Sarah Page leaving Barr Brothers

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Sarah Page leaving Barr Brothers

Well.....thats interesting

https://www.jambase.com/article/sarah-p ... r-brothers

Surprised she isnt finishing up the tour? It will be weird to still have "The Barr Brothers" but no Sarah
Caleb
Get Me with Fuji

Re: Sarah Page leaving Barr Brothers

At this point, lets just call them the Slip and they can play all their songs!
My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Caleb wrote:At this point, lets just call them the Slip and they can play all their songs!
Exactly what I thought, any chance Marc is around?

I thought the Barr Brothers were built on the harp sound, it seems like from their last album they've been going away from that. I'm not sure if that was part of the reason for Sarah moving on, or this has been something in the works for a while but definitely will be interesting to see what direction they go from here.
mwred
Lion on a Rock

Seeing them in Cambridge in late November, I was struck by how much *more* prominet Sarah was than the last few times I'd seen them. Her harp - while often with a heavily processed sound - was more up in the mix, she sang more often and more powerfully, and there was the wild electric sarangi thing. This is a surprise, and the language from her FB post about this does make me wonder whose choice this was. Seems like a shame - I do like the pedal steel, but the more unusual instrumentation was part of the appeal.
http://www.mandorlamusic.net - presenting live jazz & other creative music in intimate Boston area spaces
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

mwred wrote:Seeing them in Cambridge in late November, I was struck by how much *more* prominet Sarah was than the last few times I'd seen them. Her harp - while often with a heavily processed sound - was more up in the mix, she sang more often and more powerfully, and there was the wild electric sarangi thing. This is a surprise, and the language from her FB post about this does make me wonder whose choice this was. Seems like a shame - I do like the pedal steel, but the more unusual instrumentation was part of the appeal.
yeah the "I wont be carrying my collaboration with The Barr Brothers...", i mean, i thought "The Barr Brothers" were Andrew, Brad and Sarah, this almost sounds like she felt like an outsider but who knows. She was a huge part of their sound, i guess less so on Queen of the breakers. A pretty significant loss.
tote
Get Me with Fuji

They played a sold out show at the Music Hall of Williamsburg in December, me and my wife had such a good time we trucked it on down to the next night's show in Philly, we get to the show, and it hits us: no harp!

I couldn't put my finger on it but I could tell this was more than just a "family emergency", as Brad put it from the stage.

The contrast between those two shows was striking. They had a large vibraphone on stage, which the bass player's wife had played on a couple of songs, but it honestly didn't really add much to the sound. Still, they gave it their all and it was a fairly strong show. As far as I know Sarah played only one other show after that, in CA, and soon after the announcement.

Given how abrupt, I honestly can't help wondering what might have happened. At any rate, I love the Breakers and seeing the boys finally get some long overdue recognition, and hope this doesn't foil it.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

tote wrote:They played a sold out show at the Music Hall of Williamsburg in December, me and my wife had such a good time we trucked it on down to the next night's show in Philly, we get to the show, and it hits us: no harp!

I couldn't put my finger on it but I could tell this was more than just a "family emergency", as Brad put it from the stage.

The contrast between those two shows was striking. They had a large vibraphone on stage, which the bass player's wife had played on a couple of songs, but it honestly didn't really add much to the sound. Still, they gave it their all and it was a fairly strong show. As far as I know Sarah played only one other show after that, in CA, and soon after the announcement.

Given how abrupt, I honestly can't help wondering what might have happened. At any rate, I love the Breakers and seeing the boys finally get some long overdue recognition, and hope this doesn't foil it.
yeah i wonder if it was some internal strife that lead to them parting ways. The way that Sarah talks about her ending her "collaboration" with the Barr Brothers makes me think that she considered herself as an outsider who felt like she didnt have voice in the direction of the band. To me the harp is such an essential part of their sound, it would be like if the organ player from the Doors left. I dont know, its going to be interesting to see what direction they head in the future.
Last edited by Kevin_Kjr on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I had been wondering what was up since she had some absences from the shows this past tour. She sounded great at the last show I saw in SF at the GAMH though!
Joe Higley
Lion on a Rock

harrymcq wrote:I had been wondering what was up since she had some absences from the shows this past tour. She sounded great at the last show I saw in SF at the GAMH though!
Ditto, GAMH was really great. I never would have guessed that something was happening within the band at that time, and I'm shocked to hear this news. And so soon after dropping Queens...
Hear Here
Joe Higley
Lion on a Rock

Has anyone seen the Barr Brothers play since Sarah's departure? What did you think? What was the lineup? How did the sound/vibe hold up sans harp?

Thanks.
Hear Here
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

They played CBS Saturday Morning show here in NYC pretty soon after she left. I hadn't even heard she'd left and was confused as to her whereabouts when I watched what I had DVR'd. It's up on youtube... I think they still sound really good, FWIW, but check it out for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z71yskL2K2I
John from CT / wheaton college, MA
Joe Higley
Lion on a Rock

johnhk4 wrote:They played CBS Saturday Morning show here in NYC pretty soon after she left. I hadn't even heard she'd left and was confused as to her whereabouts when I watched what I had DVR'd. It's up on youtube... I think they still sound really good, FWIW, but check it out for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z71yskL2K2I
Thanks, good to see that. That was about 1 month after I saw them at GAMH in SF, my last time seeing Sarah with them. Seeing the CBS show without Sarah was weird but still good. Wondering what the next studio release will be like...
Hear Here