Photos from the Independent last night

Photos of shows, people, places and things.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

lumpy
From the Gecko

Photos from the Independent last night

I fooled around with a digital SLR (D70) last night that I borrowed from work. My first time using one, and I just had it set on Auto last night (with no flash). I'd love advice on how to take better low-light concert shots (PM me). Out of the 100+ photos I snapped last night, very few came out decent....

A few photos...
bitchtits
Alsoa

Nice shots lumpy, in a day and age of people who think taking pictures is easy, and anyone can do it you shine through. That said that there are two GREAT pictures in that selection, the long shot of Brad under the beam of light and the last one with Sonya and Brad where he looks like he's gonna beat her with his guitar midst guitar solo. Show more pics

Brian
Thrice you have rescued me from falling grace;
once when I was a beggar and you were the rain on my face,
once when I was crippled and you carried me,
and once when the blindness of others taught me how to see.

Phrazz

nice shots - low light hints

Try reposting with the EXIF data and we can help more.

In general, taking pix with low light requires the following:

1. Low-f lens (2.0 or lower is ideal)
2. High ISO (1600 or greater)
3. Slow shutter speed (1/speed is lowest you should go)
4. Use a tripod (or fixed object like railing or pole)
5. Bump up the EV (Exposure Varation) by +2 or more.
6. Good lighting (hard to control, but wait 'til it gets bright).
7. Overshoot (take more than you need to) and pray.
8. Bump up exposure (shadow, midtones) and clean noise in the studio (post processing).
9. Use a flash (bounce, just a touch) if at all possible (cheating? ;-}).
10. Get very close (exponentially increases light density).

Those are the top 10 I can think of, but it also requires a great deal of practice as well as a body and lens that can cut the mustard. The Nikon d700 is a nice rig, but it looks like the lens was a little soft. Always get the best lens you can find, even if the body isn't ideal. Good glass is the most important thing. Also try to talk to the light guy and tell him you want to show off the lights. That usually works for most of us concert shooters.

There are other tricks and tips with shooting concerts, but these more involve access and social factors, and other aspects like publication. I'll cover those in another chapter. ;-}

[also, it's also important to use spot metering in most situations...]

-Photons are your friends,

Phrazz
Every picture tells a story.
pogo
Even Rats

Thanks for sharing the shots, Lumpy.

BTW, just as the Sonya/Slip show started, I shared a bowl with someone who was taking shots with a nice SLR (not sure if it was a D70) . Was that by chance you?

Anyway, thanks again for posting your stuff.
lumpy
From the Gecko

wasn't me pogo - I saw a guy with a big zoom lens shooting right at the start of the set and would love to see what he came up with.

Thanks bitchtits - I'll throw some others in the shared folder soon. Phrazz - thanks! Any rec's on a newbie guide to the terms you've thrown out? I'll see about posting the exif data - if there's a site you like for online photo sharing, do tell.