bay area slip shows

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

torph
Alsoa

bay area slip shows

alright, i'm gonna cut & paste bear's setlist from slip.com:

bear
Fri Jun 16 2006 @ 4:06 AM
Cafe Du Nord set list

Set 1: Airplane/Primitive*, Cut From the Cloth, Wine and White Soda, Sometimes True to Nothing, I Hate Love, Sorry -> In Life You Were An Ocean

Set 2: Beatbox intro -> Even Rats, The Soft Machine, Rise and Shine (Sleepyhead), Paper Birds, Children of December

E: If One of Us Should Fall, Proud

* I heard they have been doing this lately, They had lyrics throughout the whole song, it was the first time heard it so I thought I would mention it.

----

the show was really solid. they duested off a few classics. haven't heard STTTN in a while.. and Sorry -> In Life You Were An Ocean? good times. onto Utah.
lumpy
From the Gecko

as always seems to be case, I went into the show not knowing what to expect. Certainly I had some thoughts on their song rotation, etc....but you never quite know (with music in general, and with the slip in particular) if that evening's muse is going to fit your tastes, if their setlist will satisfy, and if they will continue to meet and raise the bar that they have always set high in my mind.

Last night's first set was beautiful, and my favorite of the two, but the second set is nothing to turndown. After seeing recent setlists, and becoming accustomed to simply seeing many of the song names over and over, it's such a treat so see them live, and realize that these guys are still willing and able to jump off the cliff with all of these songs. They could be the 3-5 minute concise song, but when the band feels like it they just let loose and ride the song out.

My personal highlights from the show were sometimes true to nothing, that just seemed to float in this euphoric peak for a long time, as well as the sorry > in life you were an ocean.

I'm consistently amazed with the patience these musicians have to let this slow gradual peak, valley, peak, valley occur within their songs (I don't have better words for this, but hopefully your following what I'm trying to say). They dont' have a problem fighting off the groove, playing just around the beat for a while, and then just launching into something booty shaking, bass rumbling, and generally inspirational.

The sound was pretty decent where I was at (middle, about 2/3 back), although the vocals were generally a bit muffled (I kind of always think that though). It was great meeting torph, and bear - hope to be able to chill a bit on saturday, or at high sierra :)

I unfortunately just got word from my boss that I've got to work the farmer's market on saturday morning (ie. 4am farm departure) and I just can't do tonights show, work a 13 hour setting up, selling, and taking down the market, and then go to the saturday night show too....make's me sad, but i'll have to learn to live with it.

All of this being sad, yesterday was a true test of my endurance and desire to listen to bam's music. Delivered the CSA boxes (driving from Davis throughout entire bay area and back) from 5am till 3pm, got home and got cleaned up, ate some food, drove back into the city, went to the show (which lasted until 2), dropped off some friends in the east bay, and then drove back to davis getting back at 4:30. I'm happy I'm alive :shock:, and that show was absolutely worth it.