pearl street

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

pearl street

12-28
anyone going?

anyone got further word on the opener?

i can only pray i don't have to listen to platypus complex's whack rhymes again...
i can tolerate tarantula a.d. maybe one more time.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

becareful on what you say about opener bands. some suck but they maybe fans of the slip and wanted to open for them.....

ouch
Colin

troo words
ScS
From the Gecko

Dan wrote:becareful on what you say about opener bands.
i guess so...but then again, i like to listen to the first old man on simon and garfunkel's "voices of old people"

"i give honesty without regret..."

if they suck, they suck...dont beat around the bush.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Well, bands might be friends but that doesn't eliminate subjective musical taste. For example BAM might like The Lovely Feathers and be friends with them but I couldn't stand their music, I actually had to leave the Independent. I sure hope they don't open for NYE!
lumpy
From the Gecko

What's the matter Harry, the gold lamé pants on one, and the short shorts on the other didn't do it for you? I'm shocked :shock:
headnugg
Invocation

Dan wrote:becareful on what you say about opener bands. some suck but they maybe fans of the slip and wanted to open for them.....

ouch
never hold it in.....
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Well... the outfits weren't THAT bad, it was the music that bugged me out! :shock: :lol:
putty
From the Gecko

if a you think a band sucks, no one can change your mind on that. repeated listenings may do it.

it's an interesting thought though. how much good does it do for a band to open up for a bigger band? i saw Wax Fang open up for MMJ in Atlanta recently, and didn't like it at all. But I also didn't give them much of a chance. I was more interested in talking to my friends I hadn't seen in a while before the show I came to see (MMJ) started. I suppose the slip can garner some attention and extra fans from this run of shows with MMJ, but I can't imagine it helping too much. people typically aren't willing to give a band a chance that they haven't ever heard before. for a lot of people, it's hard to enjoy something you've never heard before.

In Athens it happens to me all the time. So many bands roll through here who have a decent sized fan base (comparable to the slip), but I sometimes choose not to check it out because I don't want to have to sit through a show when I have no frame of reference.
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

I gotta say it's been either hit or miss (and nothing in between) with bands opening for the Slip with me. I've seen some that I really dug like Kaki King, Leslie Helpert, Apollo Sunshine, Bennevento/Russo and then some ones that made me want to pull my fingernails off like Concentrix, Mr Meowskers, and others that I try so hard to forget about. I can relate to Harry just wanting to leave the room because they are so bad. Thanks for the insight on the Feathers, I will probably be causually late to the Higher Ground!

Personally, I wish they'd drop the openers and stick to a two set format. When I travel to see them I am only concerned with seeing them. Sounds narrow minded but I would rather get my fill of the Slip than hear another "an aquired taste" band as opener.
Colin

the slip gotta try what sound tribe does, who had j5 open some shows for them. have a bigger band open for you instead. bring in the hardcore opener fans who may get hooked on your stuff if its got a similar feel to it.
hoby

Well, I discovered the Slip as an "opening" band back in '99.

Went to see Los Lobos at Berkfest on Friday night and got there early enough to have my mind blown by BAM on a beautiful afternoon. Walked over to the merch tent, pointed to the stage, and said, "I want more of THAT." They handed me Gecko, I handed them money, and my life was changed.

So, while I agree that I'd just as soon see an entire evening of nothing but Slip, I try to keep in mind that you just never know what you might find if you're open to new experience.

(Heh, I'm just remembering that I was convinced to get there early enough to see BAM by the text on their website that referred to the Dead and Steely Dan as influences. Talk about barely scratching the surface as a description...)

hoby
Colin

the dead! seems like they dont want to even be in the same sentence as the grateful dead now
hoby

Colin wrote:the dead! seems like they dont want to even be in the same sentence as the grateful dead now
It's easy to see why since in the shorthand language that makes up today's bullshit music criticism and popluar compartmentalization, having the Dead hung on you can be the kiss of death in many circles.

But I think that in a real conversation with them about the art and practice of music, you'd find an appreciation for what the Dead did and were always trying to do.

But don't get me started or we'll be here all night... :lol:

hoby
drewry
Cumulus

remember the feature jambands.com did last year where they asked different guitar players what songs they would wanna play if they replaced jerry in the dead for a tune?

Brad Barr (The Slip):
"New Speedway Boogie," cause it's a badass song; or "Stella Blue," because it makes my throat tingle.

i like that answer a lot.
you know our love will not fade away