Dungen @ Pearl Street

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Dungen @ Pearl Street

So last night Dungen came through Northampton. I thought about going but decided to save my money and stay home. I was also tired from partying till dawn after the Apollo Sunshine show the night before. At 8:00 my phone rang and it was a friend offering me his +1. So I went to Noho. I had first heard Dungen actually at a Slip show after-party. Jon Bahr had the new album. I heard a couple on tunes and asked around to find out who it was. Jon told me how they were guys from Sweden and what not. I really liked what I heard on the album. I heard some more of it another night a few weeks ago. So we waltz in during the openers last song. Pretty good shit. It was a band called either Winch or Witch. I guess the drummer for Dinosaur Jr. is in the band. I was checking out the band's gear during change-over. Some good looking stuff. A Rhodes and some vintage amps and guitars. The guitarist has some wicked boutique beefy delay unit. The band finally came on. Granted, I was really tired and not up for a show. I was pretty disappointed with what I was hearing though. I gathered that the singer is the main artist. He writes it all and I think performed a lot of the album too. The drummer was pretty solid. The lead guitarist and bassist were just not impressing me at all. By the end of the night the guitarist redeemed himself just a little. Overall though there were enough flubs and crappy riffs to make me feel a lot better about my own chops. He did however look exactly like Duane Allman circa 1970! I really wish I knew what the lyrics were. I feel like that might have made it a lot easier o get into. The language barrier didn't help. In fact there was even one song that was preceded by the guitarist saying "we'd like to dedicate this song" without naming to whom they wanted to dedicate it to. They played a long set and no encore. By the end of the set I'd say almost half of the crowd had left. So I still like the album but I'm not a big fan of the live act.

Anyone else seen these guys?
tim
The Weight of Solomon

JB turned me on to ta det lugnt as well(good lookin' out man)... amazing album. haven't seen or heard them live but will be checking them out this wednesday. i hope it rocks cause i'm seeing them instead of cat power...will report back afterwards.
torph
Alsoa

these cats fucking brought it to coachella.. by far my favorite set of that entire fest. I love the record, but I have to say I think their live show is really good.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

these cats fucking brought it to coachella.. by far my favorite set of that entire fest. I love the record, but I have to say I think their live show is really good.
I'm glad to hear that. I made the educated guess that the band was having an off night. I figured the dingy Pearl St. clubroom and semi thin audience had a part in the set being a bit lack luster. Maybe I will get to check them out in another setting someday.
torph
Alsoa

Yeah, I would say that if you (of all people) weren't feelin' it, they were off. I've seen them twice and it was a SHOW both times. Did homeboy sweedish bandleader dude doo the whole 'conduct the band with the tambourine' segment?? If you saw them do this you know what I'm talking about.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

damn cleantone, i feel bad for you right now. they must have been really off when you saw them cause they absolutely brought the heat last night. it definitely ranks up there with some of the best club shows i've ever seen. the improv was amazing and pretty much rivaled that of any other band i've seen, epecially when gustav sat down at the keys. they played pretty much most of ta det lungt but i ened up liking the songs i had never heard before better(especially the one where gustav starts on the flute, goes over to the organ then wraps it all up back on the flute). i cant wait to hear more from them in the future, hopefully they'll start touring hear more and you'll have another chance to catch them on a better night. i have a feeling they're really gonna turn some heads this weekend at bonaroo.