SET LIST: 12.27.08 Paradise Rock Club, Boston, MA

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

bear
From the Gecko

SET LIST: 12.27.08 Paradise Rock Club, Boston, MA

1: Landing > Airplane/Primitive, Get Me With Fuji, Tinderbox, Even Rats, Autobody Experience > Wolof, Weight of Solomon, Children of December, If One of Us Should Fall*, New Tune**

E: Soft Machine, Paper Birds

* w/ Marco Benevento. ** not sure of title

too tired to do a review. fun show, great to hear the boys playing Slip tunes again...
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Sick show! A wee bit short but hey... good to hear it all, esp. Autobody which was out of hand, super funky! The new tune was great, I think Cleantone said it was called Wolfmother. Tinderbox was a treat, they totally nailed it.

SLIP TOUR 2009!!!! These guys have what I want to hear a lot more of.
Last edited by harrymcq on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

p.s. bear how did I miss you there, buddy? I was a wee bit scrambled...
Carl Crawford
Yaki Soba

the story of thte night was hula hoop...
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

did the boys actually mention a slip tour '09?
the setlist looks great i hope the show was taped
Twitter: @lucsamuels
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

i wasn't near the hula hoop for the slip set. it was kinda cool but i'm glad i couldn't see it. found it kinda distracting.

the set was awesome. i wish there was one more song for the encore, but man the guys totally nailed it last night. One thing I was wondering about is Brad kinda getting lost in the mix though. I noticed he doesn't use that Mesa/Boogie DC-10 anymore and the Fenders he was using seemed a little too quiet during some parts. Hopefully a recording of the show will pick up on everything i missed, if it exists.
appleofmyeye
Alsoa

Last edited by appleofmyeye on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

as far as brad getting lost in the mix it happened at a certain point. He switched out some of his gear because it was malfunctioning or something and because he didnt want a loud pop he turned down the volume on his amp. then when he made the change he never really adjusted the volume back up to where it was but i think they fixed the volume difference in his monitor mix so he wasn't aware. it bugged me to but thats all right i still had a fantastic time and was transported back in time for sure.

-Dan
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

so the setlist looks fantastic, a solid mix of old and new
how was the actual show itself, was brad's voice on ? did they sound more practiced than at high sierra?
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

so i just listened to the show and let me first say that i am extremely jealous of all those who got to attend
that being said the show is great
the boys certainly sound well rehearsed and brad's vocals are as good as they ever are excluding Wolfmother
I'm super glad they mixed up the Eisenhower style set list with brad stating "we looked on the internet to see what songs you guys wanted to hear"
this show was definitly a crowd pleaser from what i can tell and i think its great that the boys decided to listen to the fans on this one

id like to adress the fact that this was only the 2nd performance of the year and it happened to take place in their hometown of boston where they can almost garuntee a sold out show. i think they have realized that the slip will never be the pop giant that it damn well should be and thats all fine and good. i think they will always play choice shows like high sierra and boston but after that i think we will be hard pressed to see another full blown Slip tour
i think the boys and nathan will take a swing at making SMMD big and i wish all the best of luck to them
i think they will also continue to work with other artists as a backing band or fill in for band members or even work production on cds
brad andrew and marc are super talented and will never fall out of the business but i think The Slip will no longer be their go-to vehicle unfortunately
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

i think The Slip will no longer be their go-to vehicle unfortunately
I dunno, haven't talked to the guys about it but last night's show was full of vigor and energy. I kind of get the feelings they just had to chill out, recharge their batteries and all that. I am hoping for a number of shows in 2009. They can easily sell out 500-1000 person venues in the big cities, there really isn't any reason they shouldn't do a few runs a year if they are into it and last night they certainly were into it. I thought it was a lot more cohesive and impassioned then the High Sierra sets (which were darned good, especially the Vaudeville.)

I love Davis, I love Brad solo and I support them in all of their projects but I for one hope to be seeing Slip shows for many years to come. They probably aren't going to be the next Phish or Radiohead at this point but there's no reason they can't keep playing music. Sure the economy has changed the rules of the road but as far as I can tell live music isn't just stopping...
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

from the videos i recently watched on youtube, they do look like they're really having a good time. Marc is all smiles
I hope your right and i hope they do go on a few runs (especially cause i've yet to see them live) a year
if they keep the setlists like last nights show they're going to keep a lot of die hard fans pretty happy
tyler
From the Gecko

fun times, fun times. it did feel a bit short but going by the clock it was just short of 2 hours so it wasn't too out of the ordinary, especially since we got a pretty long Duo set earlier too. great to hear all those songs again, even a few old ones that I never thought I'd get to hear. of course there were lots more I would've liked to hear, but if The Slip were ever to play a set including all of my requests it'd probably end up being a 5 hour show hah.

despite all of the throwback tunes I think the highlight for me was the encore. Soft Machine had a really nice, ambient (for lack of a better term) intro and Paper Birds, always a display of machine-like tightness on the band's part, sounded as perfect as ever.

also loved at the end when Marc mock-offered his bass to a kid in the front row only to cruelly snatch it back. conniving bastard.
stephen
Lion on a Rock

That was a great show indeed. It was like seeing an old friend after a long time apart and enjoying his stories once again. Was it me, or did the opening sound like an ambient version of "Oh Come Let Us Adore Him"? They seemed to really enjoy themselves, so I hope they channel that energy into playing out a bit more. What a great holiday treat. :D
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

tyler wrote: also loved at the end when Marc mock-offered his bass to a kid in the front row only to cruelly snatch it back. conniving bastard.
I saw him hit a string and I heard it through the speakers, too, actually. what a guy.