I want to buy a digital camera

Photos of shows, people, places and things.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

headnugg
Invocation

I want to buy a digital camera

I would finally like to purchase a digital camera, and I really don't even know where to begin in finding one and starting research, etc.

I know I would probably spend up to $500, but obviously less is better, but I don't want to sacrifice anything I need in paying less.

One camera I remember liking is the Canon G5(I believe) and I liked it because it had a viewer that you could move around so you could hold the camera over your head and point the viewer down so you could still see where you were aiming.

I'm looking for a camera with a movable viewer and also a camera that can take rapid shots. I usually use my parents camera and it takes almost 10 seconds from the time you take a picture until the camera is ready to take another one, and in doing that you sometimes miss the best shots.

Ideally, I would also like a camera that can really zoom in well without losing quality on the picture.

Anyone have any suggestions as to a specific model, or a website or something that can help me w/my research?
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
Phrazz

Canon G5/G6 (can't go wrong)

At a bit over $500, the Canon G6 is a quality starter camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/C ... non_g6.asp

I moved to a G2 (the predecessor to the G2) after my first digi (a Kodak which did it's work until it got stepped on at a show ;-}). One of the shots I took with the G2 actually got published in Billboard Magazine, so it definitely can pay the bills if you use it right. The tilt-and-swivel screen is a godsend if you want to get those key over-the-head shots.

The 400 ISO at the high end is a bit low for really low light, but you still should get some good shots in dim conditions due to the f2.0 - 3.0 lens.

You don't want to pay much less than $500 as you get into the "spy cams" at this low price. You could probably get a 300D used for about that with the base lens, which isn't bad for rock 'n' roll (but low light with that lens isn't great, it's more of an outdoor lens).

For about a hundred bucks more you can get the Fuji 9000, which is a "semi-pro" all the way, much better features for the buck:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms9000/

This is probably better than the Canon equivalent, but I haven't used these yet so I can only go by what DPReview tells us (a highly respected photo review site...I used this to get my 300D and am getting "ready" to move up to the 20D or 5D some day next year).

Olympus also has some nice cameras in the 5-700 range, but the newest ones will drop a lot in price after Christmas (if you can wait you will save nearly a hundred bucks). You could also get a G5 used for under 500, but there's a lot to be said for a new camera unless you're guaranteed the used one is in mint condition (noone got snotties on the image sensor, etc).

If the swing-out LCD is the factor, go with the G6 since it's the most advanced design in that style. There aren't many with that...most have the fixed LCD because swinging the LCD is just about inviting it to get crunched off (mine did OK and is now happily used by a good friend of mine who also does concert photography).

The 10sec lag can be lots of things. Invest in a good CF/SD RAM card. I only use Lexar. My latest is an 80x 2-gig, and this moves faster than the camera. The 350XT is nearly 0 start-up time and shutter lag, but then you're looking at 8 bills and that's maybe out of your range (though worth the bucks if you want to get serious and can live w/o the LCD fold-out).

Now zoom is another factor and good cameras can give you up to 10x optical zoom (you should never use digital zoom if you want quality), but you have to get IS (Image Stabilization) at anything over 5x (roughly). Also at these zoom levels you need much more light (about ten times as much ;-}) because you can't cheat physics (optics). Photons can only be coaxed so far w/o a drink and a meal. They don't just get up and go where you want...stray dogs need curbing and all.

:)

In any case, take your time and talk to lots of photographers. I'm sure a few here will chime in and I think a few have used various Canons (perhaps the most widely used of all camera brands now, and definitely the widest ranges of lenses by far...just look at what peeps use at pro games and concerts...Nikons are nice, but a bit less popular these days).

Even if you do eventually grow into a pro SLR, the G5/G6 will still be nice for the convenience and over-the-head shots. My other camera is a "spy cam" because I want something I can smuggle into shows that don't allow cameras (pfffffaw!).

-Shutterbugs unite,

Phrazz
headnugg
Invocation

thanks for the advice, I'm checking out both those reviews now. That is a great website, it seems to be the first website to come up when I search any camera on yahoo. If money wasn't an issue, would a digital SLR be the way to go?
Phrazz

Instis vs SLR digis

If money weren't an issue, you should get the Canon 1DS, but not sure if you want to pay ten times your original budget. Starting with a simpler camera is ok since you can still keep that as your "party camera" when you go with an SLR. The body is just part of the cost, but the lenses are what get you. A good L series zoom lens can set you back a K or more. But you can get a 300 or 350 and the 50mm f1.4 guy for under a grand and be in business (the 18-55 zoom that comes with these isn't too nice, but maybe you won't notice).

If you've done photography before with a film SLR, having a digi SLR gives you creative potential. However, I don't know of any SLRs that have the tilt-out screen, so the G6 series has an advantage there.

With an SLR you're really going to pay more like $1500 when you get a good lens, case, batteries and memory card....

Too bad I'm not ready to part with my old 300 or I'd sell it cheap....

-Snap it,

Phrazz
headnugg
Invocation

hey phrazz, whatta u know about the Canon Powershot A610, if anything? You seem to know a lot about photography so I figured I'd ask you. I did already check it out at that site you told me about, but wanted to know if you had any direct knowledge. I kinda decided to go cheaper w/this one and go big next time.