Surprise Me in Boston

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

stephen
Lion on a Rock

Surprise Me in Boston

Mr. Davis will be playing Great Scotts in Alston on THursday August 7th. Kind of a strange choice of venue, but there you go.
kate9487
Mudslide

super exciting news. what's the venue like?
etahn
From the Gecko

does this mean we'll get to see them at the Living Room on the 8th?
The world really is magic
stephen
Lion on a Rock

Great Scotts is a college bar in Alston. Small bar, small stage. Not much to write home about. I'm actually surprised they would play this room, but hey, at least they'll be in town!
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I feel that Davis often books rooms too small. I know they don't draw well outside of the big cities and on weekdays but Thursday in Boston should be pretty solid.
Big Bob
From the Gecko

oh man i hope i can go
mwred
Lion on a Rock

Venue website for the Allston show reports that Jim Hobbs is on the bill too...
Phrazz

Nice!

Looks like a fun time...and should start late so I can see SMMD right after I get off the boat. :)

-Phrazz
stephen
Lion on a Rock

So nobody has the setlist for the smokin' hot show they did in Alston? That was a great night of music. They played for two and a half hours straight. There were about four ocassions where the jams verged into old school Slip teritory....just a blast and you could tell the boys were having fun too :D
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I would LOVE to see some show reports but it seems the East coast is mostly silent? I know a few of you were supposed to be there... Were tapes made?
etahn
From the Gecko

I failed. Talked to Brad though, and he said it was hot. how's that for a report?
The world really is magic
Phrazz

SMMD was on fire!

I don't have an in-depth review for y'all, but I know some peeps who are better at these things and I will try to coerce them into writing some kind of review. I do have some photos (party cam, not HQ, but fun pix big-time) which allude to the groovin' vibe. Lotsa old skoolers came out for this one, including Tasoula, Heather, Booty and Lara, Chloe, Jimmy Trapella, Uday (back from Left Coast), Torrey, Phatty Matty and Black Peter (so half of the Creekside Security Detail was there). In spite of the torrential downpour, it was a good showing (but coulda been more packed, you slackers!). Kinda strange to be in Great Scott's again (after so many years), but after a beer or two it felt just like home. We even got a surprise visit from Mr. Sammy Leonard, who packed up Lettuce (from the boat cruise) in record time (had to put away tons of gear...such a big band to break down so fast is no easy feat). I was very psyched to get some quality time with old friends. The whole weekend was stupendous and part of the reason noone's talking much (yet) is because many of us went straight to the Up North Festival (which is absolutely primo...best northeast festival, IMO) at 7 AM so not enough free time to get the words and photos out to your eager eyes.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Good to hear some reports trickle in! Surprise Me was just tearing it up on the West coast so needless to say my anticipation of these shows was pretty high... Sucks though that it seems that none of them seemed to have gotten recorded....
mwred
Lion on a Rock

Definitely enjoyed the Great Scott show -- high energy, good mix of song and jam. Having openers Jim Hobbs and Django Carranza sit in definitely seemed to work at times -- there was some great Brad/Jim interplay; did anyone else catch Brad playing back some of Jim's skronky lines almost note for note, his guitar taking on an oddly sax-like tone? -- but I have to say the horn was really distracting when it tried to back up vocals, which happened a lot there for a while. But glad I made it out and even stayed til very near the end -- a late night when there's a toddler in the house, but well worth it. I'm sure it's been asked, but any tapes out there?