surprise within a song or from one to the next, how they mixed up different styles, and combined the different sounds that they've developed in their musical journeys. I like a lot of the 'new sound', and I like a lot of the stuff that was new last year and the year before, and the year before... but that's just it... I like alot of what they've played throughout the years, but I don't necessarily want to go out of my way just to hear just one group of similar songs played the same way live all the time.

And you're right Cleantone, a lot of bands do play the same set every night, but I also don't go travel to see most bands too far from where I live, or pay to go see them more than once, maybe twice a year. I'd rather go back to seeing them just a few times a year again, and probably be ecstatic about those couple shows, then burn myself out on hearing the same thing every night... and really there's nothing wrong with that. I still dig it. I'd just rather cut back on my Slip-dosage then see them all the time just to spend a bunch of time bitching about what they didn't play.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I'd rather go back to seeing them just a few times a year again, and probably be ecstatic about those couple shows, then burn myself out on hearing the same thing every night... and really there's nothing wrong with that. I still dig it. I'd just rather cut back on my Slip-dosage then see them all the time just to spend a bunch of time bitching about what they didn't play.
That makes perfect sense. I've been thinking the same thing myself.
Robyn

Pat said:
but there are things I like and things I don't like (see the STTN from montreal.. vocal screaming just totally fucking killed it).

I agree with you on this but, I must say I listened to the 9.8.05 show...which sounds very clean and professional and then the Montreal show and figured well, they must have been partying pretty darn hard(need I say like, Rockstars...on no!) that day it being a Pop festival and all so maybe that's why there was so much screaming. Then again who knows, right? Someone's dog could have died or gotten sick.

I certainly hope that when I see them they will bust out with some older songs as well. Stagnacy sucks.

Robyn
Jeffro
Lion on a Rock

as for setlists similiarities...keep in mind, they recently finished a record (two if you include SMMD). They are probably eager and excited to play the songs that they worked so hard at refining and perfecting in that process.

Once the album is out, I'm sure you will see the return of old favorites as well as new crop of wonderful songs.

Most people probably won't agree with me but I'll just say that I dig one, two hour set. I don't really like setbreaks and always think they go too long.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

yeah, how many times is 6 sided played now?
Katie
Invocation

Dan wrote:yeah, how many times is 6 sided played now?
now? how 'bout ever?
2 from Slipbase:
20020803: Bethel Farm (Booty Bash): Hillsborough, NH
Set I: From the Gecko > *Zion jam > Nellie Jean, Autobody Experience, More About Me?, Ode to to Jason, 6-Sided! > OooOooO, Jumby!, improv reggae*> Flood of Joyful Existence Waters, "?"> %"?", Before you were Born, Rhythm and Gold > Lion on a Rock> **insanity till the console was off and the tapers quit > The Weight of Solomon!
20031026: UVM [Billings Lounge] Brad Solo show: Burlington, VT
Set I: [ted k] Before You Were Born, Predicting The Rain, Ramona, Seventy-Four, Glad I Found You, Song (with Andrew), Dispossessed, Ambrosia Drunk, 6-Sided, Little Red Corvette!
Your chances of hearing that now are probably as good as they ever were.