7.20.06 Hartford, CT

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

appleofmyeye
Alsoa

7.20.06 Hartford, CT

This is a wonderful setlist...it's great to see Cut from the Cloth, Something Learned, Spice Groove, SWSW, Old George...DAMN! I only wish I was there. I hope it was taped. Thanks John for the setlist and review.

~RL

This is off of Slipbase:

7-20-2006: Webster Theatre - Hartford CT
Set 1: The Shouters-> Even Rats, Something Learned, Cut From the Cloth, Rise and Shine (SLeepy Head), WWS, If One Of us should fall-> Airplane/Primitive
Encore: Old George, Proud-> Soft Warm Simple Wonder, Spice Groove
Notes: Hartford, what a weak showing!! very small amount of people, many of them not in the right mindset. The scene was crime-ridden Hartford, an uneasy walk down a few blocks from a sketchy side street parking job by a cracked telephone pole with overgrown grass. The Webster had on its Marquee "The Slip", "Yellowcard", "Less than Jake", follwed by "LL Cool J". Luckily the Slip brought some light to this barren and bizaree world known as Webster Ave. Between Washington st. and Maple near Trinity College. All in all, a great night ... spice groove to end the night was fantastic and most memorable. The Airplane/Primitive was not in the order that I'm used to, and had some lyrics over the once instrumental measures-- they sounded great! but I do miss how epic the lyrics seemed when they came at the end of a great instrumental. Right when spice groove was about to end, it looked like andrew got up and was ready to leave, but Brad and Marc kept playing a simple groove (a spicy one?) that just begged for some nasty drumming.. and andrew kind of walked back to his set banging on cymbals as he got there, and totally delievered an awsome beat to finish the show off. I think there was a little mini-drum solo lead in to some song, that was pretty cool. WWS had a great jam in the middle, I always underestimate that one, it is really growing on me now. Much of the night seemed to be an effort on the part of the band to get some kind of reaction from the crowd. Cut from the cloth had a jam in the middle that definatley accomplished this feat. Brad sounded on fire with vocals during this one in particular, and the jam was reminiscient of the cut from the cloth hyper-fusion-inidian-feedback jam that erupted at the Narrows Electric Night back in '03. Although a bit forced, Andrew really opened up and it was really cool to see one of his cymbals collapse as it couldn't handle his strokes. Something Learned probably hasn't been played for awhile, and that was kind of cool to hear, but it seemed more an experiement to gauge the crowd. Old George was another one I haven't seen on recent setlists too much... that's alot of lyrics to memorize, jeez. Thankfully, with that open tuned guitar all tuned up and ready to go, Poorboy never reared its head. Marc is so solid. It seemed like everything they played Marc had a grip on it, and had a grip on the brothers as well. MVP: Brad, for keepin the crowd into it on a tough night, nailing all your vocals, and a sick job on spice groove. If one of us should fall included Brad actually falling, slowly, at the end, and then begining the intro chords of Airplane/Prim. while Marc and Andrew got ready.

-John
John Kuckens <jkuckensATgmail.com> - Fri Jul 21 01:17:29 EDT 2006
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Set 1: The Shouters-> Even Rats, Something Learned, Mudslide*, Rise and Shine, Cut From The Cloth, Wine and White Soda, If One Of Us Should Fall-> Airplane/Primitive
Encore: Old George, Proud-> Soft Warm Simple Wonder, Spice Groove
Notes: * The Elvis line was replaced with Syd Barrett who died July 7th.

I wanted to refrain from posting this but I can't. Does anyone on here know that guy who was being extremly obnoxious to everyone? There was seriously a frigging mosh pit for most of the show. It was one wasted dude shoving himself into tons of people. He fell on his ass a half dozen times too. He was really detering from half of the audience experience. Beyond the rediculous flailing he also made the group clapping attempt FAR too much. The first time it was fun but by the 10 to 20th time there was no sense of tempo and he pretty much single handedly ruined SWSW. Brad even had to try to calm the situation during Spice Groove. The guy was on the threshold of fighting people for half of the show. If you know him you should let him know how much of an ass he was at the show. I'm sure he has little recognition. It was cool that he was so into the whole show but he was definitly twice as wasted as he needed to be.
Last edited by Cleantone on Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

welcome new RL :)
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
appleofmyeye
Alsoa

Cleantone-- Thanks for the revision. Too bad dude had to be so obnoxious...I'm sure it must be irritating to have to deal with such antics, especially as a band member or taper. So, I hope the show wasn't ruined tape wise.

Diesel-- Thanks for the welcome...and if you want to think of me as new RL and it helps you sleep better and feel all happy inside; I can be new RL...no problem...lol. It's nice to start over again and I guess with graffiti gone and put to rest; this is the place to do it 8)
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

Hartford

Hey, its John, review writer from above

more thoughts on last nights show....

I chose not to mention that drunk guy, I hope it was just booze and not meth or something, but he totally distracted from much of the performance. I have to admit that the looks Marc was giving him were pretty funny though. What I really wanted to get across in that review was that they seemed frustrated on stage... either from the lack of people or the loudness and inatentiveness of the crowd. Had this show been performed on the empty stages to the side of the main stage in a different hallway (which rubio mentioned was a possibility) this show would have been much different... some shows I've been to from 2002 and early 03 and late 04 started off with an excited but respectfully intrigued crowd that allowed the music to move them as much as they moved it. Buttonwood comes to mind, when we all sat around - so close one could have played with Brad's pedals - and were silent for most of the first few songs. This attention and respect allowed for some pretty amazing creativeness which then led to better and better music, and an atmosphere that wasn't based on getting hammered and thrashing around. The Webster had the potential to be that kind of show, and the Slip could have no doubt brought that on this night. "Even rats" sent that drunk kid into a fury of spinning and falling over. I blame, if I may, alot of the shows drawbacks on the venue, and being a Hartford-ite I am embarassed of the Hartford music scene. You'd think that with U of Hartford school of music, hall high music program in West Htfd., and some other colleges in the area there'd be a place for bands like the Slip. But the boucners at the venue (one of whom was dozing off) really should have subdued that kid. Also, the bar tenders should have cut him off. It wasn't too hard to see that that kind of behavior wasn't appropriate for that kind of music and for this band. Brad's word during spice groove to that kid was "youv'e got that crazy look in your eye... I see it.... deep breaths man, deeeep breaths". As awsome as that was, shouldn't someone else have dealt with that? If you want to defend the workers there and say that they were too busy to yank one kid out, they weren't... there was seriously about 60 people there, 59 of whom were at the front of the stage watching intently, and then it looked like about 15 people at the bar. The setlist is killer, absolutley killer, but it seemed that at times the dissapointment of the band leaked through slightly, which affected how the audience felt towards the music. When the Slip is struggling through a song, you can tell sometimes, and the frustration comes off the stage to the crowd.

They were inspiriing as always when they were doing well. And whenever something like spice groove gets pulled out, man are you in for a treat. Brad seriously had some like.. Steve Vai-ish licks during a few jams, it was really cool. The amazing thing about this though is that the Slip is able to have that effect on the crowd, to want to be a part of the experience rather than having thier own and expecting others to watch and just like it.

My brother and I got some pictures and video clips from a dig. camera, we'll post them up somewhere in a week or two, as were heading to mexico on a cruise tommorow! enjoy summer everyone

-john
John from CT / wheaton college, MA
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

thats sucks dude about that drunk ass. next time, give a heads up to the bartender and bouncers, they usually do something about that sort of thing.

heres some thoughts from jenny:
Jenny wrote:woah I dunno what was goin on las night in Hahtfahd...maybe it was an off nite IMO for our heroes...set was a good length but seemed rushed and not much jammin..seemed like they wanted to get the hell outta there asap..and wonder what happened w Sam he almost never misses a show as long as I've been seein the Slip and he's been on board...maybe it had to do with the fact that there wasn't many folx there

onna personal note I haven't been to a Slip show inna while and didn't recognize any of the new songs but I really super liked the one "Love is lookin for you" also I had to get walked to mah cah cos some freak was all up on me...

don't mean to come off as nancy negativity about las night's show..maybe it was my own personal off nite?! who knows!

can't wait for the new album like so many of Y'all I'm sure...the new songs are really good!

Anyone have the setlist from yday? I swore there was a pink floyd song in
there somewhere...
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
tim
The Weight of Solomon

Cleantone wrote:he also made the group clapping attempt FAR too much. The first time it was fun but by the 10 to 20th time there was no sense of tempo and he pretty much single handedly ruined SWSW.
that fucking blows. i can tolerate dancers bumping into me and i can tune out the talkers, but if there's one thing i really fucking hate, it's that special breed of idiot know as "the clapper". i have no clue what makes people think that clapping out of time(and it's always out of time) makes the song better. the only thing worse than the jackass who starts the clap are the lemmings who follow along for the hell of it. i'm sorry but they all deserve kicks to the nuts and punches to the babymakers.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Spice Groove
woah I dunno what was goin on las night in Hahtfahd...maybe it was an off nite IMO for our heroes...set was a good length but seemed rushed and not much jammin..seemed like they wanted to get the hell outta there asap..and wonder what happened w Sam he almost never misses a show as long as I've been seein the Slip and he's been on board...maybe it had to do with the fact that there wasn't many folx there
Maybe it is because I hadn't seen them in 3 months but I though musically the show was really good. Most everything but the music was pretty lackluster. That venue sounds pretty rough no matter who is running sound. Drew did a great job on his second night out with these guys. Sam must be on the road with one of the various acts he has been working with in the last year plus. What's Charlie Hunter doing right now? Sam is probably there. This was a to night run, you know? Definitly could have been more people but The Webster feels lightly attended with 300-400 people there. The friggin batcave is what it is.
i can tolerate dancers bumping into me and i can tune out the talkers, but if there's one thing i really fucking hate, it's that special breed of idiot know as "the clapper". i have no clue what makes people think that clapping out of time(and it's always out of time) makes the song better. the only thing worse than the jackass who starts the clap are the lemmings who follow along for the hell of it. i'm sorry but they all deserve kicks to the nuts and punches to the babymakers.
Yeah this guy was really pushing it. I definitly talked to the bouncers. First it was to make sure they didn't prematurely kick him out but by the end of the show I was pretty much asking them why they hadn't and aren't kicking him out. He must have been on something or a few things cause he was at the stage for the whole show. You cannot leave the bar area with a drink in the Webster. He was also beyond "bumping". This guy was knocking people over and pissing everyone off. People were shoving him back as hard as they could and he would just go right back to it. He definitly thought he owned the show and in many ways (many bad ways) he did. I wish I had a video camera cause at some points BAM was just watching him be an ass as they tryed to play through it. He also looked like a modern Pauly Shore. :twisted:
stephen
Lion on a Rock

Yeah, the "tweaked" guy was obnoxious as hell, but I wasn't about to let him ruin a perfectly good Slip show for me - I had travelled too far for that. And yeah, the Webster was a pit and I doubt I'll go there again. Designated drinking pens, expensive beer, security everywhere (why?), lousy acoustics, dicy neighborhood, blah, blah, blah. Real good show though, and you can't beat a five-song encore. The highlight for me was the feedback-drenched solo during 'Cut From the Cloth'. I'd love to have the Slip play Tammany Hall in Worcester right down the street - maybe someday.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I'd love to have the Slip play Tammany Hall in Worcester right down the street - maybe someday.
They haven't played there since the 1990's. Really doubt and hope they don't need to revert to that. Though it would be a nice close show for me. Playing The Grind at Clark would be decent I guess.

What you said is true though. For all the negatives of the Webster I though BAM sounded really good.
Jenny
Yaki Soba

aw man I left early and missed SWSW I've never seen a SWSW..and I always love me a spice groove...own fault I guess, but I hadda long drive home..

I've never been to tammany hall and am goin there for blueground undergrass on wednesday...is it small? have a balcony? put it this way, is it good sized pearl street, teeny tiny passim or batcave webster?
If thoughts can do THAT to water, imagine what our thoughts can do to our minds.
stephen
Lion on a Rock

Tammany is teenie-tiny. It's essentially two rooms split by a brick divider. One side has pool tables and NO view of the stage, while the other side has a bar and a small area in front of the stage. Nice, laidback, friendly place though, with a great beer selection. Music usually starts around 10-ish.
tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

Cleantone wrote:Spice Groove
woah I dunno what was goin on las night in Hahtfahd...maybe it was an off nite IMO for our heroes...set was a good length but seemed rushed and not much jammin..seemed like they wanted to get the hell outta there asap..and wonder what happened w Sam he almost never misses a show as long as I've been seein the Slip and he's been on board...maybe it had to do with the fact that there wasn't many folx there
Maybe it is because I hadn't seen them in 3 months but I though musically the show was really good. Most everything but the music was pretty lackluster. That venue sounds pretty rough no matter who is running sound. Drew did a great job on his second night out with these guys. Sam must be on the road with one of the various acts he has been working with in the last year plus. What's Charlie Hunter doing right now? Sam is probably there. This was a to night run, you know? Definitly could have been more people but The Webster feels lightly attended with 300-400 people there. The friggin batcave is what it is.
i can tolerate dancers bumping into me and i can tune out the talkers, but if there's one thing i really fucking hate, it's that special breed of idiot know as "the clapper". i have no clue what makes people think that clapping out of time(and it's always out of time) makes the song better. the only thing worse than the jackass who starts the clap are the lemmings who follow along for the hell of it. i'm sorry but they all deserve kicks to the nuts and punches to the babymakers.
Yeah this guy was really pushing it. I definitly talked to the bouncers. First it was to make sure they didn't prematurely kick him out but by the end of the show I was pretty much asking them why they hadn't and aren't kicking him out. He must have been on something or a few things cause he was at the stage for the whole show. You cannot leave the bar area with a drink in the Webster. He was also beyond "bumping". This guy was knocking people over and pissing everyone off. People were shoving him back as hard as they could and he would just go right back to it. He definitly thought he owned the show and in many ways (many bad ways) he did. I wish I had a video camera cause at some points BAM was just watching him be an ass as they tryed to play through it. He also looked like a modern Pauly Shore. :twisted:
sounds like a case where someone needed to get kicked in the head, kinda crazy with the clapping, which usually sucks anyway. Thanks for the spice groove by the way, is someone yelling for "I saw it again" ?? what the fuck? Very interesting spice groove, upon second listen is there a Warren G tease in there around 8:42? or does it just happen to sound like that one Warren G song?
"One toke? You poor fool! Wait till you see those goddamn bats. "
drewry
Cumulus

i thought i heard a regulate tease from brad at the show but i havent listened to it again yet

is the sendspace link still up? i was hopin to find an mp3 of the spice groove when i signed on today
you know our love will not fade away
tim
The Weight of Solomon

i haven't heard this spice groove but are we sure it's warren g's 'regulate' and not michael mcdonald's 'i keep forgettin' :wink: