Punk rock whoohoo

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

gabe
Lion on a Rock

Punk rock whoohoo

Does anyone here like ska or punk type business. or has everyone gone through that phase? it's weird 'cause i've always liked ska and punk bands and now i'm really into bands like the Slip and Phish and the like while still retaining those roots and my punky friends are confused.

oh no social/music labels

what bands?
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Every heard of Slightly Stoopid? I might work on a DVD with them and I think they are in that SKA catagory. Curious if people know of them.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

oh hell yeah. i was really into the punk and ska from like '93 until it's commercial explosion in '97. main reason was because it was so accessable when i was in high school. i had some friends in a ska band in high school and they'd open up for bands like the toasters and every other act off the moon ska nyc label when they came around. it was also a really easy scene for us younger folks to get involved with because most of the shows were all ages. we used to see bands like the bosstones and blink 182 way before they made it big and found their way onto mtv(not counting the show 120 minutes which was probably the best offering mtv ever gave the world music wise).

i still listen to alot of those bands from time to time especially when i'm in the mood for something short and sweet. i really dig these bands,

the bosstones
the pietasters
the specials
less than jake
mxpx
rancid
mustard plug
10ft pole
hepcat
the toasters
the pilfers
h20
suicide machines
millencolin

ahh the memories.
gabe
Lion on a Rock

yeaah that's what i'm talking about. rancid, less than jake, and suicide machines are some of my favorites. have you heard operation ivy? they're the band from whose ashes rancid arose and they've been my favorite since god knows how long. it's funny to say "my favorite band would have to be either the kings of skapunk or the illest new funkjazz jam band."
tim
The Weight of Solomon

of course i listen to op ivy, any ska/punk fan who doesn't should be hung.

UNITY
Cactus148927
Yaki Soba

I saw slightly stoopid at the Sprite Remix tour...went to see Robert Randolph and The Roots

I thought slightly stoopid were absolutely horrible, they sounded like they were trying real hard to sound like sublime, but they didn't sound like sublime, they just sounded like they sucked
Treefrog
Lion on a Rock

Honestly I really love

Sex pistols
Dead kennedy's
Minor Threat
Green day's new album is great.And I'm not afraid to say it.
misfits
The dead milkmen
Tara
Alsoa

Scott you and I could trade CD collections and be totally happy I think!

I still like Operation Ivy. I don't have the cd anymore but I was just at a party recently where someone busted out that cd and I was psyched. I don't listen to punk like I used to. I ended up selling most of my stuff but I held on to every single dead milkmen album put out haha!

MINOR THREAT? Yay for Ian Mckay! I love Fugazi and Embrace as well! Has anyone ever heard NomeansNo? They are my all time favorite punk band...ever. No one I know had ever heard of them (except my old high school friends)

This new guy I work with just burned me a bunch of indie rock/punk cd's so i'm really happy tonight.

Oh and Gabe...I like the new avatar :)
Tara

"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." F. Nietzsche
Chris
Mudslide

Up The Punks!

I 'll admit that i still listen to against me, dead kennedys, against all authority, and a few others.
Last edited by Chris on Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

Don't know how you could not love Bad Religion... or the dead milkmen... ( I once saw a band called manic mule (jamband from philly) cover "the thing only eats hippies".. it was awwweeeessssooommmmeee)

I was into a lot of local bands and bands that came in from pittsburgh and that area... also also wik...

face to face
pennywise
nofx
me first and the gimme gimmes
rancid
Sex pistols
Black Flag (can't believe no has mentioned them... )
Henrietta Collins and the wife beating childhaters (Rollins side project)
Angry Fisherman

The list could go on and on...

Unfortunately, Like Tara.. I ended losing most of those cd's... (got a sleeve of over a 100 discs stolen out of my truck during of all things a DMB concert... we didn't even go inside... we just got wasted in the parking lot... ) But some of my stuff I still have on tape... like the black flag... and angry fisherman... and coinmonster.. and I'll put it in on a nice day when I'm driving.. :twisted: man... sometimes it really makes you feel old...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Seems like alot of you were big on Punk. In the 80's when I skated alot I definitly had some Sex Pistols and Ramones tape but I was more into heavy metal. I went right from Metallica/Megadeth fan club into Pink Floyd once I heard them for the first time in like 1989-90. I was HUGE on Floyd and caught them in 94. I've been to over 1000 concerts (I think) and Pink Floyd still tops the list. Memories... :roll:
tim
The Weight of Solomon

Pstehley wrote:(got a sleeve of over a 100 discs stolen out of my truck during of all things a DMB concert... we didn't even go inside... we just got wasted in the parking lot... )
wow...you went to a DMB show solely for the lot scene?!?!
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

tim wrote:
Pstehley wrote:(got a sleeve of over a 100 discs stolen out of my truck during of all things a DMB concert... we didn't even go inside... we just got wasted in the parking lot... )
wow...you went to a DMB show solely for the lot scene?!?!
we were *cough*working*cough*
...... plus we didn't want to spend that much on tickets.. and at star lake in the parking lot you can hear the show perfectly...
we listened to the show.. I actually used to like dave... then that just went south...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
JEFFfromNC

Yea Pat I agree with ya.
Elisha and I did a DMB 4 or 5 show run a coupel years ago.
It was horriable!!! Every show was like a carbon copy.
No improvising, no "mixing it up".....
I haven't listen to them once after that.
“We search for acceptance, yet we give not freely...”
"There is a lot more to people, then you might give them credit for."
Addictions: I spent many years unknowingly acquiring them, now I spend every minute trying to fight them.
Tara
Alsoa

Haha well i'm sorry for your loss Pat but i'm thinking about the shock and horror those DMB thieves must have been in when they realized exactly what they stole :lol:

I went to that Dave & Friends thing...you know to represent Trey yo :wink: It's was so awful. I mean the music was all right but the scene was wack. Nobody was even dancing. And amazingly enough it didn't seem like that many of them knew who the hell Trey was. Or maybe they just didn't like him. I don't know...it was a waste of time and resources though.
Tara

"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." F. Nietzsche