photo printer

Photos of shows, people, places and things.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

bouche
Alsoa

photo printer

I'm in the market for a new photo printer. My Epson 875 photo is just too old now. I'm sick of buying $40 cartridges for it.

I'm completely going to stick with Epson and now I'm trying to decide if I should really go out there and get something a little higher end so I can print up larger format papers.

I've got to start decorating my house with Slip photos (and moe.!)

Does any of youse photogs have a decent photo printer? Any suggestions or tips?

well, I guess SM could probably help me with the epsons eh? I pulled these up off of the Henry's site.

EPSON STYLUS PHOTO R300 - 239.99
EPSON STYLUS PHOTO R800 - 529.99
EPSON STYLUS PHOTO 1280 - 569.99
EPSON STYLUS PHOTO 2200 - 999.99
EPSON STYLUS PRO 4000 W/ULTRACHROME INK - 2899.99
sm
Beantown Rocker

the r800 is awesome, but if you want to print larger than 8x10, go with the 2200. i wouldnt waste my time with the 1280, you'll be pullin' your hair out every time you gotta replace your entire colour ink catridge, just cuz the damn thing burned through magenta too quick again.
bouche
Alsoa

That's the spirit!

8 x 10 is probably enough for me, but hot damn, 13 x 19 would be the SHIT!
iandigstheslip
Mudslide

screw the printer, all inks are waaaay too taxed. You'll get better prints, probably for less money if you go to a photo lab. Not to mention the archival qualities of actual photographs vs. inkjet prints.
Specifically, find a lab that has a "Frontier" printer. This machine will print your digital images on the same printer that prints from film, exposing your digital images onto photo paper before a run through the chemistry.
Trust me, I know. I work at a photo lab that has one, and my prints look amazing!
-Ian
If theres' one thing I know to be true: let what you love, be what you do.
bouche
Alsoa

I don't doubt the photo lab quality at all. I would like to print up images on demand along with song lyrics and recipes.

Doesn't the R800 use an ink that won't degrade for at least 100 years?
Phrazz

printers

Epson, Canon and HP are all top-notch. If you got the money, the "archive ink" printers are worth it. I have an 11x17 printer I've never used to print at that size...call me lazy, but I never had the need. Posters can be easily outsourced, and for pro printing, bring your work to a pro shop (like Ian's, if you live in the Bay Area :) ). Even for quantity printing, it's hard to beat .19 for 4x6 prints. Take a sheet of $1. photo paper and try to guess how many 4x6 prints you can cut out of it. ;-} I use my printer mostly for hand-outs and CD covers. For about 2 - 3 bills you can get a very nice printer, and the extra couple hundred won't do much unless you have a magnifying glass to compare. For general use, go with speed and cost. Some inks are more than a trainny fluid change for your car...at this cost, the pro jobs will be much more attractive.
down2nothing

Go with the 2200. I have one and it is by far the best printer out there. With the epson premium semigloss paper, the prints are perfect, just as good as prints from a darkroom. You can find them for about $600, worth every penny.
bouche
Alsoa

Thanks for all of the input!

I experimented with the Future Shop's online photo orderign system.

I ordered an 11x17 for about 8 bucks CDN on Sunday night and I received it yesterday. It was pretty speedy.

I may just not worry about an 11x17 (or higher) printer since it really is pretty easy to have things printed.

the r800 seems to have the best bang for the buck if I can live with the uber-sizes.