ISO a small digital camera, need advice

Photos of shows, people, places and things.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

ISO a small digital camera, need advice

im looking to buy a small digi cam, something like the Canon PowerShot SD900. thats the only cam that ive looked into so far. any ideas or advice is appreciated, and please include the msrp.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

that site has a whole bunch of reviews and what you want to find in a camera, if its really small or if its semi compact...

dan
headnugg
Invocation

I was going to come into this thread and tell you to definitely get a Canon whatever you do........

Not sure how small you're looking for, but I've been thrilled w/my A610. You can get it pretty cheap now, or you can go slightly higher w/the A620, or even better w/the just released A630.
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.

hey diesel, i've been trying to reply to your pm, but i keep getting this...
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@sliplive.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the reque

basically, the short answer to your question about the differences between the cameras we were talking about, are the lenses, sensor, and memory type... panasonic has the stabilizer built into their lenses, so a point for them, fuji uses a wicked sensor that does a better job in most situations (esp. low-light) than most other cameras, so a point for them there, but the SD memory card used in panasonics is a much more common and widely used card than the fuji memory (xD), which also has proven to have some durability issues... so, another point for the fx01/fx3...

if you want the much longer answers, i can email you my initial response...

cheers, man.
sm
Beantown Rocker

and it seems i got logged out when i was trying to post....

sometimes i cant make this place work.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

dude, stop trying to break sliplive! :lol:

ok, its come down this: the canon powerShot sd630 or the fx3. truth be told, i found a good deal on dell for the 630, and sorta alread bought it ($260 shipped), but if you think the fx3 is better, ill cancel my order.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
sm
Beantown Rocker

nah, i think you'll be fine, man.... i mean, my personal opinion is that the fx3 is better - mostly because of the stabilized lens, it's just a necessary feature for me in a p&s style camera - but really, the sd630 is a good camera and it'll do a good job for you.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

thansk for your advice peeps. the camera isnt really for me anyway, its a gift. 8)
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

i wonder when I will upgrade to digital...

who knows!
Phrazz

don't go digital

...there still needs to be some die-hard analog types to keep us digi-heads honest. Plus, why would you want the lower quality? :wink:

-Phrazz

P.S.: Pats really blew it this time. Way too many turnovers (not the blueberry kind, either).