stephen malkmus and the jicks 6/5 black cat wash d.c.

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tim
The Weight of Solomon

stephen malkmus and the jicks 6/5 black cat wash d.c.

so yesterday i found out that former pavement frontman stephen malkmus and his current project the jicks were playing a club down in washington. being a big fan of pavement and the fact i had never seen them or malkmus i decided i definitely had to check this show out. so i proceed to go online to get tickets but, much to my dismay, they damn thing is sold out. "no big deal" i thought, just have to be better prepared next time. i still wanted some sort of malkmus fix though so i decided to head down to our local record store "the soundgarden" to pick up his new album "face the truth"... good move on my behalf. i picked up the cd and after some browsing i took it to the front counter. i proceed to hand it to the check out guy with a $20 bill. the dude behind the counter scans the cd then holds it up and looks at me and says "what are YOU doing tonight?". i replied- "not seeing him, shit is sold out". all of a sudden the clerk gets a real smug look on his face, reaches down behind the register and hands me a ticket to the show! "here ya go dude". HEADY SCORE!!! turns out one of the employees there had a ticket and couldn't go so they decided they would give it away, free, to the next person who bought anything pavement related and, luckily, that person was me. needless to say i was stoked and that was definitely the coolest thing that's happened to me in a minute.

the show itself was as awesome as the events described above. they totally rocked that joint out, definitely one of the best club shows i've ever seen. his new band is stellar and they have some downright killer songs. they played most everything off their new album, some tunes off pig lib and some other stuff. these guys(and girl) were more fun than a barrel of monkeys and took their brand of rock waaaay out there. malkmus writes quirky indie songs with some of the most imaginative lyrics out there IMO. you either totally get him or you don't. his lyrics are really to the point in terms of their weirdness but still leave alot up to the listeners' imagination. oh yeah, malkmus has to be one the most underrated guitarists out there. this guy totally wails and now i completely see why people like trey anastasio are such huge fans of his. his bassist was particularly fun to watch BTW. picture a charming tomboy, the kind that liked to skip class and go get high with the guys. now put a fender in her hand, a cigarette between her lips and a bottle of beer at her feet...sit back and watch every guys' dream rock out. she and marc really need shack up and procreate for the good of the world.

definitely see malkmus and the jicks if you get the chance, they will rock your world. if you're not familiar with him and his music then i'd suggest picking up his new album or something like pavement's "brighten the corners" to get a taste of his genius.

Sun 06/05/05 Philadelphia, PA Theatre Of Living Arts
Mon 06/06/05 Boston, MA Paradise Club
Tue 06/07/05 New York, NY Irving Plaza
Thu 06/09/05 Cleveland, OH Beachland Ballroom & Tavern
Fri 06/10/05 Detroit, MI St. Andrews Hall
Sat 06/11/05 Chicago, IL Metro / Smart Bar
Sun 06/12/05 Minneapolis, MN First Avenue
Tue 06/14/05 Los Angeles, CA El Rey Theatre
Wed 06/15/05 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore
Fri 06/17/05 Portland, OR Crystal Ballroom
Sat 06/18/05 Seattle, WA Neumo's
Sun 06/19/05 Vancouver, BC Richard's On Richards
Mon 07/04/05 New York, NY Battery Park
casey
Alsoa

that is awesome. hes playing tonight in philly but I dont have any money. Pavement is probobaly my favorite band and I never had the chance to see them live. I really wish I could go, damn it. thats good to hear though, the new cd is awesome