Slip Pix from Southpaw

Photos of shows, people, places and things.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Phrazz

Slip Pix from Southpaw

Slip at Southpaw - Oct. 8, 2005

10/08/2005: Southpaw: Brooklyn, NY
Set I: Soft Machine, Even Rats, I Hate Love, Moderate Threat > Cowboy Up, Paper Birds, Children Of December, Suffocation Keep, Poor Boy, Sometimes True To Nothing
Encore: Life In Disguise, Miss Prism^, If One of Us Should Fall
Notes: ^aka "Thunder Rose", "Freeze" and "Brazilian". The best slip show I have ever seen! [ jeffro - Sun Oct 9 2005 ]
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

thank you, i love the feeling
Jeffro
Lion on a Rock

awesome pics Phrazz. Good running into you at the show.
Katie
Invocation

Nice, you managed to capture some great moments there... not only a photo of all three of them singing, but also a rare one of Marc smiling. (Not that the man never smiles, but that it's impossible to capture on film.) Thanks for the crowd shots too, looks like it was a fun night!
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Awesome as usual Phrazz! Thanks for sharing.
macfly
Get Me with Fuji

but also a rare one of Marc smiling. (Not that the man never smiles, but that it's impossible to capture on film.)
here's a happy Marc from the Ice Cream Truck that you captured, Phrazz :)

tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

messing around with photoshop during schoolin, hope you dont mind phrazz, very nice photography by the way. :D

Right click> view image if they dont show up

sm
Beantown Rocker

nice to see a familiar face in the background... canadian representation all over the place! :)

Slip photos, people and clever Photoshop adjustments

Mr. Gaboni, these artful applications show that you have a future in album artwork design. I certainly don't mind the alteration of the original -- indeed, these are unique pieces of their own and your own original creations. Very cool technique and excellent results.

Mr. Scottography: they let Canadians back in the States? Ahhh...just kidding. I might end up there someday myself. I will wear my "Canada kicks ass" T-shirt at the next show and see if I get any introductions. :)

Katie: thanks for pointing out these rarities. Some day I hope to be able to add captions and keywords to photos. FlickR is pretty good with these things and some of the newer gallery apps can help...it's only a matter of time. In retrospect, I see Marc smile often, but it's usually fleeting...maybe since he's got lots to think about with such complex phrasing and interleaved melodies and counterposition. I wonder if there's a difference in a smile from a happy moment on stage, versus a smile from something they see in the crowd? I need a two-way camera to pick up these moments...or one of those fish-eye lenses and being in the right spot.

One of my regrets with this show was not switching lenses around to get some close-ups, but at a certain point in the evening, I had to realize I was probably the most dangerous thing to my equipment. :twisted: When I got back to the party, there was only hard liquor left--which turned a fairly drunk photographer into a co-captain of the international liver olympics committee. [I only have an alcohol problem when it runs out. :P ]

I've been slowly shopping around to upgrade lenses (will probably buy one directly from Ian as he now works at the #1 NYC photo retailer) but I have to decide to to fixed or high-quality zoom/wide. The 16-35 2.8 L is pretty nice, but that costs more than my camera body. At a certain point I'm going to upgrade to the 5D, but it's still nosebleed pricey right now and I think it'll go down hundreds by the end of the year. I need to get a high-quality zoom also for the outdoor shots...from what I've been reading on PBase and Photo.Net, it seems the 70-200mm 2.8L IS is the way to go, but at a grand and a half, that's another big investment which would take a wedding or two to pay off (or when I get that check from Jan Wenner ;-}).

These Southpaw pix were mostly taken with my trusty Sigma 20mm 1.8, which is a fine lens for the money. I've also been using the 50mm Canon 1.4 prime for indoor non-flash museum shots, but this lens is also good for dimly lit bar/music photos (though the focal length multiplier of the cheaper dSLRs is limiting, which is why I need a full-format very soon). To any other aspiring photographers out there...definitely invest in the lowest-F lenses you can. The difference from 2.0 to 4.0 is substantial when trying to take low-light shots in smoky bars. Film is more forgiving than digital, especially at high ISOs (but has higher post-production costs).
sm
Beantown Rocker

^^^ that you, phrazz?

where does your buddy Ian work, B&H? that place is amazing... i manage a Henry's up here...

hey man, those lenses you're thinking of are pretty sweet... but have you considered Canon's new F4 L series line-up? well, some of it is new, some isnt... i know you sacrifice the F-stop (for low-light), but the upshots i see are these: a) they're a little lighter so handholding is a little easier, b) you could just as easily ramp up the ISO an extra step, and canon's are usually good at handling that, and c) the price.

17-40 F4 L
70-200 F4 L
and i think the latest is the 24 - 105 F4 L

all beautiful stuff.... just thought i'd throw it out there for ya.... although, admittedly, im a nikon guy, myself. :wink:

ps: if i see a canada kicks ass t-shirt in Ithaca, i'll be sure to introduce myself. :)