Northsix 12/31

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Northsix 12/31

Children Of December
Airplane/Primitive
I Wanna Get To Heaven Before I Die >
"Hear Me Out" > *
Auld Lang Syne >
Eube (2nd section) >
Weight Of Solomon
Wine And White Soda
Even Rats
I Hate Love
Dear Milena

All I Saw Was You
Soft Machine
Changes (David Bowie)
Paper Birds
Wolof #
Stealing Bread From a Crow
It's A Long Way To The Top > (AC/DC)
Poorboy >
It's A Long Way To The Top
Let There Be Horses
encore:
What's So Funny About Peace, Love, and Understanding (Elvis Costello)

* with all of members of Meowskers
# w/ Dana Janssen on drums (Akron/Family)
Last edited by Cleantone on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gabe
Lion on a Rock

i wasn't there, was it a good time? a long way to the top > poorboy must've been sick.

edit: i don't mean to imply that my attendance is required for it to be a good time.
MATT
Get Me with Fuji

of course I had to miss Dear Milena and Eube...but with that said, I did get to see 12/31/04!

clinton did you tape it?
JEFFfromNC

WoW that looks tasty. Thanks Tone.
“We search for acceptance, yet we give not freely...”
"There is a lot more to people, then you might give them credit for."
Addictions: I spent many years unknowingly acquiring them, now I spend every minute trying to fight them.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Cleantone was taping multi-track for the band though he was nice enough to help me clamp my mic to his stand so you can download my audience from bt.etree.org (see link in taping and trading) or if you don't have bittorrent capability drop me an email and I'll do an open B&P.

Amazing show, high energy, great crowd (especially later in the evening!) Northsix was a cool club, in the middle of nowhere in brooklyn. Towards the end brad was held up by the crowd and was playing on his back. Eube (or neube?) was great, it was w/o the first section as noted. I can't think of the last time I heard them do Dear Milena and that was quite tasty. The band was really fired up! Brad broke a couple of strings during the opening CoD because he was playing so intensely but he kept retuning until they finished the song. Let there Be Horses (I think) had an incredible solo by Marc on the strat.

Worth the trip from cali for sure though we also did get to spend a few days in NYC, hanging with friends and seeing stuff as well as taking the Amtrak up to Providence for the 12/29 show.
lumpy
From the Gecko

I'm so glad New years was a great time for you and January! I'm listening to your recording now and it sounds great (both the show and the recording).

I hit up My Morning Jacket on the 30th (scored a ticket for face out front), and it was a great show. Their lights are so dramatic, and fitting with the music - having such a great time on stage....but I would have been thrilled to be at the Slip. NYE found Roxy and I with cheap tickets to see the Sea of Dreams (String Cheese, DJ's, Zap Mama, freaks-galore)....quite a fricking event - but the music didn't really get me going.

The setup was trippy as all hell, but the music just didn't do it for me. It was a crazy mixture of SF hippies, Folsom Street Fair goers (the for real S&M crowd), and spun-out folks. Needless to say, there was quite a bit of humor in the evening. The balloon drop spectacle was great, but the music left much to be desired.

Roxy enjoying New Years! The front of this guys thong was literally a tube for his "pipe," and that is all.
rhythmicstorm
Get Me with Fuji

come on come on! out with the reviews and anecdotes my friends!

phrazz? anyone?
You that love lovers, this is your home. Welcome!
tyler
From the Gecko

Dana is Dana Janssen of the band Akron/Family, apparently.

Awesome.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Yeah, last year January and I went by Sea of Dreams after the Phil show. SCI had finished playing but we went around and checked out the art which was very cool. The scene is very much as lumpy described, kind of like an indoor Burning Man mixed with a cheese show. I've been to Burning Man twice and though it is amazing fun and has some of the best art (and people!) in the world it can be a bit overwhelming sometimes. (the guy behind Roxy wouldn't be wearing a thong for instance :) )

It was interesting for me because I used to be really into SCI around 1998-2001 and most of my friends including many of my best friends were at the Sea of Dreams this year. Other than my girlfriend (now fiancee!, I asked her after Wine and White Soda) and our friend Evan from NY, I literally didn't know anybody at NorthSix except for cleantone and John Frattalone who I had just met in Providence. I'll have to meet more of the rest of y'all in the future.

All the same I had no doubt in my mind that we were in the right place, seeing our favorite band. The Slip delivered big time with this show, one of my favorite Slip shows so far! It also helps that they played Eube (even without the first part) because that was the one song I had REALLY wanted to hear. It really was a nice mix of new and old material with top-notch playing by the band and a great crowd. I can't wait for the next shows, I have my fingers crossed for High Sierra and another California run sometime in the spring/summer.
Last edited by harrymcq on Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
Poor Boy

I was at both Lupos and NYE, and the show at North Six blew 12/29 out of the water. Highlights were the Wolof, Dear Milena, and the jam in What's so Funny when Brad leapt into the crowd and continued to play. The NYE show had much more energy.

As a fan who hadn't seen a show since 2005 before last week, I have some mixed feelings about the direction the band has taken. I think BAM still writes fantastic songs (some of the new stuff is incredible), but some more variation in the setlists would be wonderful. It seems like they play the same 4-5 songs at every show, whereas when they were promoting Angels they only had 2 or 3 that they repeated nearly every night. Can anyone else back me up on this? Anyway, I came away from the Lupos show a little disappointed, but New Year's confirmed for me that this band can still really cook. I can't wait to see them in 2007.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I forgot to say Changes was AMAZING. Had they ever done that before?
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

Well right now the album is what is being pushed remember. Prospective fans are going to attend a show and if they end up getting one or two songs they know and a whole bunch they don't it wont appeal so much to them as playing the core of the album. These are also one show a tour fans too for the most part.

We have been spoiled for sure throughout the years but isn't time that they try to strive for more success. I know I've always wanted them to have the stardom and the auteur status so i know that means loads more new fans. I am ok with that and I know that it is a tactic to some degree but they also love those songs. What I would like to see is longer shows though. I would pay more money for a longer show for sure.

what everrrrr

-dan
drewry
Cumulus

is john frattalone involved with slip management? i was pretty drunk but i remember the guys name being john when someone introduced me to him during the show. maybe it was you harry? i met a guy and his girlfriend in line to the bathroom downstairs and thats who it was...
you know our love will not fade away
Phrazz

Slip Manager

drewry wrote:is john frattalone involved with slip management? ...
Yes, John is The Slip's most recently appointed Manager.
The official answer is found at: TheSlip.com: The Story

Bonus Points: who were all the previous Slip Managers? :twisted:

<hr>I guess since SlipLiveis so cool, people don't frequent TheSlip.com as much these days. 8)
putty
From the Gecko

so no other thoughts on the NYE show?

weak review efforts people.