clevis at the whistle stop

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tim
The Weight of Solomon

clevis at the whistle stop

sometimes you go out with no expectations and end up stumbling on something amazing...this happened to me last night. i went to a bar to check out an old friend's new band and when i got there he assured me that his new band would be "some of the best bass/drum playing you've ever seen". i doubted this statement and reminded him of the bands i normally listen to. he wasn't far off in his prediction though and what i saw blew my mind. the bass/drum duo of 'clevis' absolutely rocked last night, it was one of those moments where i couldn't believe what i was seeing...ALMOST on the same level of seeing the slip or schleigho for the first time. these two have been playing together for ten years and their sound has a real heavy prog influence but they're definitely accessable to "jam" kids. the bassist plays with a fretless, upright 5 string, and a vast array of pedles including the boomerang which he uses to loop bass line and add other crazy effects. they listen to stuff like mr bungle, zorn, tool and the mars volta...i really need to burn them some stuff by alot of the bands we listen to. check out their myspace account, i'm interested in hearing what some of you think about their sound.

http://www.myspace.com/clevis
casey
Alsoa

definitly cool stuff
joe
Tenfold

that's some pretty intense stuff. i like it....have you ever heard the group lightning bolt? someone mentioned them, maybe on this forum, and I never got to hear it, but this is what I imagined it sounds like. these guys might like the slip, what with the looping and volume pedal on the second song. thanks for the tip.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

joe wrote:that's some pretty intense stuff. i like it....have you ever heard the group lightning bolt? someone mentioned them, maybe on this forum, and I never got to hear it, but this is what I imagined it sounds like. these guys might like the slip, what with the looping and volume pedal on the second song. thanks for the tip.
i asked them if they had heard of lightning bolt because that was one of the first things that came to mind and they hadn't heard of them or most of the other bands i listen to religiously. i'm definitely gonna hook them up with discs and make them hip to some of the other sounds out there.
Big Bob
From the Gecko

that's some pretty good stuff

i like it