10.27.08 The Loft UCSD

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

appleofmyeye
Alsoa

10.27.08 The Loft UCSD

Hi all! I went to the show last night to see the boys and Sonya. It was great. The crowd wasn't that big but everyone there was captivated. Brad's set was really beautiful and he opened with two of my favorite songs ever and finished off the set with a surprising song that I have never heard solo. The Sonya/Slip set was pretty damn good. Sonya has an amazing voice and they all seemed to mesh really well. I'm not familiar with Sonya's songs but I enjoyed it very much so. Marc was cracking me up with him playing keys while Sonya was telling us a story. He's so funny. And of course his slick bass playing always impresses me. Brad and Andrew were tearing it up as always which is always a treat. I'm glad I got the chance to experience it all. There were quite a lot of older folks there which surprised me, I thought there would be a much younger crowd. I'm sure most of them came just to see Sonya but they really loved 'Soft Machine' and I just know that The Slip got some new older fans last night.

I do miss The Slip more than ever but I hear Mr. Davis is going to have a good 2009. I can't wait!!

Oh, and our friend Kenny taped, yay!!

Here's Brad's setlist, I might have missed one after Ooh Belle but here is what I have:

Hello I'm a Monster
The Devil's Harp
Sarah Through the Wall
Maria La O
Ooh Belle
I Hate Love!!!
lumpy
From the Gecko

Thanks for the review and setlist! Here's hoping to a great 09' for SMMD and the Slip!
my3catsdaddy
Mudslide

Sonya's setlist

I also remember Brad doing a "Beggar in the Morning"

Sonya's set:
Here I am
Who Knows
Running
This Storm
No Matter what
Every Drop
Solo Sonya
Robin (not played)
Walk Away
Cincinnati
Burn
Soft Machine
You Belong
Here to there (not played)
Fire
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Beggar in the Morning = Hello I'm A Monster = Monster
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

any word as to what the slip/smmd is actually doing in '09 ?
i assume SMMD will have a new cd coming out, but its really hard to tell with the boys, they seem to love sitting on their material for a looooong time
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Yeah, they're like overprotective chickens.

My personal opinion is that you should just get it out there, even if you just self-release. Bands are not gonna make a lot off records these days unless they're very famous and it is an advantage to have people listening to your stuff as they are more likely to go to shows, buy merch etc...
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

yah i definitly agree with you
i mean i just hope they aren't striving for absolute perfection like they did with Eisenhower
i think we and most critics agree that Eisenhower was an absolute gem, but it still didn't get them the recognition they definitly deserve
on the other hand, SMMD material is much more accessible, if the album turns out amazing and then they kill a late night performance like Conan it really could lead to something big
i honestly attribute the botched Conan performance to lack of impact of Eisenhower
bear
From the Gecko

On the Radish page it's "Hello I'm a MOnster" and on the Super Little page its labeled "Beggar in the Morning"
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com