favorite recorded shows

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

halloween 04 at pearl street. (my first show)
the duo opened the show with zeppelin tunes
marco played the encore tears for fears cover "everybody whats to rule the world" with the slip
sm
Beantown Rocker

Come Together Festival - Frontier Ghost Town: Durham, ONT (CAN)
Set I: Planet of Inexperience* > Wolof*, Dear Melina, Aptos, Johnny's Tune, Back in Fifteen Minutes, Soft Machine, The Woods, Children of December^, intro > song of the world, Imagine > Blue Moon> Sleepwalker&, Before You Were Born
Encore: Jumby, If One of Us Should Fall

Tyrone Farm - The Ice Cream Truck: Pomfret, CT
Set I: Boubacar Giabate (master Kora player/singer from Senegal) with Brad & Andrew play set of West African music.
Set II: Eube!, Mudslide, Back in 15 Minutes, My Landlord >Fear of Falling, beautiful intro > Soft Machine, Sweet Thing+, Come Over, Proud@, Spice Groove > The Shouters#, More about Me%, Dogs on Bikes
Encore: Children of December > With or Without You^

Hamilton Pepper Jack's: Hamilton, ON
Set I: Intro> Tonight We Leave Chicago, Wolof, Fear of Falling, Predicting the Rain, Poor Boy*, Driving Backwards with You
Set II: Moonlight Mile$, Get Me with Fuji, Children of December#, Spice Groove, intro/banter> Suffocation Keep

Winston's (Ocean Beach): San Diego, CA
Set I: Rise and Shine (Sleepy Head), "When a Woman"*, Sisyphus, The Shouters, Everything Must Go, Red Sky, I Hate Love, I Want to Get to Heaven Before I Die
Set II: Summer of My Fall, Wine and White Soda, Back in 15 Minutes, All I Saw Was You> Instrumental^, Unprotected Sex Song, "Cup Trick", Fat King of Gods, Rubber Ball, As Long as There's One of Us Standing, Understand Under, The Real World
Encore: Rolling Home, Poor Boy, 19th Nervous Breakdown#
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

fav recorded shows

i love the quailty of sound and the musicianship of course on 2-15-98, the WERS show... that julia's kitchen sounds like they were being influenced by a higher power. love that one.

im surprised 6-27-00 hasnt got a mention yet... great quality and hgue setlist, not to mention the crowd in that one is so quiet yet enthusiastic, would have loved to be there.

5-1-03 at URI was pretty sweet. there werent too many people there, and I don't know if the recording quality is like really good or what, but the way it sounds gives the show such a cool kind of sound... i know its not real crisp recording but it more accuratley represents what its like to see the slip... for me anyway.

2-25-00 is possibly the most on fire the slip has ever been recorded. especially the you might say, when brat is singing/scating over his solo... and then it leads into that cool jam they only play once in awhile during spice groove/YMS. also catacea in the begining is done better than the album in my opinion.

another show that comes to mind is 3-27-03.. the first time played at the narrows. i think at the time there was a rumor that it would be remixed and be a double disc release. The two acoustic openers are so good... the recording quality again has a tinge of static and it istn too crisp.. which for some reason is the way i love it. that was an awsome night too, great setlist, and tenfold -- ah, tenfold.

theres a few others, and i think someone mentioned a one-disc-er from around 00 and i think i know that one, and it is great, i agree. haha.

i have to throw in a shout out to a lost gem, one who's recording may never surface... but will live on eternally as my favorite slip show ever, 10-10-04 at buttonwood in middletown, CT. it was the absolute perfect blend of old and new, opening with song and reddish moon, and spanning time to munf, trane-ing, even rats, river sang to buddah, and closing with rhythm and gold.. not a complete setlist but you get the idea. less than or around 100 people, who were sitting for alot of the show for space reasons. that place was seriously like the size of some of the stages theyve played on in the past... what a night that was. ah, memories.

-john
John from CT / wheaton college, MA