Jacob Fred at the Lizard last Saturday night

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

stephen
Lion on a Rock

Jacob Fred at the Lizard last Saturday night

So I went to see JFJO at the Lizard Lounge on Saturday night. Two long sets, great stuff from their new EP, some superb Beatles covers...and yet barely 30 people were in attendance .....and no tapers. I felt so bad for the band. They've been coming around for 12 years or so now, and this is all they can draw on a Saturday night in a college town? The band is as sharp and as focussed as I've ever seen them (their shows used to be wank-fests in the beginning), and I think the new drummer they brought on board a few years ago is absolutely the right fit. I hope it's just the economy and not a reflection on the jam-band scene.
putty
From the Gecko

the jamband scene has been dying a slow death for a while now.
Phrazz

most likely the economy (my guess)

It could be the economy is 70% of the downturn, and other shows on a Sat. night 30%. Could factor in how much flyering was done and what is up with Lizard Lounge lately (haven't been there recently, so I'd defer to local agents ;) ).

I've seen remarkably low turnouts at hugely popular local clubs (like the Marleys at State Theatre...a tad over 1/2 capacity). Definitely the economy. 20 bucks a ticket, 5 per beer, 4 beers and you've spent 50 easy plus travel. Do that twice a week and you're eating into your food money. I've been even more frugal myself (compared to what I usually spend...which is still too much ;) ).

It's not the jamband scene as much as it's the music scene in general. This is "disposable income" from a strict budget perspective, even though most of us would consider music an absolute necessity. If you consider rent, food and getting to work, music isn't really in the top 3...maybe top 5 for some people. But life w/o music would totally suck, so it's essential in a spiritual sense.

10 to 20% unemployment, but maybe double that percentage as people who are stuck in jobs just to make ends meet...they certainly aren't going to kick down fifty bucks for a fun night out (and I don't blame them).

I don't blame the "jamband scene"...it's all music scenes (except Phish, who are an anomaly...the exception, not the rule, due to the rabid-ness of its followers who will beg, borrow and steal to see Phish no matter what).
Big Bob
From the Gecko

the economy and my lack of regular employment these days makes money short, but for the most part i keep going to see live music for the sake of my sanity. i tend not to regret the investment, especially if it's the fred. i was able to drag a few others with me on saturday to go see them, but usually no one wants to.

the sounds in my brain can't understand how anyone who hears the fred's music can dislike it, but through my experience i've come to realize that not many people are open to music that challenges their expectations. my buddy told me that he saw a guy and a girl walk into the lizard lounge on saturday. they got to the bottom of the stairs. the girl stopped, forwned, looked at the guy she was with, shook her head 'no,' and they left.

it amazes me how often jfjo has been coming around the northeast for the past several years. there is rarely a large crowd but always a great performance. it will be a sad day if lack of interest makes them stop touring.

p.s. - i heard brian say that they are planning on being back in the northeast in 3 months
bear
From the Gecko

I'm a casual JFJO fan and the loss of Reed Mathis greatly affected my desire to see them
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Yeah they still are great but Reed was definitely a big attraction. I hear Phrazz on the money thing, I have been skipping a lot of shows lately because of the $$... it is expensive, a couple tix, a few drinks, maybe dinner out before. I still go to shows but only the ones I am really excited about.

I would still be seeing a lot of Slip shows if they were touring... I have seen JFJO this year but have skipped a few sets for various reasons. They just aren't on my 'must see' list these days...

As far as others not digging their music it is for sure a niche thing and I think your average Fred fan is a bit more on the intellectually advanced heavy music fan side of things. Most people like things to be easy...
Big Bob
From the Gecko

yeah. I can't help but miss Reed when I see them, but I try to seperate that from my enjoyment of their current lineup. Combs on lapsteel and Hayes on bass are still great. Sure, they don't completely replace Reed, but no one really can.