the duo last night

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tim
The Weight of Solomon

the duo last night

they f'ing rocked last night, could have been the best i've ever seen them. they had the funk box packed for a tuesday night(thank you mike gordon). the new stuff is really really good and they've also added a killer light show to go along with them. i should have a taken pictures but jazz ciggarettes had me paralyzed. make sure to check them out when they come around, i have a feeling they're only going to get bigger and bigger. the new album will be awesome.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

I'm assuming he wasn't there last night, but the question comes to mind, do you think that Mike could become a permenant fascit or will he remain just a random sit in... hmmmm... I honestly don't think they need him.. just curious about other people's opinion on this...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

the new album will be awesome.
Already is!! Suckers!!

j/k

As far as adding Mike. I'm not sure there into that. It would have pros and cons. I wont catch any of the upcoming trio shows but I bet they have some nice new material. After the 29th show in Boston they talked about learning a new Phish cover during soundcheck for the 30th to play for the 30th and 31st but decided not to bother. As an long time Phish fan I liked hearing those covers done by The Duo. Can't wait till I have spare time to mix my 29th multi...
tim
The Weight of Solomon

i'm a bigger fan of just the duo. IMO, mikes holds them back. marco can already play the best bass lines to go with their music so mike just seems like dead weight at times. i can headbob with the best of them and i always focus on the bass when i'm grooving and marco is just so frantic when he plays it's great. it's impossible to know exactly what's coming next. i'll be rocking out in time with bass and then he veers off in a totally different direction, i love it.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

I concur completely tim.. that's totally what I was thinking, just curious what other people think.. some people are just in mike's awe that they don't realize that it's kinda taking away something... it's just for show.. ya know.. ooohhh it's mike.. .instead of.. wow, I can't believe these 2 people rocked so hard I lost my fillings...
8)
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
casey
Alsoa

Pstehley wrote:I concur completely tim.. that's totally what I was thinking, just curious what other people think.. some people are just in mike's awe that they don't realize that it's kinda taking away something... it's just for show.. ya know.. ooohhh it's mike.. .instead of.. wow, I can't believe these 2 people rocked so hard I lost my fillings...
8)
I don't think Mike is just for show, he adds a lot to the music. I think he gives them another element they are lacking. Their music gets a little dull after a while when its just them two in my opinion.

I think 3 is the magic number for bands, still a lot of room for the musicians to work with and has enough elements to keep it interesting.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

yet another amazing show in my own backyard that i missed. i couldnt make it.. bad timing is my game.

duo > duordo

im not a big phish fan, but i like gordo as a bass player, and they all have good chemistry when they play, and i would think that if they toured for a while they would find that 'trio' mode, instead of being a sold duo with a guest. eventually, i think marco would expand his playing to focus on leads.. but i think the charm of the duo is that its just TWO of them.

they f'kn rock. im pissed i missed.. april 1st, philly, im there.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

diesel wrote:yet another amazing show in my own backyard that i missed. i couldnt make it.. bad timing is my game.
hey, at least you got to see a full 30 minutes of PAN DE MUERTOS last night!

Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

hows the show, sound wise?
tim
The Weight of Solomon

get this show if you haven't already!!! i spent most of the weekend listening to it and it is amazing, just as good as i sorta remembered it being. the new songs are off the hook and i love the direction the duo is taking their music. the new album is going to be sick, i was tempted to order the japan release but it wouldn't get here for two weeks so i'm going to hold out or maybe i can talk cleantone in burning me a copy :wink:

j/k c'tone

p.s.- there really needs to be a full fledged slip/duo tour this fall!