11/30 Roseland Ballroom - MMJ w/ The Slip

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

SamNo.2

11/30 Roseland Ballroom - MMJ w/ The Slip

The show was sold out – Roseland capacity is 3000 – and scalped tickets were going for $80 outside – face was $30. Tons of bunk tickets floating around. In general a very difficult ticket to get.

I missed much of the first set, but did catch an awesome Airplane/Primitive and Soft Machine. There was another rock tune I didn't know, and Brad sang a mellow acoustic number toward the end.

Roseland is a big venue, and I was impressed by how many MMJ fans came to check out BAM. By and large, an attentive crowd of maybe 400-500 people, a conservative estimate, warmly received the Slip.

For the record, the Slip had no problem conjuring up a sound big enough for Roseland, a fairly cavernous ballroom with occasionally dicey sound. Airplane/Primitive sounded very big. The sound was dialed by and large.

But the crowd’s warm reception of the Slip was really no match for the house's response to MMJ’s arrival to the stage at about 8:30 – by this time the room was full with at least 2500 MMJ fanatics. There definitely were some younger people there, but the crowd struck me as older than the crowd at Slip shows. These guys have some various serious, pumped up fans. And for good reason - they're a very good rock band and I look forward to seeing them again.

Describing Jim James as "charismatic" might by the understatement of the year. This man is a freak - and it's great. To be honest, he kind of scares me. I get the feeling that if I pissed him off, he might bash an acoustic guitar over my head. I'll admit it, Diesel, this guy is into it, so I respectfully update my opinion of him, and his musical taste and meekly acknowledge that he knows what he is talking about.

They have got well-written songs - and an awesome live sound that basically revolves around their masterly use of reverb. People throw around bands like U2, Radiohead and Coldplay, but I think that's kind of silly. Anybody seriously trying to put together a rock band these days would if nothing else have been influenced by those bands, or at least the first two, anyway.

But whatever. MMJ is from Louisville, Kentucky, and you can hear the Southern classic rock throughout the music. I’m sure Jim James knows every word to every Allman Brothers Band song ever written. But it’s stripped down rock, and not as bluesy as ABB. At times it almost approaches into mythical realm of ZZ Top. Good stuff. Definitely a fun band – headed for the big-time, arenas sure to follow.

The Slip are very lucky to have the opportunity to open for these guys.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

i take it this was your first show and now youre converted; heres your members only jacket 8) .

i dont know who to compare these guys to. i really think its like if zep grew up in the south and robert plant didnt get kicked in the nuts and had a shit load more reverb learned from neil young. i guess?

they're awesome.period. :twisted:
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH