The Fearless Freaks

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

etahn
From the Gecko

The Fearless Freaks

Let me start with mad props to tim for posting about this on that other Slip site. Without his help I'd still be in the dark about this film, and that would be sad.

That said, I saw The Fearless Freaks, a documentary about The Flaming Lips.

My life is changed.

I could go on, but I wouldn't do it justice. I had an inkling that this band was awesome, and now I'm sure of it.

Do yourself a favor and go see for yourself.
The world really is magic
tim
The Weight of Solomon

i'm glad you enjoyed it. it's available on DVD btw.

if you're into inspiring stories, than this is a must see. this movie fully captures the aesthetic of the flaming lips.
torph
Alsoa

wow, sounds wonderful Ethan- I'll have to track this down asap. Hope all is well with you. High Sierra? I'm working on it.

take care,

torph

p.s.: i finally graduated last week. no more college, ever. :P
etahn
From the Gecko

torph wrote:p.s.: i finally graduated last week. no more college, ever. :P
Yeah, I said that once (or was it twice?). I'd guess you know more than one who has fallen prey to the lure of better pay for fancier paper.

High Sierra is my current pipe dream, seeing as I need a Slip fix. For the last few years it's been every three to six months, but now it's looking like much longer. High Sierra would be great (can you say "Weinery"?), but I'm afraid Mullen's late summer affair has precedence, and I don't think I'll have money for both this year. Maybe I should quit everything here, hitch to CA, and pimp myself as a washboard player in a fish market punk band.

That'd be cool.
etahn
From the Gecko

Oh, I almost forgot.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!CONGRATULATIONS TORPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you busted your ass for it. I also know you partied away what ass you didn't bust. I know because by the end of your first semester, you were already looking for extra seat cushions. I can only imagine what it must be like now.

Look at torph. He has no ass.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

etahn wrote:...Look at torph. He has no ass.
:lol: congrats torph

i cant wait for all good, the lips are gonna bring that place down. i remember the last berkfest (RIP) and in their intro, on the screen, with giant letters said:

THIS
WILL BE
THE BEST
CONCERT
OF YOUR
LIFE!

wow. it was up there.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
torph
Alsoa

Aww, shucks. You guys are nice. For the record, Ethan, I do remember YOU living in our dorm that 1st semester for a while... If I remember it right, you egged on many a Sliptrip, which, incidentally, set things into motion for years to come. I mean what was better than graduating high school, leaving home, and linking up with a crew that shared my reckless love for BAM.

At least by this last year I was wise enough to know when to take a semester off and hit the road and live out my roadie-tour-fantasy without the spectar of blown-off classes looming over me. In any case, I have no regrets. :arrow: Onto High Sierra.

Ethan, I hope to see you soon. It looks like I'm moving to the Bay with Master Fordyce. We just played some great shows together and have decided to inject our music into the westcoast, to see how it takes. Winery? F_ck Yeah! Dan Mullen's wedding? Double F_ck yeah!! Seeing Ethan dosed out of his brain at High Sierra after I drop acid in his beer? Priceless....
etahn
From the Gecko

Ferry ride across Lake Champlain - $2
Slice of nasty fucking chicken pizza in Manhattan - $4
Ticket to see BAM at the Wetlands - $12
Discovering what it really means to change your baby - Priceless
jbahr

high sierra

i don't post here much...but...

FRED - get in touch...

I have my cali trip booked. I get into SF on 6/24 at 6pm and head to the Slip show...then a few days are up in the air, maybe some winery....might be another date added around june 25th

june 28th i go to reno and get caroline at the airport and we head to tahoe for 2 days. June 30th I pick up Mike Esposito (ESPO!!) at the airport and drive to High Sierra.

I fly out of Reno on July 4th, which sucks because this Santa Cruz show just came about.

jb

like i said- get in touch:
jb@theslip.com