New Camera

Photos of shows, people, places and things.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

New Camera

Ok, so I have just found in my basement, my uncles Pentax ME Super. With it I have a Motor Drive, Telephoto lense, regular lense, and a 2x zoom. I also have a Flash.

Has anyone here used one of these before. What they are specificly good at taking pictures. I found that regular lamps did not give enough illumination for a proper shot. Any tips?

With the flash on, it came out good.

Peace

Dan
sm
Beantown Rocker

hey dan, thats a pretty sweet old camera. those old pentax's are workhorses, pretty versatile all around. i really like the look and feel you get with those old cameras and a straight up 50mm normal lens.. great stuff.

for your lighting problem, you're gonna have to do 1 of 2 things, or maybe even both - get a higher film speed.. fuji makes a kickass 800 speed colour called NPH, and the superia 1600 will get the job done, too.. if you like black and white with a sweet grain structure, check out some ilford or kodak 3200 speed.. expect those kinda grainier results, but used in the right setting, its pretty cool. the other thing you can do is open up your f-stops as wide as you have to to allow all the light in that you can. you'll sacrifice depth of field, but thats life.

have fun!
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

I also have an old Rolleicord III
where do you find 120mm film, and I am so not sure how to load it up, I know where everything is but hmm.

I am really enjoying this new found passion.

no more point and shoot!

Dan
sm
Beantown Rocker

"no more point and shoot!"

attaboy!! :D

120 film... any "Pro" camera shop in your area should have 120 film. your everyday consumer kiosk/retailers probably wouldnt have that stuff. i dont know what is available in your area, but im sure if need be, and you really got into it, you could order from B&H (in New York) off their website... you can even order from our website ( www.henrys.com ) in USD... although, i dont know why you would, unless you really couldnt find it anywhere.

something nice to try with 120 film, because the film size is larger and the grain structure better, you can overexpose a helluva lot and still retain VERY acceptable results... pick up some 800 speed film, and shoot it at like 200 or 100 iso... you'll get really punchy, contrasted images that still look good blown up... i've made 16x20's with that technique with no noticeable grain structure.

try some cross-processing, too.... shoot slide film and have the lab process it in regular C-41 colour chemical.... dude, there is so much fun shit you can do with film.. i kinda wish i was still in it....
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

I missed signing up for photography this year, maybe i can hop into one durring my study

oh well.

Dan
sm
Beantown Rocker

or just have fun and learn on your own. trial and error, and sometimes the errors produce some damn fine results.

check out photographers websites, and if you see something you like, dont be shy about emailing them for tips... i've done it in the past and its worked out... feel free to throw any questions my way, too, if you want to.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

i just found the magnesium flash bulbs
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

Phrazz

Ummm...

What is this, eBay?

[sorry, couldn't resist]

-Phrazz
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

no its a crime scene
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

anyone who knows their photo $hit

will the new pentax autofocus, or manual lenses work on my early 80's me super?

~Dan