The Slip 12.08.06 Pepper Jack's cafe, Hamilton, ON

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

appleofmyeye
Alsoa

The Slip 12.08.06 Pepper Jack's cafe, Hamilton, ON

(taken from theslip.jambands.ca)

The Slip - 12/08/2006
Pepper Jack's Cafe, Hamilton, ON

First Panda In Space
Soft Machine
Even Rats
Chasing Rabbits
Airplane Primitive
Sleepy Head
Cupid*
Get Me With Fuji
I Hate Love
? **
Cut From The Cloth
Suffocation Keep
Poor Boy >
It's A Long Way to The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N" Roll)*** >
Poor Boy
Encore:
Let There Be Horses
Children of December

* Sam Cooke cover, with female singer from Kill the Lights
** lyric about Bobby De Niro
*** AC/DC cover

Day-am!!!! Pow pow! This here is one of the best setlist I've ever laid mine eyes on ;} I'm soooo happy to see 'Chasing Rabbits' and 'Cut from the Cloth' coming back into rotation. Those two songs are DEFINITE gems indeed!
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

Re: The Slip 12.08.06 Pepper Jack's cafe, Hamilton, ON

appleofmyeye wrote:I'm soooo happy to see 'Chasing Rabbits' and 'Cut from the Cloth' coming back into rotation. Those two songs are DEFINITE gems indeed!
Agreed.

I'm also happy to see Sleepyhead and I Hate Love finding a regular place in the rotation. I just can't get enough of that magical Nathan/Slip connection.

Now if they'd just slip (heh) Ambrosia Drunk back in there...

hoby
sm
Beantown Rocker

chasing rabbits had a much darker/louder section in the middle than i remember (s'been a while), and cut from the cloth also seemed a lot darker, too... and its already kinda dark. great to hear both of them.

but...... this: poorboy > long way to the top > poorboy was THE highlight of the night... it was just sooooooooooooo disgustingly slick. absolutely smooth.
Luke
Yaki Soba

I have to agree. Not a big Poor Boy fan at all, hate it really but that AC/DC bit in the middle which was obviously so self-referential it hurt.

The groove during and coming out of I Hate Love was pure R&B silkiness.
Luke
Yaki Soba

I presume that's my buddy Pete's recording. I too find it odd that you can be listening to a live recording from some small town Ontario show wherever you want in the world. I've often found when they're playing these small out of the way places they often blow up large.

How do you like the I Hate Love- I just love the groove and sway to it.
soraparuq
Mudslide

WOW! "stealin bread from a crook?"

this show is wonderful.

cut from the cloth is siiiiiiiiick. can anyone tell me more about this song??
LOVE this song. gorgeous.
also, about 5 min into PoorBoy, Brad pulls out some super original stops on the slide...damn!
not to mention the Ac/Dc cover (preceded by a pretty funny litany of their misadventures like food poisoning, and including "Omaha"...that made me laugh :)...i didn't realize a guitar was stolen though--that royally sucks), and the cool, unique intro to Children of Dec....actually Andrew switches up/doubletimes the beat throughout the whole thing.
man, could you EVER tell they were glad to be gettin back home---and, sheesh, after a double cris-cross the country r-trip, i can see why!

so, not much said about the Neil Young reminescent melody in the new song Brad tentatively called "Stealing bread from a crook?" when asked by someone in audience, but said we're not sure yet
....i swear in SF, i started freakin out thinkin they were launching into "Unknown Legend," (the opener of Harvest Moon). people musta thought i was nuts. then, I thought i was nuts : wink: b/c it's EXACTLY the same riff.
i mean, i love both songs, but that chord progression is straight outta Unknown Legend.
somebody else hears this, right?
"there's a lie i keep tellin myself, every night...
i don't like gettin caught w/o a raincoat on....
i wanna walk thru the valley of heroes ....
i wanna talk to bobby deniro
stealin bread from a crook??
fight the tendency to say gnite, see ya tomorrow
when u were young, ....the demons....
i wanna walk thru the valley of heroes
i wanna talk to bobby deniro
i wanna stop" ???

this song is still the unknown ?
alright---somebody's new year's mission is to get more info on this song & report back.

this is an excellent show---too bad there were tons of chatty cathy's on that tape...i just don't GET how people can talk THAT much during a show of epic music. and Man o man, are they LOUD in Hamilton.
Dana
macfly
Get Me with Fuji

Re: WOW! "stealin bread from a crook?"

soraparuq wrote: and including "Omaha"...that made me laugh :)
Ouch. :(

well, i had a good time...
Last edited by macfly on Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

Re: WOW! "stealin bread from a crook?"

soraparuq wrote:so, not much said about the Neil Young reminescent melody in the new song Brad tentatively called "Stealing bread from a crook?" when asked by someone in audience, but said we're not sure yet
....i swear in SF, i started freakin out thinkin they were launching into "Unknown Legend," (the opener of Harvest Moon). people musta thought i was nuts. then, I thought i was nuts : wink: b/c it's EXACTLY the same riff.
i mean, i love both songs, but that chord progression is straight outta Unknown Legend.
somebody else hears this, right?
ABSOLUTELY!! I heard it as well and have been meaning to post about it for days.

this is an excellent show---too bad there were tons of chatty cathy's on that tape...i just don't GET how people can talk THAT much during a show of epic music. and Man o man, are they LOUD in Hamilton.

This just kills me. I won't say more beacuse I don't want too get worked up, but it just kills me.

h
sm
Beantown Rocker

one thing to note about Pepperjacks is that is has pretty low ceilings, and is a pretty tight space for recording - i dont have any recordings of any show from that venue that doesnt have an element of chattiness to it. that said, im not entirely defending the crowd there, either - its typically a very social setting for a show, especially when a band like the slip come to town, it's pretty central for a lot of people to travel to from around southwestern ontario, and to be perfectly honest, the scene is pretty tightnit around those parts - ie: A LOT of old friends reconnecting face to face.

re: the "unknown legend" riff - i didnt pick up on it right away, but a friend said to me after the hamilton show that he thought it sounded like a neil tune... and i think brad says "stealing bread from a crow", not crook, but still, dont quote him on that. haha. you're right, though, it's definitely familiar sounding... i hope they keep this tune in the mix, though, i think it can become quite a monster for them - i thought marc's strat playing was pretty awesome on that tune both nights... i remember when paper birds came around and there was the section that was very BSS-esque - i see a similarity here in that i think the more they work with this tune they'll find a way to make it their own, and who knows, in about 8 months maybe we wont even recognize the neilery in it.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

new source for this show.. here's the details...

http://sliplive.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?p=14388#14388
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I've been calling the "Stealing Bread from a Crook (Crow?)" song "There's A Lie" on setlists though I don't know what they want it called...