SMMD roll call!

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

SMMD roll call!

alrighty,
who's going?

john and i are coming down for all... so excited!

:D
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

January & I as well, all 3! (and most likely the Yankee as well, as long as there's one of us standing... by that point :) )
lumpy
From the Gecko

definitely at the independent and yankee; unsure about santa cruz. I did see that the SC shows are now being called a "co-bill" - so does that mean around 2 hours to each group? What's going on in santa cruz aside from these shows?
torph
Alsoa

i'm in for all:-) see you cats there.....
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

well let me just say that the past two nights have been incredible... some of the best i've ever seen from the guys.

more later... :D
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

And yet another great set tonight!! The crowd was strong for Mr. Davis, I heard many remark that they would have preferred that they headline but regardless quite a nice set! Last One Ever to close, I want to get to heaven opener... Ezra rocked the kit, as good as you could hope w/o droo! Also a little brad/nathan set at the homeless farm right before sunset, just about 20 folks there. Setlist included Ooh Belle, Let There Be Horses, Before You Were Born, You are My sunshine and a quite valiant attempt at Here Comes the Sun!

On to the Yankee!!!! Mr Davis has made his presence felt! (Though I still had wanted to hear 9 to 5, paper boy and others...)
chloe
Lion on a Rock

:D
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Wonderful show tonight. Brad and Nathan with their hollowbodies, troubadour style! A couple sit-ins w/Apollo Sunshine guys and Ezra but just lots of Brad & Nathan tunes, including Before you were born (mixed style - nathan's original version mixed in w/brad's interpretation) Ooh Belle, Yeah Yeahy, Real World, Deacon's Son, You Don't Have To Say You're Sorry 'till you go, Sarah Through The Window and lots of other tasty stuff that these frazzled brain cells aren't recalling at the moment! Brad and Nathan were pretty spent, but so were all of us who had done the run but the music was transcendent! Some hilarious off the wall banter too, including Nathan having everyone raise their hands who had ever been arrested... after many hands up Brad then commented "Good to know your audience!" Very sweet mellow Sunday come down to a fantastic weekend! Good to see the all the sliplivers in the house!
KLUE
Get Me with Fuji

harrymcq wrote: including Before you were born (mixed style - nathan's original version mixed in w/brad's interpretation)
Nathan and Brad co-wrote Before you were born
Keep Lookin' Up for Ever
etahn
From the Gecko

Before You Was Born is on Nathan's 'Single Wide' album, released in 1999.

But I thought these guys didn't meet until later than that. Nathan's merch tour was 2002. Bueller?
The world really is magic
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I think they had met at HSMF at some point in the 90's. From what I remember they hit it off and stayed in touch crossing paths from time to time. NYE 2000/2001 at the Sommerville Theater had thamusemeant on the bill. The story I recall is that Nathan would send Brad lyrics for tunes he had never heard performed or recorded. Brad would write music as he saw fit. Before You Were Born was an early example of one of these collaborations. Nathan's origional version is certainly different and I am guessing these two version were mixed for this performance. "Before You Was Born" meets "Before You Were Born"
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Yep, it is Nathan's slow, sad sounding Before You Was Born (but lately he's been singing 'were' more often it seems) switching off sections with Brad's more upbeat fingerpicking version. They also did talk about it being the first song they wrote together at the Homeless Farm gig the afternoon before in Santa Cruz so there evidently was some collaboration involved.