electric factory 12/1

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tim
The Weight of Solomon

electric factory 12/1

first panda in space>soft machine, even rats, the shouters, airplane/primitive, let there be horses, children of december.

very solid set, per usual. the duo rocked the house and MMJ blew the roof off the mutha(as is expected). everyone have fun and throw down hard in boston tonight!!!
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

Thanks for the link, Cleantone.

I'll admit to knowing nothing about MMJ, but this review definitely picqued my interest. I went and checked out their website and watched the teaser for their DVD and a "making of" mini-doc about "Z."

How would folks suggest I introduce myself to their music? The snippets of Z I heard in the video sounded interesting.

Thanks for any advice,

hoby
mjm
Yaki Soba

I would try to see them live. That's what really sold it for me. I had listened to Z a few times (my wife loved it) and then I saw them open for SMMD at Hight Sierra.

Maybe you should get the new live cd.
"It’s not like rock and roll was invented by the people who play it right. Rock and roll was invented by lunatics. It belongs at the end of the day to lunatics. It doesn’t belong to people to prove their muscularity." - <i>Marc Ribot</i>
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

mjm, you saw SMMD open for them!

hoby, go buy their live album and dvd okonokos. if you buy it from an independent music store, ask about a bonus dvd with a handful of acoustic stuff left off the dvd. it should be bundled with the dvd for free but was limited.

the show was a 2 day run at the fillmore and its a good snapshot of their current setlist trends. after you buy that, check out z, then work backwards.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

the mmj set was very good friday, probably the best of the week. the crowd up front was very into it and mmj was feeding off it and rockin hard. some highlights for me were at dawn, the way that he sings, golden, and dondante.

the e factory is a strange place and i heard snakes in the parking lot before and after the show.

keep it greezy philly.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I haven't been to the factory in a while, livin' in cali and all but I seem to recall the lot is a good place to have your birthday party and get some dental work done :)
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

diesel wrote:hoby, go buy their live album and dvd okonokos. if you buy it from an independent music store, ask about a bonus dvd with a handful of acoustic stuff left off the dvd. it should be bundled with the dvd for free but was limited.

the show was a 2 day run at the fillmore and its a good snapshot of their current setlist trends. after you buy that, check out z, then work backwards.
Thanks, diesel. Looks like I'v egot my homework cut out for me.

hoby
putty
From the Gecko

each of their albums are different, but it all revolves around Jim James. I started with It Still Moves, which is a huge rock album, and when you listen to it for the first time, you're pissed you hadn't heard of these guys since the beginning.

Z is the best. It's the current band lineup. If they can follow it with another album as good as Z, they'll be on the cover of Rolling Stone. To me, this is the band that needs to be popular. Non-music music fans need to hear this band to help them understand why music is important to a society. (i'm being serious)

At Dawn and Tennessee Fire are both amazing, and completely show the country/southern side of the band that you think you hear in the newer stuff.

And Okonokos just shows what they're like live: the best thing goin. too bad you can't see any of these shows with the slip. too bad i can't also.
mjm
Yaki Soba

diesel wrote:mjm, you saw SMMD open for them!
ya....that is true....serves me right for trying to post while on vacation in Amsterdam. :oops:
"It’s not like rock and roll was invented by the people who play it right. Rock and roll was invented by lunatics. It belongs at the end of the day to lunatics. It doesn’t belong to people to prove their muscularity." - <i>Marc Ribot</i>
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

mjm wrote:
ya....that is true....serves me right for trying to post while on vacation in Amsterdam. :oops:
whoa thats awesome, how is it over there?
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Luke
Yaki Soba

I take it snakes in the parking lot is N20?
mjm
Yaki Soba

diesel wrote:
mjm wrote:
whoa thats awesome, how is it over there?
Amsterdam was great...just there for the weekend (one of the benefits of living in London). Good food, great...um...plants, and ironically, people who speak better English than in London (been here for about 18 months now and still can't understand half of what people say). Can't wait for Jam In The Dam.