UK Shows?

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

joebfiss
Tenfold

Hey all, good day to all of ya's! Thanks for the welcome Tim and Phrazz (and everyone else that has welcomed me!) It looks like Alivelectric shall be my next purchase, I just got 'Angels Come On Time' today, that seems like an alright album too! And Phrazz I didn't catch any of the Duo Shows that you speak of Sir! But now I am here, i'm sure ya'll will send me in the right direction for anythin that I need to be seeing/listenin too etc in the future! So whats everyone listenin too out there? (apart from the sweet Slip sounds!) I'm lovin the Ray Lamontagne album Trouble for some great acousticness and still vibin off the My Morning Jacket album Z, amongst loadsa other things! Go on peeps, i'm all ears!!!!!

Peace.

Joe.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

joebfiss wrote:So whats everyone listenin too out there? (apart from the sweet Slip sounds!) I'm lovin the Ray Lamontagne album Trouble for some great acousticness and still vibin off the My Morning Jacket album Z, amongst loadsa other things! Go on peeps, i'm all ears!!!!!
you'll find alot of my morning jacket fans here. not sure if you know or not but the slip and their "side project" surprise me mr davis have been playing some gigs with my morning jacket and jim james(of MMJ) has given the slip some very positive press to the slip as of recent.

for bands from your neck of the woods, i know i've been listening to a bunch of shpongle, bloc party, art brut and the bays as of recent. oh yeah, radiohead melted quite a few of our faces during their recent tour.
joebfiss
Tenfold

Yea I thought I saw somethin written up somewhere about MMJ playin with The Slip boys! MMJ are down my way in a few weeks, so I will be checkin them out live fo sure! :P Good old Mr Yorke still rippin it up after all these years eh....never had the privilege of seein them live. Does anyone like Mogwai?
daver
Yaki Soba

Welcome Joe. One of my best friends is living in Brighton these days, I'm going to be around your parts in 2 weeks. I think we're going to go see Kula Shaker at The Old Market on the 18th.
tyler
From the Gecko

joebfiss wrote:Yea I thought I saw somethin written up somewhere about MMJ playin with The Slip boys! MMJ are down my way in a few weeks, so I will be checkin them out live fo sure! :P Good old Mr Yorke still rippin it up after all these years eh....never had the privilege of seein them live. Does anyone like Mogwai?
hell yeah man, Mogwai is incredible.
lumpy
From the Gecko

hey Joe - I have a sweet spot in my heart for the "live is my jumby" release. All instrumental live tracks (5 great ones)....only available as a digital release, it's out of print otherwise.
joebfiss
Tenfold

Hey Daver, I didn't even know Kula Shaker were still rockin it man! Is Crispin (or was it with a K....?) still with them? They were a decent band when they first emerged. (and probably still are!)
Tyler, good to hear you liking the Mogwai dude, now that is just chillout music at its best huh?
And finally, hey Lumpy! Thanks for your recommendation man, I love the instrumental stuff, so will hopefully check this out real soon!
Just a random thought, did anyone ever have the Beastie Boys album Ill communication? Coz that album has some of this sickest instrumentals on it!!!!

Peace.

Joe.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

joebfiss wrote:Just a random thought, did anyone ever have the Beastie Boys album Ill communication? Coz that album has some of this sickest instrumentals on it!!!!
if you haven't already, check out 'the in sound from way out' by the beastie boys. it's all instrumental tracks, including the ones from 'ill communication' but it also has others as well. good background music for a party.
daver
Yaki Soba

joebfiss wrote:Hey Daver, I didn't even know Kula Shaker were still rockin it man! Is Crispin (or was it with a K....?) still with them? They were a decent band when they first emerged. (and probably still are!)
Me either. Apparently they broke up in 99 and just got back together to play some shows this summer. Original line-up, as far as I know.
joebfiss
Tenfold

tim wrote:
joebfiss wrote:Just a random thought, did anyone ever have the Beastie Boys album Ill communication? Coz that album has some of this sickest instrumentals on it!!!!
if you haven't already, check out 'the in sound from way out' by the beastie boys. it's all instrumental tracks, including the ones from 'ill communication' but it also has others as well. good background music for a party.
Oh my lordy, how did I let that one go over my radar?! I must be 'chillin' :wink: way too much!! But Tim it must be said that you have just made my day! I have loved 'those' instrumentals since the album arrived back in the early/mid 90's!! Off to Ebay as I type!
Daver man, I hope u have a pleasant stay when you come over to Brighton dude!

Peace.

Joe.
harryminorhood
Mudslide

you should get alivelectric and aliveacoustic most definetely!
mjm
Yaki Soba

I guess this is as good a time to delurk as any....

Wow, someone else in the UK who's heard of the Slip. How did you hear / get into them? I don't really count though, I moved here from the States about a year ago (from San Fran...and before that Boston).

Anyway...good to see there are fans out here. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before they visit. :)
joebfiss
Tenfold

Hey mjm, I gotta admit I was dreading the question, 'How did you find/get into The Slip?', coz it has to be one of the lamest ways ever, but I wanna come clean to everyone right NOW! Ready? Two words for ya's, Guitar and Hero :cry: Sorry for anyone who may have 'respected' me in any way shape or form!! (lol, not that I have been around here long enough to deserve that!) but I do actually find music other ways than on console games! On the other hand if it wasn't for 'that game', I probably wouldn't be here now and listenin to one of the finest bands around to date! Then there is yet another arguement, what is a 28 year old male doin with a little plastic guitar plugged into a PS2? Haha. I hope ya'll can/will forgive me for my sins!

Peace

Joe.
putty
From the Gecko

haha. that game has blown up. it's too bad The Slip couldn't get the album done before the game came out. It would've boosted sales. I'm sure they'll still get a lot of sales from the game, but it could've been a lot more.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

pretty sure the game was promotional only, they dont get money for it...