brad barr playing 2 shows this weekend

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Blane_Montreal
Tenfold

brad barr playing 2 shows this weekend

Brad will be opening for Patrick Watson at two shows this weekend in Montreal. Both are at the Corona Theatre.

FYI
discofrank
Mudslide

I was at that show last saturday. In fact, it was a benefit concert called Baie Déception put together by Simon Angell (who is Brad's roomate and guitarist for Patrick Watson) for an audiobook by Julie Hétu on the cultural genocide brought on the Inuit people in Nunavik in the '70's. A bunch of great artists performed that night including the Barr Brothers. What a great night of music it was!!

First off, the show started with Andrew plus the Patrick Watson band performing to images of Flaherty's Nanook of the North movie from 1921. It was really cinematic music and a perfect soundtrack to the images. Andrew fits in really well in Patrick Watson's band. Check them out on youtube, it's beautiful music. Then they closed the projector and they performed new songs from Patrick Watson. Andrew continued drumming so it freed the other drummer to go on the balafon and other toys to create a great sonic picture...

After their set, Brad came on with Julie McLemens who's a Quebec actress and they performed a song with words from Julie Hétu and music from Brad. The song was bilingual and really sweet. Next, Brad played a song solo on the acoustic but he looped a couple of sounds before with toys and an answering message so it created a nice foundation for him to build on. His voice really resonated through and i'm sure he made a lot of new fans that night...

Super Little came on after and they played a great set. I remember Sarah Through the wall, Ooh Belle, a great Happy Snails with some balafon and Suffocation Keep. Then, some other artists came on and Andrew came back out to accompany Lhasa DeSela, a great Montreal singer, during her set. At the end of the evening, a big jam broke out and everybody came out to play...

The show took place in a beautiful theater in Montreal, i think it's the oldest and really a nice place to see music. The thing i liked the best about it was the cabaret atmoshere and that everybody was really quiet and paying attention to the music happening on the stage. It was a world away from the Slip's shows i've been to with the drunks yelling and talking and stumbling on Brad's mic while the band was playing the most daring and intricate music my ears have been lucky to hear.

Seeing them in that setting though made me miss The Slip a lot. I was reminded of past shows and experiences i had with the band that are so dear to my heart. I'm so glad that Brad and Andrew are still playing music that i can enjoy and that they are getting recognition for it.

Sorry for the long rant, i hope it (along with Blane's great recording) gives you an idea of what the Barr Brothers are up to these days while living in our great frozen city of Montreal...

Take care!
lumpy
From the Gecko

Thanks for the review! Sounds like a really good night out on the town...