The Barr Brothers L' Envers, Montreal Oct.2nd

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

jibooer
Lion on a Rock

The Barr Brothers L' Envers, Montreal Oct.2nd

HERE'S the setlist from tonite's show. Really enjoyed this one. Legendary I tells ya. Set ran @ 1h10.

01.Beggar In The Morning
02.Gone
03.Old Mythologies
04.Give The Devil Back His Heart
05.Ooh Belle
06.Devil's Harp
07.I Can't Keep From Cryin' (Sometimes)
08.If You Leave Me
09.Cloud (For Llasa)

Great turnout for the brothers, 'twas probably one of the largest I've seen here in Montreal so far. Lots of cool people, one house cat, and a couple of toddlers enjoying the relaxed setting. With the exception of a minor vocal flub during the first verse of 'Old Mytholgies' the songs were played exceptionally well, and the newer tunes 'Gone' and 'If you Leave Me' standout perfomance-wise for me. Gotta get Andrew on more vocals, he and his brother nailed 'er tonite! Special mention has to go to Andres Vial, the newest member. The multi-instrumentalist played everything short of the guitar and harp ce soir, and his basslines were kick-ass.
bradm
Beantown Rocker

Nice!

Aloha,
Brad
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

Did you happen to catch their show yesterday during the Patrick Watson curated 'Sacred Sunday' event?
Twitter: @lucsamuels
jibooer
Lion on a Rock

Lucas - no I didn't but I did post a link so people would know about it. I am sure it was a blast. Alas, I was drawn to Burlington for the Built To Spill show instead.
putty
From the Gecko

jibooer wrote:Lucas - no I didn't but I did post a link so people would know about it. I am sure it was a blast. Alas, I was drawn to Burlington for the Built To Spill show instead.
How was BTS??
jibooer
Lion on a Rock

BTS was great and I really enjoyed their set. Thanks for asking. They are a band that is subtley intense, before you know it a wall of guitar sound is coming at you. They ripped thru lots of tunes spannning their career, and I was happy to get 'Big Dipper' and the uncommon 'Ripple' cover.

Here's the setlist:

01.Traces
02.Stab
03.Hindsight
04.Strange
05.Wherever You Go
06.Virginia Reel Around The Fountain
07.Ripple
08.The Plan
09.Things Fall Apart
10.Big Dipper
11.Carry The Zero
Encore:
12.Liar
13.Twin Falls
14.Untrustable, Pt.2

Stayer tuned to bt.etree.org for my recording...
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Built to Spill playing Grateful Dead... very cool! Would love to hear that!
putty
From the Gecko

jibooer wrote:BTS was great and I really enjoyed their set. Thanks for asking. They are a band that is subtley intense, before you know it a wall of guitar sound is coming at you. They ripped thru lots of tunes spannning their career, and I was happy to get 'Big Dipper' and the uncommon 'Ripple' cover.

Here's the setlist:

01.Traces
02.Stab
03.Hindsight
04.Strange
05.Wherever You Go
06.Virginia Reel Around The Fountain
07.Ripple
08.The Plan
09.Things Fall Apart
10.Big Dipper
11.Carry The Zero
Encore:
12.Liar
13.Twin Falls
14.Untrustable, Pt.2

Stayer tuned to bt.etree.org for my recording...
They're so good. I love the way Doug Martsch kinda fidgets the whole time he's playing and singing. I went through a big BTS faze about five years ago, and don't listen to them as much now. Still, they put on a great show. The last time I saw time I saw them, I got way too drunk for my own good, but have a vague recollection of rocking out in various ways.

I'm glad to see they didn't end the show with one of their 25 minute jam songs. I'm assuming Untrustable, Pt. 2 didn't go on for 20 minutes, right?
jibooer
Lion on a Rock

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=539127

Here's the link to my recording. Enjoy.

Untrustable clocked in at @ 9 mins. Not alot of jamming at all, but they had their moments where everything just gelled.

Doug is indeed an unique performer, a couple of times he looked like he could be good design for a muppet! :D
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

putty wrote:I'm glad to see they didn't end the show with one of their 25 minute jam songs. I'm assuming Untrustable, Pt. 2 didn't go on for 20 minutes, right?
Oh man I love it when these guys jam! I read somewhere that Brett Netson was out with a broken collarbone, is he back on the tour?
bear
From the Gecko

yep, Brett was there. I saw them in Pawtucket last saturday. didnt seem to have any issues. Although he did sit down for half of the set. so maybe the guitar strap was hurting his collar bone. They played 10min past curfew for a total of 1hr40min. by far the longest BTS show Ive seen. Highlights were the Nowhere Nothing opener, I friggin LOVE the jam in to the "In Amercia Every puddle, gasoline rainbow" part. I dont think Ive seen Resons before and the Concenvtional Wisdom show closer was great. Go see them if they come near you!

setlist for the show i saw...

10/2/10 The Met, Pawtucket, RI
Nowhere Nothin' Fuckup, In the Morning, Hindsight, You Were Right, Reasons, Planting Seeds, Ripple, Stop the Show, Else, Time Trap, The Weather, Pat, Carry the Zero
Encore: Randy Described Eternity, Car, Conventional Wisdom
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
putty
From the Gecko

harrymcq wrote:
putty wrote:I'm glad to see they didn't end the show with one of their 25 minute jam songs. I'm assuming Untrustable, Pt. 2 didn't go on for 20 minutes, right?
Oh man I love it when these guys jam!
Don't get me wrong. I do too! But 25 minutes just gets to be a little too much for me.