raq...worth seeing tonight?

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tim
The Weight of Solomon

raq...worth seeing tonight?

raq is playing in town tonight and i've heard alot of mixed things about them. some people say they're amazing and others say they're just jamband garbage. who's seen them live and are they worth seeing?

i would normally go and decide for myself but thursdays are always my longest day in terms of work and other shit i have to take care of. i went to see perpetual groove last week and that just turned out to be a waste of time, i could have slept in my own bed and not have had to pay a cover charge to hear a jamband that nevers breaks out of the 4/4 rut. basically, i don't want to go out and end up seeing just another "jamband" tonight, if i'm going to feel like shit tomorrow i at least want to rock out hard tonight.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

I've only seen them once.. so I'm sure some one elses opinion would be better than mine.. but they weren't bad... just kinda sounded like a phish rip-off... really... but I can't give a real opinion...

incidently... gotta love the random monkey knife fight picture...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I like em. Kinda Zappa, Phish inspired. I reccomend it!

edit:

Funny, I got a call from them while I pressed submit for this post.

Stream this show I recorded with them from thier site: http://digicat.thropter.com/raq/raq2004 ... se.mp3.m3u
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I'm gonna see them Friday night now that I think about it. Let me know how you like it.
Katie
Invocation

I've seen them a couple times. Their style is kind of jamband-y, and yeah, they get a lot of Phish comparisons... but they're good at what they do. Last time I saw them (at the Higher Ground re-openening) I was actually pretty impressed, and had a lot of fun despite being a little skeptical before-hand.
JV
Get Me with Fuji

I saw them back in 2001-2002 up in burlington when they were pretty much unknown. Saw them before and right after Stoops (the keyboardist) joined the band. To be honest, I think they're a band with great guitar and keys, but mediocre bass/drums. I don't go out of my way to see them, cause they're just not my thing, but I can see why some people really like them.

Verde Burro kicks ass.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Did you go to the show? It looks like I'll be doing thier live record. They have an albums worth of material but can't afford to hit the studio so were gonna track a string of shows and hopefully the magic will happen and we can put a record together with the cuts. Let us know how you liked it.

I think I'll be seeing them tomorrow in Hartford. Anyone wanna come?
tim
The Weight of Solomon

unfortunately i wasn't able to make it. i didn't get out of work until 9 and then i had to run a bunch of errands and didn't get home until about midnight. there's always next time :roll: